Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Impala that I purchased 7/01/21 with only 9k miles (wow)...it was like finding a new car! I think maybe it hadn't sold because previous owner was a smoker and the interior has been getting a good deal of cleaning/deodorizing but I love the color combo of Blue Velvet metallic and light grey leather.

Besides the basic clean-up, the first mods were a K&N cabin air filter, a K&N drop-in air intake filter, removal of the airbox muffler (attached via 2 holes on the side) and a pair of Magnaflow 4x9 mufflers out back. The exhaust has a good tone under power but is still almost stock quiet while cruising. I may replace the factory resonator with a 4in round Magnaflow unit.

My new ESR wheels arrived today (19x8.5 - +30) and 245/45R-19 BFGoodrich g-force Comp2 A/S2 tires. Hopefully have those on the car next week.
I also picked up a heat gun and some carbon fiber-look gloss vinyl film to wrap some of the chrome (mirrors, door spears and trunk trim) while the rest of the chrome will probably go gloss or satin black. I'll also be de-badging and working on some custom acrylic domed decals to replace the factory logos with my Roadhawk theme.

I also want a rear spoiler of some kind, maybe subtle pedestal wing? I tried a Charger blacktop piece but it was WAY too wide.
Also considering some kind of hood treatment but undecided on that. A Trifecta tune would be awesome.
I'm not planning on getting too radical since this is my DD machine, but so far I'm lovin' it!
I had a 2004 Bonneville years back and I loved that car dearly but it was terribly unreliable. I'm really hoping this one will be much better...its far more powerful for sure!

Reactions: sk_impala

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had another car with some potential light smoke issues. For any smoke issues, consider using:
1. "Zero Odor Multi-Purpose Household Odor Eliminator" Need to spray several trigger pulls throughout the car every few 3-4 days but works great. $15/bottle so pricy but can also buy in bulk.
2. Ozone generator. Follow directions carefully and run for 30-60 minutes in your car. I have personally found this only works for 1-2 months of smoke-free smell in the car, but others have said longer. ~50-$150.

I hope you enjoy your "new" Impala!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the product you mentioned the same as the spray bottle called ZEP? I understand that supposed to be good stuff as well. I sprayed Lysol in the open vent after I removed the cabin air filter with the recirc air running, hoping it would get through the vent system. I've also been using the B&BW Eucalyptus Mint air freshener.
My daughter used to work in hotels and they had an ozone generator that she said was super effective...but she suggested letting it run for several hours?
I saw one on Amazon for $60 but not ready to make that jump yet. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. I think Zero Odor and ZEP are two different products. Just Google "Zero Odor Multi-Purpose Household Odor Eliminator" and you will see it on Amazon. I haven't used ZEP, so I can't speak to that.

2. Ozone Generators are also good for hotel rooms, houses you move into, etc. I have heard you run them for hours in those places, but less for cars since the area to clean is a lot less. There are some good YouTube videos of people using an Ozone Generator in their cars, including all the prep you need to do (like clean out everything from the inside of the car, including floor mats and even some take out the the spare tire.) Like you said, the car versions are like $60-$75.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking forward to a gearhead day tomorrow...wheels/tires are ready at the shop to be picked up, new floor mats came today and probably her first oil change so I get her on the full synthetic diet early on. Pics to come!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Earlier this week, my new wheels and tires arrived and Luna got her first hauling job!

It took a bit of doing and tie-down engineering but we made it all in one trip. Luckily, the shop was able to mount and balance the tires yesterday and TODAY......

And one shot "In the Wild" LOL

My Lloyds floor mats also arrived

Headed back out shortly for an oil change but its been a great gearhead day so far! :cool:(y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I was installing my new wheels, the FedEx truck arrived with my new decklid spoiler. After the Charger spoiler I bought turned out to be FAR too wide, I found a universal pedestal mount on eBay. This actually turned out much better than I hoped. I gave it a quick test fit,

Overall, the look is pretty much what I was going for although, I wish the mounting feet were a bit more narrow since they clash with the body lines of the trunk. They may have to be trimmed.
I'm also undecided on leaving it gloss black (since I will be blacking out other trim on the car) wrapping it with carbon fiber-look vinyl, or having it paint matched to the body. Maybe paint the pedestals and wrap the wing? Undecided yet.

