Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching and searching, kind of doing a sanity check to make sure the ZZP braces fit before I order. I have a 2010 3.5 Impala LT.

The ZZP page says 04+ Monte Carlo / Impala, but in the questions section is the following.

Will this fit 06+ Impala with 3.9?
Question by: Chuck on Jan 17, 2017 2:56:00 AM

This part is made specifically for the 3800 w bodies.
Answer by: Ryan D (Admin) on Jan 17, 2017 2:01:00 PM​

I can see one member has them in his signature but has no photos of them installed and I can't find any posts specifically about them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
They do fit. I had them on my Grand Prix and took them off to test fit them on my Impala... They fit fine. Mine are off at the moment because they have some rust around the ears where they mount to the towers so I want to blast them and paint them before putting them back on. If you like the ZZPs then go for it. The BMR braces should also fit, look good, but are a little pricey. The bars will make a noticeable difference in handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent!

When I search about them I get hits on your signature and thats it, over and over.

Do you have any photos of them installed?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you're looking for a more economic alternative, you can go for gm p/n: 12498648 from Jegs or another vendor, and get the don rome custom brackets at Home Page
This'll run you around $125 and you'll notice a distinct improvement in handling.
Duly note I ordered my STBs from Jegs and they came all scratched up and with half the hardware missing. You don't need said hardware if you use the custom brackets listed above, as these make the STBs bolt on and come with all necessary hardware. I ended up sanding, priming, painting, and clearing the STB I put under the hood to avoid future corrosion issues. You also may have to break off 2 studs on the strut towers which may be used to hold some wiring in place. This may vary by model year as mine is a '13.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Excellent!

When I search about them I get hits on your signature and thats it, over and over.

Do you have any photos of them installed?
No pics... I took them off my Grand Prix because I read somewhere else that they would fit. Then another forum member asked me about them and I told him that I hadn't verified the fit but that I would go check and get back to him. I took the bars and just sat them on the strut mount studs and they fit perfect. There is a stud that pertrudes from the driver side tower that is used to secure a wire harness. You can unclip the harness from it and remove the stud by lowering the strut down and removing the stud or just break it off. Either way the STB will cover it. Then you can wire tie the harness elsewhere to secure it. The GM braces and DR brackets are OK but the ZZP and BMR braces are more robust and a pair of ZZPs are not much more than the DR/GM combo.

I just got back to work from having a surgery in December. I want to get my braces blasted and painted before I reinstall them. There is a little rust on the mounts and I don't want that carrying over to the Impala. If you want I can take a pic of one resting in place to give you an idea... In fact I will just do that since I have to change the oil anyway.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does anyone know if the front and rear brackets are the same?

I have both front and rear braces but haven't installed them yet, doubting if they would make a real difference to this 2008 LS that my wife is driving, not aggressively at all. What are your opinions?

Do I need to align front wheels because 2 of 3 bolts get loosened?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does anyone know if the front and rear brackets are the same?

I have both front and rear braces but haven't installed them yet, doubting if they would make a real difference to this 2008 LS that my wife is driving, not aggressively at all. What are your opinions?

Do I need to align front wheels because 2 of 3 bolts get loosened?
If you're referring to the front and rear DR brackets, they're different if I remember correctly. And they'll definitely make a difference if ever she has to take evasive maneuvers.

Loosening the bolts didn't mess with my alignment at all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I was convinced to install the braces, and I found this, both are exactly same. Did I pull 2 front braces or 2 rear? I got these from a junkyard.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow, those are ugly!

The GM braces are symmetrical, and look a lot better than those.

I did the GM brackets, (2) in one GM part number, and I bought the Don Rome Brackets.

I recommend this set up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Those almost look like the ones that DR bends to fit over the V8 in the impala SS... but regardless, the STBs are only like $32 brand new for the pair. If you're interested, check my garage for the p/n

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I agree with Carbide. Those STB's are awful. The GM STB's are only $40 for a pair and order Don Rome's brackets and they fit perfectly. I think I did a little grinding to one of the brackets, but otherwise perfect fit. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I haven't installed my ZZP bars yet because I haven't had them blasted and powder coated yet. They are rusty around the mount points so I want to get them done before I put them on my car. It is on my to do list by summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts