Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I thought we all knew that, but he is saying he is a cop and "needs" to catch people in his personal car, which is beyond stupid and extremely illegal.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
any speed above 40 is dangerous. cars aren't even tested at highway speed so the crash rating is irrelevant... when I ran into the back of the car on the bridge this winter a police man came to the scene in his personal car with his kids in the back seat. so its not out of the question using a personal car it seems. at least here. but my situation was minor

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Responding to an accident is one thing, anybody can do that. He is talking about pursuits, off-duty, in his personal car. That is stupid, reckless, and extremely illegal. You are bound to the same laws we are buddy. Lower your tire pressure to 5psi all around, I hear that will disable the governor.

·
Registered
545 Posts
you has the fastest 3.5 in the world.. 300 yards is only 900 feet, that only 240 feet further than a 1/8 mile..

unless your talking KLM an hour then that would be about right, thats 68 mph

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's been 4 days now, I'm thinking we either ran him off, or he was just trolling to begin with.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
He could be a cop that likes to street race during his off hours? lol

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I figured out. He's Brian O'Conner going under cover as a street racer...

·
Super Moderator
18,499 Posts
Maybe the man was in pursuit of an offender...? Ane we all know a regular Impala won't hit 145, but they WILL hit 115. If its set for 108, then he has lost his suspect....

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 2012 Impala went 150 mph in the Michigan State police tests on E85 and 149 on regular. The 2006 Impala went 142 mph in the 2006 test. I know at one point my 2007 ex-police Impala went fast enough to blow the inside fender liners off of their rivets and into the front of the tire and it had a light bar on the roof slowing it down. So they are certainly capable of better then 115.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I was wondering about that the other day - what could/would happen if you go above the speed rating on a tire? Would it blow out or what? Just curious...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Speed rating is mostly about heat dissipation, the higher the rating, the better it cools itself. Exceeding a speed rating usually won't hurt anything, but if you sustain speed past the rating you can have a blowout.

Reactions: jtrosky
21 - 40 of 54 Posts