The overall look flows well with the body and isn't over-large like the Tuner crowd. The wheels I love tho, and the fit is excellent with no rubbing despite the change in offset.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luna got her first oil change today with full synthetic and K&N HP filter. Not having to remove a belly pan was refreshing, but that oil filter!!! OMFG!!! How something can be so easily visible and such an absolute nightmare to change! (PLEASE tell me there is some magic tool to make this go easier!)

While I was underhood, and in the absence of a CAI kit from any aftermarket retailer, I set about removing the various sound mufflers from the intake tract. One mounted on the front of the airbox I already discarded and the other attached to the flex hose leading to the throttle body. I was able to plug the hole with a 1-3/4 replacement freeze plug and hose clamp. Fit like a glove!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Trying a 18in glasspak in place of the resonator today….we’ll see how that sounds…looking for that “just right” sound.
UPDATE...
Glasspak in place and sounding pretty darn good!

After a couple trips to work, the glasspak is allowing some buzzing during cruise and part-throttle acceleration so I’m gonna swap to hi-flow 3rd cat and Flowmaster HP2 to replace the glasspak.
New sound clip after!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vvivid black carbon fiber-look vinyl wrap film came today! Pics to come on chrome delete (Good ones, I hope!)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard lessons folks Vinyl wrapping is definitely NOT as easy as it looks. Just another example of how much skill and experience matter. The upside is you can rip off and try again. My first pass was on both mirrors and the front badge. I thought the badge would be good practice since my plan is to replace it anyway.
Tomorrow I’ll take another swing at the mirrors and if I fail again, it’s either try again of fall back to what I KNOW I can do….paint!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tip my cap to you, brother. You ... are ... one ... hot-shit, wicked-pisser, Chevy Man!

I wish you were my next door neighbor!

Back in 1967, when I graduated High School, ... Chevy wanted three hundred fifty bucks for paint code: ( M-1 ).
Royal Plum Mist!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is one hot looking Camaro!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Round 2 on vinyl wrap on mirrors. Better but still too many creases and wrinkles I couldn’t get out I’m gonna give it another shot with a different brand film (Avery instead of VviVid) If that works no better I’ll move on to paint. I also found out after the car sat in the sun all day at work, the edges wrinkle, shrink and pull away…another flaw in my install. Too much tension and untucked edges. Hard lessons

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New threshold pads

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sent my designs off to the decal maker one to Rebadge.com for the grille logo.

This is the design to replace the BowTie in the grille

This will be for the trunk lid

And this one is done in right and left styles for the sail panels

There will also be smaller versions for the steering wheel and interior accents, as well as a set of wheel center caps.

The white colored areas should come out as chrome while the grille badge should be satin black.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luna and I had a busy day. First order of business was ripping away the vinyl wrap and prepping the mirrors for paint. Finding matching Dupli-Color spray cans was a real pain but we hit really close to the mark I think.

After the mirrors I moved on to de-badging and installing my decklid spoiler

Some of the adhesive was truly stubborn but finally got it cleaned up nice!
Last of all, I installed the black mesh grille and painted the upper and lower grilles satin black.

I love the transformation this made to the front end and I'm looking forward to the custom badges and decals I'll be adding.

My hi-flow cat and Flowmaster HP2 came today so I'll be off to the exhaust shop again soon!

I still have the trunk trim to work on and I'm gonna give vinyl wrap another shot on the door and window trim.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got it on eBay and it’s an overlay but I did remove the chrome bars behind it. Held in place with 3M tape

1 - 20 of 35 Posts