Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on the market for roadmaster i can get a deal on. I ran across this craigslist ad today and was wondering what your opinion is on it. 95 Buick roadmaster
Would you buy it?
If so, what would be the max price you pay since it needs some work?
All opinions are helpful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll touch anything for the right price.

I'll give you my Buick story. For those who don't like tangents, please skip the next paragraph:

In October of 2011, I bought a 1995 LeSabre from a junkyard for $700. It ran and drove, but needed a new blower motor. No biggie- it was a $50 part that I put in myself. I drove it 20k miles until the transmission lost 3rd and 4th gear. I have a transmission coming in on Tuesday.

My point- I bought my car for $700- running. The Roadmaster is much bigger than a LeSabre, and I've always had a soft spot for them. I live in Wyoming, so I do not know the Miami car market.

The Roadmaster had a 2.56 axle ratio from the factory. A 4.11 Posi will be great for doing burnouts and buying fuel. I have a 4.11 in a box van. It's powerful, but not great for economy. I've found the 2.84 in my LeSabre to be plenty for a car of it's size.

I seem to get the impression that the owner wanted speed, but ran out of money.

All thiat said, I'd actually look at the car. What do you want the car for? If you want speed, you're probably there. If you want a cruiser, I'd probably do an axle swap back (and sell the 4.11 Posi for a nice chunk of change!).

The owner put $1200 in the title of the ad, but said $1150 OBO in the ad itself. I'd offer $900 and see what he does. I would probably pay the full $1150 for a nice Roadmaster, but I think he'd probably take an even $1000

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
I would say a clean straight body is worth what you could get that for.
The mechanic is an idiot for sure though with the idea about the pcm killing the opti.

The open TB is a little concerning.

The tranny builder might have been the same idiot as the pcm diagnosis seeing as the only "vette" part worth putting in the tranny is the stock parts that were in the Roadmaster tranny which has the "vette" servo, again stock.

How mechanical are you?

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
4.11 wont be that bad on fuel, a van has twice the frontal area moving more wind. People MISTAKE rpm for hurting economy because economy goes down when they drive faster but wind resistance is the problem there much moreso than the gears when you are talking a modern lockup OD tranny.

The cruise rpm on that Roady is lower than an old musclecar with 3.08, the gears alone are within 3% but the lockup makes it even better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys. To answer your questions. I am looking for a car close to stock as possible and if not making it stock again. Have narrowed it down to the 94-96 RM because of that lt1 engine. It will be my toy unless it takes the place of my '00 town car as the daily driver which i doubt. I'm not very mechanical at all, know the basics. Have the 'hook up' for a mechanic. IF i were to buy it i would sell the 4.11 posi.
I just finished talking to the seller. Said he had 26" rims on it (big rims on cars concern me) so i assuming he was messing with the tranny to be able to take those big rims. The good news- says if he doesn't find a buyer soon he's going to junk it. Around here you can get up to $500 for junking your car. Being skeptical, if i negotiate well enough i can get it off his hands for around 600-700.
*just confirmed- seller messed with the tranny so it could handle the big rims
** he just offered $700 for it if i can take if off his lot. He doesn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get it to the junk yard. Now i'm thinking i can get it for $500. My gut tells me there are more problems with it than what he's telling me. Now its sounding like another too good to be true car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
** he just offered $700 for it if i can take if off his lot. He doesn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get it to the junk yard. Now i'm thinking i can get it for $500. My gut tells me there are more problems with it than what he's telling me. Now its sounding like another too good to be true car.
Still, though, if it's worth $500 in scrap metal, and you buy it at that price, you could do okay. I'd have a mechanic look at it if you can call in a favor.

If he was asking $1200 in a listing and will now make you an offer of $700, it sounds like he will take anything! If the car is legit and cheap enough, why not?

Heck- you could sell the Posi rear end for $200-300 and scrap the rest for $400 still. Not bad... if it's legit.

Do a title check on it for sure, and have a mechanic check it out if possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still, though, if it's worth $500 in scrap metal, and you buy it at that price, you could do okay. I'd have a mechanic look at it if you can call in a favor.

If he was asking $1200 in a listing and will now make you an offer of $700, it sounds like he will take anything! If the car is legit and cheap enough, why not?

Heck- you could sell the Posi rear end for $200-300 and scrap the rest for $400 still. Not bad... if it's legit.

Do a title check on it for sure, and have a mechanic check it out if possible.
Very true. If everything checks out i'll be looking in the ballpark of $1000 in repairs. Is all that trouble worth it when there are ones in good condition with around the same amount of miles in the $2k range?

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
The claim that the tranny was upgraded with Vette parts isn't concerning from the Vette parts standpoint, it is concerning because all the LT1 cars had the "Vette upgrades" bone stock. Which tells me either the tranny builder was an idiot and couldn't see what parts he was taking out, or was a scumbag selling stock parts as upgrades.

The claim of 26s would be concerning not from a mechanical stress standpoint but rather from the standpoint of if someone is willing to something that awful to a car what other awful things are done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i'm going to go ahead and pass on this one as well. When i do finally get one i'll make sure to post some pics.

·
Super Moderator
18,473 Posts
Yeah i'm going to go ahead and pass on this one as well. When i do finally get one i'll make sure to post some pics.

If the car's location doesn't bother you, they looking into BADASS of New England
This site covers all B & D body cars, you may get a line on something there... Good luck! :beer: Let us know what you find!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts