77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’m up in Southeast Virginia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m planning on attending the Carlisle GM Nats summer 2022…hoping they’ll be a few Impalas there

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Installed the hi-flow 3rd cat and Flowmaster HP2 in place of resonator.
Not much louder than stock but it has a nice tone and none of that buzzy feedback noise at low rpm. (see previous sound clip)
I’m also happy even tho the 3.6 is a DI engine, the exhaust finishers are staying relatively clean

·
Registered
2016 Impala Limited LT. 3.6L Engine. No mods. Bought used (rental) with 46,000 Mi, now had 90,000
341 Posts
My wife is mad at you now because I am now bugging her to ler me blow a bunch of money on new flashy floormats and threshold trim.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@VladThe I’m sorry boss, but your wife might be mad for awhile since I’m still not done! LOL
“Luna” is the Latin name for the Roman Moon Goddess so it’s only natural she should look good at night
I do love a good darkness shot even if it is more parking lot light than moonlight

My Avery wrap came today so on my next day off, weather permitting, I’ll take a stab at wrapping the door spears and I’m still working on grinding the lettering off the trunk trim since I wanna wrap that too

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Took another shot at vinyl wrap today with the trunk trim. The Avery vinyl was much easier to work with than VViiVid but it also has a texture/matte finish vs the gloss. This looks good but I do prefer the gloss look. The embossed “Impala” lettering will be the only remaining badge of the original nameplate as I change to my custom “Roadhawk” logos.
As the Native Americans said, the heart of the beast we take is given to strengthen the new. We honor your power and speed to live on in us.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The Native Americans also used to say "Can you pick up some groceries over at Sam's Club in your Impala so I can make dinner tonight? They should all fit in the trunk."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Today I continued on with the chrome delete on Luna. The carbon fiber door handle covers were an easy install but I question their longevity. We'll see.

I moved on with wrapping the door spears and I used the glossy ViiViD vinyl that I tried on the mirrors. While it came out looking pretty good, the ViiViD product is simply a lot harder to work with than the Avery vinyl I used on the trunk. I'll see how this holds up but I'll be using the Avery vinyl on the window surrounds.

My custom "Roadhawk" decals are still weeks away but besides the interior trim kit and window trim, I'm pretty close to finished. :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
These are the designs I ordered for my custom acrylic domed "Roadhawk" decals.

This is the decal to replace the Impala logo on the sail panel behind the rear quarter window

This one will replace the BowTie on the trunk lid

This will be a small version to cover the BowTie on the steering wheel

These are for the back of the outside mirrors

This will fit inside the vinyl covered BowTie badge in the grille

Finally, a name badge to replace the Impala lettering on the doors

The white areas in all these will be produced as a muted chrome while the blues will be metalized to match.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I forgot to add the decal design for the wheel center caps…

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Bow Tie outline on the Wheel Ctr Caps needs brightening! Prototype a couple renditions making the Bow Tie Gold or Bright Red. Get some feedback.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Fun day trip to Shenandoah Caverns and a stop at Cooter’s Dukes of Hazzard Museum and snack bar

American Celebration is a parade float museum and it’s pretty wild

Luna showed her stuff today handling mountain curves with ease, cruising highway miles in comfort with passing and hill climbing power to spare, all while knocking down 28.7mpg @ 75mph

Incredible machine!!

Reactions: VladThe

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After our road trip today, I realized how Luna has escalated compared to my previous cars. Three other cars from my days gone by were dear to my heart and Luna is well on her way to exceeding them all.
I met my wife online back in Y2K and she is from New York. With me in VA, the next two years of our dating and eventual marriage, I traveled LOTS of miles back-n-forth on I-95.
The faithful steed that hauled the mail at sometimes shameful speeds was my 1995 Dodge Intrepid. "The Taxi" as it affectionately came to be called, I picked up used for $5500 since I was on meager means at the time. Against tall odds, it simply kept going with gusto. What a highway cruise missile. I finally parted company with it over a trans failure at 276k miles. Luna proved today she is just as capable at eating up the long miles in superior comfort and power.

The car that followed was my Batmobile...my fellow board members at gp.net came to call it "Thunderbat" that later morphed to "T-Bat" My wife often referred to this car as my superhero costume and it served me faithfully for years thru rain, snow and come what may. It rolled many vacations and after much badgering, I finally passed it to my son, who put almost another 100k miles on it before an accident ended its proud run. As I black out more chrome on Luna, she is taking on a persona as sinister as the fabled T-Bat, while being even more capable in many ways.

After passing T-Bat to my son, I had recently become a Grandpa so I decided to opt for a sedan. I had always loved the last gen Pontiac Bonneville and I grabbed a deal on one in nearby Suffolk VA. "Bonnie the Ghosthawk" was a supreme highway cruiser and we rolled her many miles from Canada to New Orleans and points in between. While I loved her dearly, she turned out to be one of the biggest problem children I've owned. She spent more time on a rollback than I care to say, leaving me stranded far from home twice. All of that didn't stop me from shedding tears when I traded her away. Luna is reaching a little deeper into my heart as she takes shape and I'm praying hard she doesn't share Bonnie's reliability problems.

While I've owned other cars that were good, reliable and fun to drive, these three have never let go of my heart. I'm looking forward to proudly saying that Luna the Roadhawk will prove herself to be the best daily driver I've ever owned. She has the goods for sure and I'm lucky to get her with such low mileage. By giving her the maint and care that matter, I'm hoping for some record mile numbers of my life. Long live Luna! The heart and soul of the Impala, the power and speed of the hawk, as they become one!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Installed the B&I blue fiber dash kit

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Reactions: cfmack and VladThe

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
LOLOL

I have a similar kit in my convertible and I must admit it fits much better than this one. Some of the pieces feel like odd choices and I may alter that in the future because that factory dark fake wood with silver streaks sucks.

·
Registered
2016 Impala Limited LT. 3.6L Engine. No mods. Bought used (rental) with 46,000 Mi, now had 90,000
341 Posts
Fun day trip to Shenandoah Caverns and a stop at Cooter’s Dukes of Hazzard Museum and snack bar

[/

I actually found the Dukes of Hazard Christmas special during the last holiday season. My kid woke up and came out of her room while it was on and said, "Santa can drive????!!!"

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The chrome delete via the satin black vinyl wrap is coming along nicely. Ran short of wrap and still have the lower window trim to do so hopefully posting pics of that being done later this week.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts