Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys Iam new here and wondering if anyone has heard of this? The original Motor in the Impala SS My wife inherited was trash so I pulled it "mind you it is a 1996 vehicle" I replaced it with a 1994 LT1 from a Firebird with 58,000 on the engine after all said and done with "and trust me no corners were cut "I get a continual misfire on cyl #4. If i drive it hard all is fine but when I sit at idle it loads up with fuel and will eventually shut down. I can not restart it until the fuel drains from the cylinder a half hour or so.We all know you can not compress liquid.I changed the injectors thinking it may be sticking,adjusted valves hot and cold, new optispark,10mm wires had platinum plugs and went back to champions knowing they will clear themselves and platinums will not. Does anyone have an idea or run into this kind of problem before if so PLEASE let me know I am going crazy.
Thanks JON

·
Registered
288 Posts
Did you also swap PCMs. The engines are a little different in 96. The crank position sensor comes to mind, along with OBD2. Not sure if either of these would cause your condition though. Also keep in mind the engines are diferent between platforms as well- the f-body LT1 is a little different than the b-body, which in turn is also different than the y-body; so again if you don't swap the pcm the engine will not be programmed properly.

Not to mention, there could have just been something wrong with the used motor you put in before you even touched it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks

No I did replace the PCM when I changed out engines but thanks any1 else?The plug is BLACK on #4 and smoke is black as well.
Thanks but not yet ????????????????

·
Registered
626 Posts
Still sounds like a sticking injector. I know you said you changed them, but I don't see what else could cause one cylinder to fill with fuel. I'd look at just that one injector and think about what, if anything, could cause that particular injector to be fired too often if it's not sticking. Maybe try swapping PCMs with a known good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts