Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you were to make a w-body re-creation of the infamous '63 "Z11" Lightweight Impala using the new carbon fiber edition Z06 as your inspiration for the modern day re-creation, would you stick with the 2 special edition colors offered or would you choose your own special edition color?

I've been thinking of this off and on for a while now, and at first I was all about the "supersonic blue" and loving every minute of it, but now I wonder what other possibilities I may be over looking...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
White? That's the only color I'm seeing. Also, this idea looks like so much win.

:worthless_thread:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, what do you mean it's worthless without pics? I posted 3! One for the overall look I'm seeing for the Impy more or less, and the 2 carbon fiber corvette colors, that's all you can use for the beginning of the conversation. I'm glad I'm not crazy for the idea though, it's good to see someone else thinks it's on target.

I guess white is an appropriate choice, I'm sure all the originals left the factory white...I'd prolly go with the white diamond Caddy color though, not just plain white..

I'm also dying to see the cts-v hood bump on the Impy, I think that would be killer as well..

the originals had the all new all aluminum 427, so I'm thinking LS7 all the way..carbon fiber body panels for the lightweight factor..I think RWD is more than proper, but will be a bit of an ordeal to accomplish, not impossible, but an ordeal none the less..

I'd also like to see the G8 fender vents with integrated turn signals, I like those a lot..

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking black too, with like flat black stripes and or accessories...I've been so conflicted, I keep thinking I should stay true to the CF corvette inspiration, but at the same time I can't help but want to make the z11 all of it's own in a way..

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the link, very good reading for sure!

cyber grey, interesting choice, I'll check that out..I suppose your probably right, you can think about all the colors in the world, until you see it on the car it probably wont mean much...

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the basis for the RWD conversion in case anyone was wondering....I've got the front half figured out, it's mounting the rear half that has me puzzled..

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL!! They don't call it a torque tube for nothing!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If you look closely, you'll notice that is not the shaft, it's a housing, the shaft is inside it.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yup, I believe it's a carbon fiber shaft inside an aluminum tube too....and I also think that's why it got it's moniker "torque tube"...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That and they probably didn't want to call it a driveshaft when the tranny is in the back, more like a crankshaft extension n

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Btw, would the plan be to put a fuel cell in the trunk? The tank won't be able to go in it's normal location.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I haven't been able to figure out how to mount the back half just yet, but I imagine the trunk area would get reduced to that of the corvette rear hatch section, where it's only like 8 inches deep....and I've made peace with that due to how awesome this idea has the potential to be, but I'd either mount one in the "usual" location after said floor raising if it would still fit, or do the double tanks like the corvette has and find a way to mount those in the same manner of the vette....I dunno, the whole back half has proven very difficult to figure out....I think I'm destined to spend a great deal of time staring at the underside of the car to do some figuring out, or just cut out the trunk area, get it all in, then start adding all the other things where I can stuff em....not too sure..

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
Whose impala is the first picture?

As for the idea its possible, just gonna take lots and lots of time and money. But your basically sayin you wanna make your own version of an impala correct?

·
Registered
25 Posts
damn, whats the deal with the ground effects on the black iss in the 1st post? stick on?? any info on them??

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Whose impala is the first picture?

As for the idea its possible, just gonna take lots and lots of time and money. But your basically sayin you wanna make your own version of an impala correct?
the first pic came from a car on cardomain, I've been drooling over it since I saw it.

The Beast: 07 Impala RSS.....U wont see this just anywhere!!!.... 2007 Chevrolet Impala - ,

I'm basically saying I want a RWD Impala, and I think it's the best way to go about it, and it would liken itself to the Z11 of yore..using today's best technology and advancements with yesterdays historic....specs if you will, 427:LS7, aluminum body panels:carbon fiber body panels...

I realize the carbon fiber aspect would be crazy expensive and probably wouldn't be a reality right off the bat, but I think the corvette chassis would be relatively easy with exception to the rear half as I mentioned. The front half would be easy in my opinion, cause there's a lot of chassis companies out there that can do a lot, Art Morrison Frames for one, only needs to know what car you have, and what you want to bolt to it, and they will figure everything out for you and will build it, that would take care of the front sub-frame, easy peasy, the corvette stuff will slide right in, the only part I have to figure out how to do is get the back end arranged...

I'm basically taking the rwd conversion we talked about earlier, and have thought about it so far as to give the custom a theme to it, carbon fiber edition Z11....

damn, whats the deal with the ground effects on the black iss in the 1st post? stick on?? any info on them??
They were made by a custom shop that is no longer in business unfortunately (I think it was called Regency Motor Sports, or something like that, there was def a Regency in the title) , an no one's been able to find duplicates anywhere, and I don't know how many Impalas were made so I don't know how many existing sets are out there to make repops off of.. I do know that they are basically stock Monte Carlo body kits though..except for the front lip, the stock MC has a two piece lip with like a rubber portion...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts