Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Rebadging wouldn't cost more than bringing Holden overseas. I don't even know how you could think that. Does it cost more for GM to label the Chevy Equinox the Cadillac SRX, or would it be more expensive to bring a whole new brand with new platforms overseas?
Changing from chevy to cadillac just means changing bumper covers, emblems, most of which are already being made so no extra cost there.....and that's about it, see below for the difference between that and the costs of going from holden to chevy...

True... Didnt think of that. There´s a problem. If they dont meet the standards already?
Safety standards are widely different from oversees to here, and include, but possibly not limited to, the following things

Safety glass is differently rated, we are more strict here

Bumper locations are differently rated, we require certain heights so that they conform to certain crash test standards, therefore requiring different mounting hardware

Crash test standards are different here, not just bumper location, but how it crumples too...

There's the added cost of EPA mpg certification that is required, and certain CAFE standards must be met here within that process.

Then there's the added costs of making all new badging, as well as changing fascias to match with new bumper locations...

All these things require quite a bit of re engineering and guite an added cost

It's not just a matter of putting on a different grille and adding a chevy bowtie..

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Maybe they should import it only to countries that doesnt require those standards. Id like one of those Holden pickups. :wink:

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
LOL, they've been trying since the 90's to revive the El Camino using first what they had, then later a UTE from Holden, they've finally come to the conclusion that it can't be done, it just can't ever pass the current, and therefore future crash test standards. We will never again see a UTE on our shores..

You'll just have to live with a small truck like the rest of us.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
they were close a few years ago, but before they could get it out, new laws passed re-regulating the standards, so now it can't ever be done. They've given up on the concept.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Changing from chevy to cadillac just means changing bumper covers, emblems, most of which are already being made so no extra cost there.....and that's about it, see below for the difference between that and the costs of going from holden to chevy...

Safety standards are widely different from oversees to here, and include, but possibly not limited to, the following things

Safety glass is differently rated, we are more strict here

Bumper locations are differently rated, we require certain heights so that they conform to certain crash test standards, therefore requiring different mounting hardware

Crash test standards are different here, not just bumper location, but how it crumples too...

There's the added cost of EPA mpg certification that is required, and certain CAFE standards must be met here within that process.

Then there's the added costs of making all new badging, as well as changing fascias to match with new bumper locations...

All these things require quite a bit of re engineering and guite an added cost

It's not just a matter of putting on a different grille and adding a chevy bowtie..

I was arguing your first comment on this page, which I think may have been mistaken. I thought you were arguing that rebadge is more expensive.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
is it weird to anyone else that the ad claims it was used by a police department in FL, but the History Report states that there's a lien on it....I would think the municipalities would buy them outright....

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Why would a gated community need a 6 litre V8 police car? It would be enough with a couple of scooters... ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
^^ Because, they need to chase bad guys off the premises as well. If all the bad guys know the cops have scooters or cannot catch them outside the gates, they rush in, loot, and take off again. They sometimes need to be apprehended outside the gates.

Oh crap, just saw the smiley - you were kidding.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Give the guards a sniper rifle and training. No need for cars... lol

G

·
0 Posts
the new caprice look like a cross between the malibu....impala.... and cruze to me

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
It looks like a blend in not wanting to offend or challenge the stockholders or family values and etc bs. But with some little fixing I think it could be a looker. Still the Dodge is the really ba police car out there. It looks like its gonna kick your behind just by standing there. So behave.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
...Still the Dodge is the really ba police car out there. It looks like its gonna kick your behind just by standing there. So behave.
Seriously... Our State Troopers have Chargers in Arkansas and they look freaking bad ass whith the lights on in your mirror and the "V" stripes on the hood. Of course it sucks once you realize those lights were for you. :bang:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts