Impala Forums banner

Would the ZZ 572/720R engine from General Motors Performance Parts fit in a 1964

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  pci_raid 
G
#1 ·
Chevrolet Impala convertible?
This gone be looking exactly like this but better performance and interior here is the link let me know what you think:

http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0609_lrm_1964_chevrolet_impala_convertible_viejo/

#7 ·
I'm planning a similar project for my 64 Impala, but probably with a ZZ502. There's a hefty premium for the 572 if you pay GMPP list so I probably pass on it this lifetime unless I hit the lottery or get a killer deal when it's time to buy. I've seen recent magazine reviews of the ZZ454 that hit 500 hp with cam swaps and a carb spacer, so a ZZ502 would be more than enough. I'm planning on diverting that extra engine money somewhere else useful:
  • a six speed (I have a four speed now),
  • a rear end that can take power (my stock can't), and
  • front disc brakes (rears come later)
  • rims and tires to fit those disc brakes

Unless you have a prepped tranny, rear end, and good brakes, that 720 horsepower won't go anywhere for long. I suspect that my driveshaft will need to be upgraded as well with a heavy-duty version. Aluminum radiator upgrade and electric fans are likely.

If you're like me, you won't get there all at once. I have my car up to a basic safe daily driver after 2.5 years. I'm doing the basic body work and interior now, the front disc brakes and upgraded rear end next, and then the engine, tranny and driveshaft after that.

#8 ·
I'm interested in the details of this too!

I have a 62 Impala SS that i may install a mildly built 454 with a 700r4 transmission. from what I have read the only issue i may run into is the exhaust manifolds/headers.
I may just buildup an small block 383 for the money and use that. i haven't totally dedicated to either at this point. I'm too tied up in my 69 firebird ragtop right now. But hopefully that will wrap up by late fall.

bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.