Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well first off, I want to say that this write up is pretty self explainable. There are also many write ups on other forums and videos on youtube that you can watch. AND cut me some slack because this is my first write up. :eek:k3:

1. Take headlights out (Obviously)

2. Remove all bulbs from the headlights. you don't necessarily have to but I didn't want to damage mine so I decided to.

3. THIS CAN BE DONE TWO DIFFERENT WAYS!!! this is where you separate the Clear Lens from the headlight itself. You can either:
  • Heat your oven up to 250 Degrees, use a cookie sheet up side down and place a damp rag over the cookie sheet with the bottom of the headlight on it. like how it sits on your car. Then put the cookie sheet with the headlight on it in the oven for 4-5 minutes to melt the silicone.
OR
  • Use a heat gun and simply heat the edges where the silicone is, sections at a time. I found it easier to start at the corners for the next step which is pulling it apart.
4. Now that your headlight should be warm around the silicone, use your hands to try prying apart the headlights. Again, starting in the corners is usually the easiest. you may need to heat it up again to help bring the process along. Be careful when doing this that you don't break the clips on your headlights. being honest here, I was pretty careless about the clips and broke most of them because the silicone holds it together anyways.

5. Once getting the headlights apart, the part you will paint will be still in the lens and you can just take it out as there are no screws or anything holding it into the lens. Place the actual reflectors/headlight portion to the side.

6. Now that you have the part that you will be painting apart, Take the reflector off by just popping it out and after, it's time to sand it. Most parts you wont be able to sand due to the not being able to reach them but just do the best you can to get rid of the chrome/shiny finish. once done sanding, blow off all the dust with your mouth or whatever you want to use. lol and wipe it down with a microfiber.

7. Next you will prime the reflector part you just sanded. I just went to home depot and picked up paint primer that was for plastics/woods/etc. Spray it down with 1 or 2 good coats. I did this when it was cold out so it took long for the primer to completely dry but you can be the judge of when its dry. usually just used the outside of my nails to see how dry it was.

8. Once the primer is dry you're free to spray down your headlights with the paint. whatever color you prefer (I went with Black). just get a good base coat first, let that dry then go over 2-3 more times, waiting for each coat to dry.

9. (optional) This step I painted the reflectors with the vht niteshades tinting spray. depending on how dark you want to go or if you even want to tint them or go with the stock look. First, I sanded the reflectors down, then sprayed them with the VHT, let it dry, Sanded it down again and then sprayed again. after Sanding make sure you wipe with a microfiber or clean rag.

10. Re-assembly! Once all the paint is dry and how you want it, now you just have to reassemble your headlight. start off by putting the reflectors back into what you painted. Then you will put the painted part back into the Lens after that.

11. for the last few steps, it's just putting the Lens and headlight itself back together. You will use whatever way you prefer to heat back up the headlight whether it be the oven or heat gun. I used both ways and cant say I prefer one over the other. if using the oven use the same temperature and time heated.

12. once heated all you need to do is put the lens and headlight together as much as possible. to make sure it's all sealed use some extra silicone around the edges. you should let it dry for some time. over night should be fine. just make sure you seal all of it! it wont go completely together like it came from the factory but that's what the extra silicone is for.

Hope this was helpful for those who want to try it. I would definitely do it again but with a second pair to put in my car that way I could completely clear out the silicone out of the headlights after pealing them apart.

Pictures will be uploaded shortly as I have to edit them to appropriate size.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Great idea but, the stock headlight suck anyways. So, why try to change them? The lense's on these headlight are poorly designed and are WAY too prone to sun, chips, and corroding. Better off going with some spyders or anzo's and putting a protective 3m layer over them.

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did it because I don't want to pay the $300-$400 dollars for aftermarket headlights that are gonna give me problems. Doing this was a fun thing as I am I DIY kinda guy. And plus, sure my headlights look similar to some of the aftermarket black depos but the fact is that I could have gone with a different color and they would have been completely different from ANY of yours headlights. They're custom and I did it myself...

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I did it because I don't want to pay the $300-$400 dollars for aftermarket headlights that are gonna give me problems. Doing this was a fun thing as I am I DIY kinda guy. And plus, sure my headlights look similar to some of the aftermarket black depos but the fact is that I could have gone with a different color and they would have been completely different from ANY of yours headlights. They're custom and I did it myself...
two thumb up :eek:k3::eek:k3:

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some of the pictures. Sorry they're out of order.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Thanks for posting, I know a lot of people are interested in this.

·
Cucky
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your welcome Don. Hope this helps anyone who wants to do this and I recommend doing this rather than spending the hundreds of dollars on aftermarket lights

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Thats awesome man, thats the route i would have gone if i didnt want projectors.

I almost did a retrofit just to do it myself but i couldnt justify the cost.

We deffinitly need some pics of it on the car!

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Looks great man
Take some more close up pics and different angles when you get a chance please i am very interested in how it looks.

side note: plastidipped my bumper like you have yours and took it off not a good look on the impala imo.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Looks much better than that ugly chrome.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
After reading over this, looking at the pics, and doing some thinking, I think this may be a bad idea. That chrome plastic is intended to reflect light (heat) away from the housing. The black is going to absorb light and heat! So, I would keep an eye on them. If you end up with a melted housing/lens you know why. This is not a problem with projectors for obvious reasons (they project light away).

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
There was a guy on here a long time ago (Alfredo) and he painted his. He said he had problems with the heat just like g25 said. He did it because at the time there were no aftermarket ones. But he said after everything, he would reccomend just getting aftermarket...hopefully you don't have the sane issues. I think he said it melted by the reflector. Not sure tho.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
There was a guy on here a long time ago (Alfredo) and he painted his. He said he had problems with the heat just like g25 said. He did it because at the time there were no aftermarket ones. But he said after everything, he would reccomend just getting aftermarket...hopefully you don't have the sane issues. I think he said it melted by the reflector. Not sure tho.
I wouldn't doubt this. Same reason you rarely if ever see stock headlamps with the interior/reflectors painted. Almost all stock headlamps are chrome plastic on the inside for a reason. Sure it looks better but, to me the risk is not worth it. If you end up melting a reflector you will be paying full blown retail for a new one unless, you have a spare vehicle to drive. Catch my drift?

Don't say Wally and I didn't warn you. Although it's too late now. To people looking to do this: Be sure you are aware of the possible threat of burning/melting. Also, keep a close eye on your headlamps when they are on for a long duration. This may not be an issue for people who drive their car (or keep the key on) for a short duration.

I still would recommend aftermarket projectors over this

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
Well that's the only guy I know who did it, and all I have to go off of. Idk if he was driving long distances or where he lived or what else could have added to it. Less of a warning, more of a h-u-b (heads up bro)
Btw, the guy I'm talking about is AlfredoSmith. The guy who started fmb and gmg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts