Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just took delivery of a 2016 LTZ last Thursday. Blue Velvet with Jet Black/Mojave interior. First thing I noticed was that it had plain gray plastic trim around the gearshift area, but the rest of the trim was gray burl looking. I started looking online at other photos, and they all show the gray burl around the console as well. As a matter of fact, the 2016 Impala brochure has my car on the cover and inside. Second thing I noticed, my car is missing the SD card reader in the console. According to the options list, it should have one. The car I rented did, so I know where it should be, above the two USB jacks in the console. Do you think they put the wrong console in my car? Just seems odd, two things off and both on the console. Anyone else have this color combo, or a 2016 LTZ W/ Bose, have the SD reader?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Got a pic?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Yea that does look pretty strange. :dunno:
It looks like ikt may be the LS trim pieces and I don't believe the LS has an sd card reader either (I could be wrong however)

I see on the Chevy site it shows this interior for a 2016 LTZ2 with the jet balck/Mojave

·
Registered
194 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to replace it. It is obviously the wrong part for the build of the vehicle. Many of the parts come into the assembly plant sequenced in order of the cars coming down the line. Occasionally the wrong part gets sequenced in and the vehicle gets the wrong part. It should have been caught at the plant, but did not. I have seen this on a number of occasions when I worked at the plant.

·
Registered
259 Posts
What an epic screw up. Now it makes you wonder what other wrong parts they possibly put on through out the whole car. Take it back and raise a stink. Unacceptable.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What an epic screw up. Now it makes you wonder what other wrong parts they possibly put on through out the whole car. Take it back and raise a stink. Unacceptable.
This is a minor screw up. I saw an engine screw up in which a Northstar V8 was installed in a Buick LeSabre and a V6 was installed in a Cadillac DTS. There was a Buick LeSabre that was painted half White and Half White Diamond right down the middle of the car, that was Epic !. The whole car was scrapped. Now of course these were caught during assembly and not allowed to leave the plant.

Just take it back to the dealer, explain that it was mis-built and have them replace the console with the correct USB/SD Card version and change the trim plate to match the doors. Hopefully that is all it needs and that no incorrect harness needs to be replaced. Do you know what the first digit of the VIN is ? If it is "1" then it was built at the Hamtramak Assembly plant in Detroit, If it is "2" then it was built at Oshawa Assembly in Oshawa Ontario, Canada. Just curious.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is a minor screw up. I saw an engine screw up in which a Northstar V8 was installed in a Buick LeSabre and a V6 was installed in a Cadillac DTS. There was a Buick LeSabre that was painted half White and Half White Diamond right down the middle of the car, that was Epic !. The whole car was scrapped. Now of course these were caught during assembly and not allowed to leave the plant.

Just take it back to the dealer, explain that it was mis-built and have them replace the console with the correct USB/SD Card version and change the trim plate to match the doors. Hopefully that is all it needs and that no incorrect harness needs to be replaced. Do you know what the first digit of the VIN is ? If it is "1" then it was built at the Hamtramak Assembly plant in Detroit, If it is "2" then it was built at Oshawa Assembly in Oshawa Ontario, Canada. Just curious.
Minor? Wow! I would be pretty pissed about it personally being brand new and all. Main concern being. What else did they get wrong with it that you cant see? Know what I mean? Maybe I am looking to far into it as well...... :dunno:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Minor? Wow! I would be pretty pissed about it personally being brand new and all. Main concern being. What else did they get wrong with it that you cant see? Know what I mean? Maybe I am looking to far into it as well......
I mean minor in comparison to other things I have seen. It is still a screw up and should be taken care of. In the grand scheme of things, if you take in to account how many parts are in a car and how many people are involved in assembling a car, and the fact that there are human beings involved, some mistakes will happen, they are usually pretty good at correcting assembly issues before the car gets out of the plant. 100% perfect 100% of the time is an unattainable goal when mass producing cars, but both Hamtramak and Oshawa were considered to to be among the best plants within GM when I was there (98-06) so I would not read too much into it so long as the dealer takes care of you. Things that concern me more are things outside of the assembly plants control, that belong to the engineering group is the powertrain vibrations and the rear deck sag, for which GM knows about and has not responded to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I won't raise a huge stink (salesman is a friend), but I'll definitely go down there. The car was a transfer from a dealer in Houston and the guy/gal who was hired to do the swap also didn't realize the car didn't have the spoiler on it, nor the locking lug nuts. They went and got that yesterday. So does anyone else have an LTZ with Bose that has the SD card reader? Everything I read points to yes that it should have it but just want to verify someone actually having one. As far as everything else, I think everything else is there. It's got both high tech packages so the memory seats work along with the steering wheel, it does have the 115v socket in the back of the console and it does have all the correct LTZ trim on it. The console does have the heated/vented seat switches on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I may be have been misinformed, but my dealer told me that all 2015-16 LTZ 1 & 2's come with the card reader beside the usb standard in the car if it had the Bose system or not. My 2015 LTZ-2 does not have the Bose and I have the card reader. I would think with all the extras your model has you should have the card reader.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well I won't raise a huge stink (salesman is a friend), but I'll definitely go down there. The car was a transfer from a dealer in Houston and the guy/gal who was hired to do the swap also didn't realize the car didn't have the spoiler on it, nor the locking lug nuts. They went and got that yesterday. So does anyone else have an LTZ with Bose that has the SD card reader? Everything I read points to yes that it should have it but just want to verify someone actually having one. As far as everything else, I think everything else is there. It's got both high tech packages so the memory seats work along with the steering wheel, it does have the 115v socket in the back of the console and it does have all the correct LTZ trim on it. The console does have the heated/vented seat switches on it.
SD card reader suppose to be there. Our 15 has one. The 16's have them as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that is strange. If you have a good dealer they will order the part and replace it.
Yeah, just got word back from my salesman. He said to bring it in and they'll give me a loaner until they figure it out. If you're in the Austin area I always get good service from Covert dealerships.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd like to have a screwed-up Impala with a factory-installed LS3 V8 (since the N* was discontinued after 2011). :giggle:
Oh that's funny..That's exactly what I said to my salesman "why couldn't they accidentally have put a V-8 engine in it"!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd like to have a screwed-up Impala with a factory-installed LS3 V8
It would be fun for a few minutes, the LS3 would shred the front tires off the rims, break the CV Joints right off and then turn the transmission into a pile of gears laying under the car ! :yahoo:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to hear about the mix up but glad to hear the dealership is on top of things (as they should be).
427 put it best, there so many reasons why the mix up happened from operator error,to the supplier packing the parts in the wrong container etc etc etc. Being a D-HAM (Detroit Hamtramck) employees since 04, i remember the v6/v8 mix up very well, when the cars got to me(dept 25) they were tagged as DO NOT BUILD.
Hope you enjoy your IMPALA for many years to come.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Just want to confirm, this is a brand new car? The only reason I asked, is it that if it is not a brand new car, there's a possibility it might be a former fleet car. GM did some very strange things and deleted some odd items in some 8th gen fleet cars.....like BT.....some airbags...console trays.......etc....

1 - 20 of 83 Posts