Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a year subscription to Sirius XM and am using the factory radio in my 2009 impala. I've had to call XM over 5 times because the radio loses the signal after my car has been shutdown for awhile. It's like the radio resets the signal when the car shuts off. The technical support guy from XM told me the XM module could be defective in the radio. Has anyone ran into this problem?

Thanks

Turner24

·
Registered
126 Posts
If I leave it off a few days, it reverts back to the intro channel, but always goes back up to the desired channel when commanded. It did what yours did a few times when I first got the car, but good after that.

I would GUESS if XM can re-boot the radio, then it should always find it as well. Thinking it is an XM problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine reverts back to "channel unauthorized" and all I get is preview channels. Right now if I want XM I have to call them to send the signal again. I'm thinking about buying another factory radio. Is the XM module in the radio itself or is it somewhere else? I guess I'm willing to try and replace whatever necessary but don't know the exact culprit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
the factory radio and the XM receiver are separate parts. The XM receiver is located on the right side of the trunk attached to the RR wheel well.

Their is a TSB #PIC5088D: XM Band Not Receiving All Channels (Preview Mode) on your issue. In a nutshell, since you have contacted XM customer service and had the radio refreshed (and you can do it online as well by going to http://www.xmradio.com/oemrefresh and entering your 8 digit XM radio id from channel 0) your DRR (Digital Radio Receiver) may need to be replaced. A technician will need a Tech2 and check the Digital Radio Receiver Status in the DRR data display menu. If their is a code 03 or 04 the DRR will need replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this something I can replace myself? I found the XM receiver in the trunk. Is that the drr your talking about?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ You would probably be better off (cheaper) just buying a dedicated xm receiver. That is if you have or do install an aux port.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Turner, I understand you're looking for DIY repair advice, so I just wanted to let you know I'm available via private message if you do decide to involve your dealership at any point. I'm sorry to see you've been experiencing these XM concerns, and I'm available anytime to contact your dealer on your behalf to follow up for you!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
653 Posts
yes. the DRR (digital Radio Reciever) is the the part you found in the trunk. You can replace it yourself. You will need the new Radio ID number on SirrusXM channel 0 once the new DRR is installed and call SirrusXM and have them deactivate the old and activate the new. But it probably would be cheaper to either get a junk yard one or buy a portable one with car kit (xm does have a lot of good deals on one from their online store for current subscribers. I recently seen one for FREE with subscription.) and get an antenna splitter cable, like this one http://www.myradiostore.com/product-p/gm-dual.htm, to use the OEM XM antenna.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys,

I went ahead and bought a DRR at my local junk yard for $65. The unit came out of a buick and is a little older than the one I have. I plugged it in, got a new XM ID but received an error message "XM Theftlock." So I called XM got my radio ID switch over to the new one from the junk yard and of course it didn't work.

Luckily, I found this link: Grand Prixs Of North America • View topic - Remove XM THEFTLOCK From Used XM Modules Yourself.

This fix only took about 10 minutes and my XM works perfectly. This is why I love the internet.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts