Impala Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
My only complaints about the 8th gen are kinda trivial. I wish the interior wasn't so plastic like. The 9th gen interior is nice. A heads up display should have been implemented... it was nice in my Grand Prix. The door mirrors are kinda small and could be bigger, but not truck like big. The LTZ 18" wheels are nice, but the offset should have been more like 40 and they should have been 8" wide. 245/45-18 size tires should have been stock... more selection and in most cases, better prices. I love that we can do Bilstein struts and Brembo brakes if we want. They got the power train right in 2012 with the 3.6 and 6 speed automatic, just needs some fine tuning, especially with the stock trans shifting. Overall, I love the car and it fits my budget. It just needs a little help to take care of some factory blems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For me, my biggest complaints are the interior noise-level and the "harsh" ride. Don't get me wrong, the ride is much better than smaller cars I've driven, but it just doesn't even come close to the ride in my Buick LaCrosse and other Buicks that I've owned over the years. For example, the ride in my current 2005 LaCrosse with over 100k miles (and original springs/struts) is just so nice compared to the Impala. And again, compared to my 2005 LaCrosse, it's very noisy inside the Impala at highway speeds (again, huge difference). I realize that the LaCrosse had many features to reduce the noise level (laminated side glass, etc), but I just wish my 2012 Impala was as quiet. :)

I've always wondered if I could install the LaCrosse springs/struts on the Impala (they are both w-body cars) and have the Impala ride nice and smooth like the LaCrosse... :)

I'm working on the interior noise-level (sound deadening/insulation) - and I have a feeling that if I get a real thick undercoating on the Impala, that may help as well (Ziebart offers this)... Right now, if something hits the underside of my Impala, it's very loud - whereas you don't even hear it on the LaCrosse (things like road salt, rocks, etc - even *water*). :)

Sent from my TbooK 16 Pro(E5C8) using Tapatalk
I’m about to sound deaden the entire floor and as much of the firewall as I can get to. I bet that’ll do the trick!

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Yeah, that is definitely on my "to-do" list once it warms up (we're getting more snow here in PA tomorrow - 2-4"... <sigh>). I recently sound-deadened my front doors and rear deck (for audio reasons) and I plan to do the floor next. I probably should do the roof at some point, but probably never will... :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Say what you will about Buick, but I tell you what, every Buick I've owned has been a great car. They are (or at least were) also always at the top of the reliability and customer satisfaction charts (at least for American cars) -not sure if they still are though. I've honestly had more issues with my Impala than I had with my last 2 or 3 Buicks combined (and I only have 60k miles on my Impala!). Granted, they were minor issues, but issues nonetheless.

I just find it hard to believe that the suspension on my 2005 LaCrosse CXL and my 2012 Impala LT are exactly the same. I know the interior noise level is definitely different, but the Buick just seems to have a much "softer" suspension (which I actually prefer - I prefer comfort over sporty handling since I don't "race" my Impala around). I don't fly around sharp bends and just prefer the softer, more comfortable suspension on the crappy PA roads. There definitely has to be *something* different - maybe it's like you guys are saying and the OEM struts have different "valving" characteristics (I don't know anything about how that stuff works).

Maybe if I purchases LaCrosse OEM strut/spring assemblies for my Impala, it would make a difference (instead of aftermarket, which seems geared to more of a "one size fits many cars")? Interestingly, I didn't see any AC-Delco strut/spring assemblies on RockAuto - just rears.

Interesting conversation and I appreciate all of the input!

I apologize, I wasn't digging on Buick. I was just giving an example in support of how Buick as a division probably seeks to differentiate themselves from the rest of GM where possible. They are definitely up-market from Chevy and they do make a fine car (owned a few as well). I can't say it was/is my favorite GM division, but they do make a decent car.

My guess is that the difference between your LaCrosse and Impala is probably the result of a lot of things including sound deadening, amount of hard interior surfaces, and a differently tuned suspension (different sway bars, struts, etc.).

If Buick made a V6 2WD version of that new Regal wagon they just brought out, I'd probably be getting one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not sure if I posted here, but the transmissions!

For real, every single impala I had have had shifting issues, slipping into gear..Hard shifts.

04 with 200K would hardly get into each gear
05 with 150K would hard shift
11 with 50K on the clock when I got it, would slip and slam into gear from idle or a rolling stop
06 with 165k will slam into gear in reverse on a hill, slip into gear.
06 with 240k will hard shift into gear, but only when the traction light is on. If its not on it seems to shift okay.

Not sure, but I have had three Pontiac G6s. All with the 3.5 V6, two of the VVT version in 08+ and one in the same non-flex version as the Impalas/7th gen monte carlo. Those all shifted perfect and I drove the piss out them all. I have to baby the Impalas and still think its going to blow up on me in no time.

I know its 8th gen, but the 7th gen ran the same tranny? Same with the other GM makes with the 3.5 as far as I know.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I apologize, I wasn't digging on Buick. I was just giving an example in support of how Buick as a division probably seeks to differentiate themselves from the rest of GM where possible. They are definitely up-market from Chevy and they do make a fine car (owned a few as well). I can't say it was/is my favorite GM division, but they do make a decent car.

My guess is that the difference between your LaCrosse and Impala is probably the result of a lot of things including sound deadening, amount of hard interior surfaces, and a differently tuned suspension (different sway bars, struts, etc.).

If Buick made a V6 2WD version of that new Regal wagon they just brought out, I'd probably be getting one.
No need to apologize - I didn't mean to insinuate that you were "digging" on Buick - I was just giving my input on Buick, that's all. It's all good!

Yeah, there is definitely something different about the actual suspension in the Buick. I know it's a lot quieter, but it just seems like I feel every little road imperfection in the Impala compared to the Buick, which kind of "hides" those imperfections - it's a difference you can actually "feel" (besides being quieter). Like I said, most people here probably wouldn't like that "super soft" suspension, but I've always preferred it (been driving Buicks for decades!) - always liked their "floaty" suspensions.

I'll continue with my sound-deadening quest and then go from there. Eventually, when I need to start replacing suspension parts, maybe I'll see what can be done to "soften" the ride a little.

Again, thanks for the input - I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Not sure if I posted here, but the transmissions!

For real, every single impala I had have had shifting issues, slipping into gear..Hard shifts.

04 with 200K would hardly get into each gear
05 with 150K would hard shift
11 with 50K on the clock when I got it, would slip and slam into gear from idle or a rolling stop
06 with 165k will slam into gear in reverse on a hill, slip into gear.
06 with 240k will hard shift into gear, but only when the traction light is on. If it's not on... it seems to shift okay.

Not sure, but I have had three Pontiac G6s. All with the 3.5 V6, two of the VVT version in 08+ and one in the same non-flex version as the Impalas/7th gen Monte Carlo. Those all shifted perfect and I drove the piss out them all. I have to baby the Impalas and still think it's going to blow up on me in no time.

I know its 8th gen, but the 7th gen ran the same tranny? Same with the other GM makes with the 3.5 as far as I know.
There's no reason a 4T65E can't be made to run into the 150,000 - 200,000 mile range...
There are some fairly easy and very inexpensive mods to correct basic design flaws in how the 4T65E was implemented. It runs WAY TOO HOT and the OEM pan Magnet is worthless.
#1 & #2 will extend the life of the already fairly reliable 6T70/6T75 family.

#1 Inline Magnefine filter. A 25-micron filter and high temp magnet in one package makes service a bit easier. The fact that the Magnefine filer can be thrown away and replaced at the same time as the engine oil changes completely avoids iron poisoning of the control solenoids.
#2 Transmission fluid cooler in the return from the radiator ATF loop. Even the bolt-in Cop/Taxi transmission cooler will do. An auto transmission should run at 160°F-180°F max. Engine oil runs higher temps to evaporate combustion by-products. Transmissions don't have combustion byproducts inside and the higher temps are really bad for the guts. These transmissions tend to run in the 200°F-220°F range and even hotter year-round becuase they can only drop to the temperature of the engine coolant. And. In the winter the fluid can actually be pulled above a reasonable operating ATF temp by the engine coolant... not as high as summer but still too high.
#3 There's a TSB for replacing the darn poor excuse of a low temp OEM pan magnet GM used in the 4T65E with a pair that actually has a magnetic field in the transmission operating temperature range. The OEM pan magnet loses field strength at operating temps and the iron filings that should be caught by the pan magnet poison the electromagnets in the control solenoids.
#4 Weld a drain plug bung into the 4T65E transmission pan. Since you've replaced the 110micron pickup strainer and added a much finer 25-micron inline magnetic ATF filter, that gets changed often, you no longer need to drop the pan and replace the strainer with the 25,000 mile ATF changes. Drain and re-fill along with a fresh inline filter just like the 6T70/6T75 family... If you change the Magnefine filter with the engine oil it'll be the 5th Magnefine since the last ATF swap...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts