Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a OBD I&II scan tool. I have GM cars 94,95,96.02.and 08.
I found this one at Murray's O"Rilley AP..

Equus - CanOBD 2&1 Tool KitTM PN3120 for $200 Any one have one of these?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I am looking for a OBD I&II scan tool. I have GM cars 94,95,96.02.and 08.
I found this one at Murray's O"Rilley AP..

Equus - CanOBD 2&1 Tool KitTM PN3120 for $200 Any one have one of these?
Yes I have and use that very one. It is a good diagnostic tool. I do like it but would suggest getting the 3160 instead. The 3120 only has Freeze Frame data which snaps a picture so to speak of what the engine sensors are doing such as RPM, Throttle Position percentage and O2 Sensor reading.

The 3160 has Live Data which gives you the actual reading including if a sensor reading is jumping around which helps you narrow down a faulty TPS as an example.

My next unit will be the 3160 or something along that line.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Murray's and picked one up and it worked fine on my 96 Impala SS,
My Son's 02 Impala LS and my Wife's 08 Impala LT. It did not work on the 95 Caprice SS Wagon or My Son's 94 V6 3.4L Camaro. Both OBDI cars...

So its going back..

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I went to Murray's and picked one up and it worked fine on my 96 Impala SS,
My Son's 02 Impala LS and my Wife's 08 Impala LT. It did not work on the 95 Caprice SS Wagon or My Son's 94 V6 3.4L Camaro. Both OBDI cars...

So its going back..
Which one did you get? Did it come with the adapters for the OBD-1 cars? It should have come with 4 adapters plus the OBD-II cord.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Doing current research on their products has shown me that the units have changed. Some use to have live data that covered both OBD-I and OBD-II. Now all of those units only have Freeze Frame Data:mad:. Only OBD-II units have the Live Data feature.

The 3120 like I said above is a good tool. My only dislike is that it does not have Live Data viewing.

Well I see I will only need to buy a second unit (the 3160) to compliment my set.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OBD I & II code scanner

I picked up the model 3120 and it is going back.

There is software that I can run on my laptop with a cable.for OBDI.
I think that this is the way to go.

Currently my 95 Wagon runs fine when its in the closed loop mode.
When it goes to the open loop mode it runs like crap and seems to go through a lot of fuel. It may be one or both of the O2's but I am not going out and replacing both and still have an issue. It could be the OPTI but I don't think that's the issue. I replaced the spark plugs, the old ones were not that bad.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The 3120 should have worked fine, I would try another unit before giving up on them. I have used my 3120 on the following OBD-I with no problems:
95 GMC Vandura G2500
85 Ford Crown Vic LTD
94 Plymouth Sundance
89 Chevy Lumina
88 Ford F150

Is the 95's "Check Engine" lamp on when it goes to open loop? If it is not then the PCM has not tripped a fault code yet. Again on the O2 Sensors having a Live Data feed would help you to see what the output readings are to help determine which or if both units are acting up or in like this case is the PCM coolant temp sensor working correctly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WTB OBD-I & II scan tool

I went to the local Murray's And tested the AUTO X RAY 2500B and It would not talk to my PCM in the wagon. I went to a buddy's and had him scan my 95 wagon and it has no codes. We were able to see that one of the cat's is sleepy, But no other issues.. We did find that my ignition wires are shot and I have a set of Taylor wires on the way..

Thanks for the Help...

I am going the PC, Software and cable route...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts