Impala Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts
The 2011 3.9L 9C1 Police Package was able to hit 139 MPH on E85 138 MPH on 87 Octane so I would guess about 130ish for the 3.5L.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I thought the 06-09 SS was faster?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 2006-2009 Impala SS tops out at 148, electronically limited. Capable of more, but I think they figured there's no need for anything faster.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Oh I don't know. The SS only had a 4 speed auto, right? That means not as great of a top speed compared to the 6-Speed.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Number of gears doesn't really matter. Electronically limited sure, but obviously the limiter had to be removed on the 3.6 test model as well, so I would say the SS was faster.

·
Banned
368 Posts
I mean that some cars are "Redline limited" when it comes to top speed, and not governed. I'm pretty sure the SS was redline limited, meaning it ran out of top gear to keep it going faster with a 4-Speed Auto.

·
Banned
368 Posts
156 MPH Top Speed for the 06 SS. 5.3L Ungoverned.

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

From Car and Driver:

Despite the antics of the overwhelmed tires, hard acceleration still leaves the driver giddy - at least for the first few runs. We certainly can't argue with this kind of performance from a family sedan that starts at $26,990 - there's that 0-to-60 time of 5.6 seconds, the quarter-mile turns in 14.2 seconds at 101 mph, and the ungoverned top speed is 154 mph. Much to our surprise, the SS turned out to be 0.1 second faster from 0 to 60 and in the quarter-mile than the identically powered but 132-pounds-lighter Grand Prix GXP we tested last fall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
i have been busy and not online. i did not get the governor off... not really a need to since i have not needed to get above 120 LOL.. and have a take home now since i'm on-call... so no need for any of the added toys. also it was around 400 yards not 300 sorry abut that. also it's not illegal if i'm on the job and doing my job. i'm always on the job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2007 3.9L LTZ cuts out at 121MPH i used to race on track and can handle cars (dont need to flame me) and I am in florida where our roads are also runways, (actually I have drove on the shuttles landing strip with my dad, before 9/11) .. when you have 40 miles of straight road and no cars for miles ya gotta have fun.. that said my car is due for a new transmission, so yes going fast wastes gas and dear god dont do it in traffic.. i had a flat doing around 100MPH (this is normal in florida on the highway) and I didnt feel it until i dropped my speed to 75mph.. thank god it was the back tire and a RWD car (not the impala at that time)..

edit my picture is over 14 years old.. just saying.. damn google..

41 - 54 of 54 Posts