07 Chevy impala ss - Chevy Impala Forums
United States Events, meetings, and local discussions.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
domination2580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
07 Chevy impala ss

So I've been having oil consumption and now I have multiple misfires as well as afm or DoD won't activate so stuck in 8 cylinder mode...any experiences or idea?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domination2580 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2017
Junior Member
 
Yanis07Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
8 cylinder mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by domination2580 View Post
So I've been having oil consumption and now I have multiple misfires as well as afm or DoD won't activate so stuck in 8 cylinder mode...any experiences or idea?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Have you checked for any OBD codes? Many will stop the DoD to function. Also, check the oil pressure switch, if it is faulty, only 8 cylinder mode
Yanis07Imp is offline  
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
domination2580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanis07Imp View Post
Have you checked for any OBD codes? Many will stop the DoD to function. Also, check the oil pressure switch, if it is faulty, only 8 cylinder mode
Yes, p0300. Had mass air flow code, changed that. Cleared them and now just the one p0300

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domination2580 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2017
Senior Member
 
12 lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Thanks: 61
Thanked 76 Times in 71 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by domination2580 View Post
Yes, p0300. Had mass air flow code, changed that. Cleared them and now just the one p0300

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That is a random misfire code. With burning oil and that code, would suspect head gasket or rings may be the problem. I am however not a mechanic, just do the vast majority of my own repairs. Would lean towards compression check to pinpoint which specific cylinders you are having the issues with.

My 6 year constantly asks why. What adults can learn from 5 and 6 year olds, to listen with your ears and mind open. Hard to learn when you don't listen ......
12 lt is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 12 lt For This Useful Post:
domination2580 (12-26-2017)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2017 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
domination2580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 lt View Post
That is a random misfire code. With burning oil and that code, would suspect head gasket or rings may be the problem. I am however not a mechanic, just do the vast majority of my own repairs. Would lean towards compression check to pinpoint which specific cylinders you are having the issues with.
Well the plugs are pretty fouled up. Plan is to change plugs and wires and do compression checks while I'm doing that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domination2580 is online now  
post #6 of (permalink) Old 6 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
domination2580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so, an update.....once again more misfire codes, I replaced the valve covers, and plugs, still burns oil. Is there a new oil pan gasket? What would cause my oil to be still dropping?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domination2580 is online now  
post #7 of (permalink) Old 1 Hour Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Thanks: 129
Thanked 329 Times in 306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domination2580 View Post
Ok so, an update.....once again more misfire codes, I replaced the valve covers, and plugs, still burns oil. Is there a new oil pan gasket? What would cause my oil to be still dropping?
The LS4 motors have four cylinders which get shut down by the active fuel management system (AFM). I don't understand all the details, but the bottom sides of those four cylinders get sprayed with oil to keep them lubricated while shut down. Apparently, this oiling can result in some of the rings sticking which results in additional oil consumption.

The new gasket controls/reduces the amount of oil sprayed on the cylinders, to prevent the rings from sticking. But it does not unstick the rings. For that, there is a procedure that dealers can run which involves putting solvent in the cylinders to unstick the rings. I think they pour it down the spark plug holes and let it soak the rings for a while. Once the rings are freed, the oil consumption should go down.

HTH.

Doug

.

_

I have found the best way to prepare sushi is to dip it in batter and deep fry it.
.
plano-doug is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to plano-doug For This Useful Post:
domination2580 (1 Hour Ago)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 1 Hour Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
domination2580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plano-doug View Post
The LS4 motors have four cylinders which get shut down by the active fuel management system (AFM). I don't understand all the details, but the bottom sides of those four cylinders get sprayed with oil to keep them lubricated while shut down. Apparently, this oiling can result in some of the rings sticking which results in additional oil consumption.



The new gasket controls/reduces the amount of oil sprayed on the cylinders, to prevent the rings from sticking. But it does not unstick the rings. For that, there is a procedure that dealers can run which involves putting solvent in the cylinders to unstick the rings. I think they pour it down the spark plug holes and let it soak the rings for a while. Once the rings are freed, the oil consumption should go down.



HTH.



Doug



.
I wonder if I absolutely need to do that procedure for cleaning the rings.... or if I can just do the oil pan gasket?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domination2580 is online now  
post #9 of (permalink) Old 1 Hour Ago Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
domination2580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And also, would u happen to have that part number for the new oil pan gasket?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domination2580 is online now  
post #10 of (permalink) Old 53 Minutes Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Thanks: 129
Thanked 329 Times in 306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domination2580 View Post
I wonder if I absolutely need to do that procedure for cleaning the rings.... or if I can just do the oil pan gasket?
Like I said, the gasket won't unstick the rings. The oil consumption problem will still be there.

That said, the soaking procedure is easier than the gasket swap. Removing the oil pan is a pain. Removing plugs and pouring solvent isn't very hard. The key to that is knowing all the steps in the procedure. Does the piston need to be at TDC? What kind of solvent? How much? How long to soak? How to drain and re-fill/re-lube the engine to prevent damage? If you can figure out how to do all that, then go for it. For me, it was worth a few hundred dollars to let a pro do it.

HTH.

Doug

.

_

I have found the best way to prepare sushi is to dip it in batter and deep fry it.
.
plano-doug is online now  
post #11 of (permalink) Old 33 Minutes Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Thanks: 129
Thanked 329 Times in 306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by domination2580 View Post
And also, would u happen to have that part number for the new oil pan gasket?
Here's the GM p/n I found: 12643081 .

There's a bulletin regarding this, 11-06-01-007, but I can't find a pdf of it. It gives more details of the procedure.

If I find any more info, I'll post back later.

HTH.

Doug

.

_

I have found the best way to prepare sushi is to dip it in batter and deep fry it.
.
plano-doug is online now  
post #12 of (permalink) Old 22 Minutes Ago
Senior Member
 
plano-doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Thanks: 129
Thanked 329 Times in 306 Posts
Re: TSB 11-06-01-007

See post #3 in this thread: https://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-i...ion-08-ss.html

Doug

.

_

I have found the best way to prepare sushi is to dip it in batter and deep fry it.
.

Last edited by plano-doug; 7 Minutes Ago at 06:50 AM.
plano-doug is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Caprice, Impala, Impala SS, 1991-1996 Reconditioned OEM Chevy RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 08-30-2017 04:40 AM
1965 1966 Chevy Impala Original Radio Knobs Caprice SS 65 66 Nice Condition SS RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 08-22-2017 08:10 PM
Chevy 1965 Impala SS Rear Trunk Quarter Panel Moulding (Right) RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 08-22-2017 04:00 PM
Chevrolet Caprice, Impala, Impala SS, 1991-1996 Reconditioned OEM Chevy RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 08-11-2017 12:30 PM
Impala Bobs Custom Aluminum Billet Grille 1962 Chevy Impala SS Bel Air Biscayne RSS Bot Impala Diecast Toys Cars on eBay 0 08-08-2017 11:10 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Impala Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome