Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 liters ? I would like to know this cuz i currently own a 1988 caprice LS wit a 305 4 barrel wich is very reliable i know it has roller's in this one. Now im looking at a killer price for a 1986 caprice brougham 305 4 barrel wich has much less millage on then mine (78k)vs(235k) plus looks much better.

Im asking this cuz i recently find out that flat lifters causes more friction , wear much much faster thus affecting the whole reliability of the engine . So i wanna know if the 1986 5 liters came with the roller one's . Im i better just keeping the one i have right now ,are flat lifters that bad ?

thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Don't worry about the 'old' school lifters, cars ran fine for years with them.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Don't worry about the 'old' school lifters, cars ran fine for years with them.
He is right, for many decades that is all cars had was flat lifters and rockers. Most of the engines with the proper oil change and proper driving would go between 150 and 200K easily. With todays oils and filters even these "old school" cars will get even more milage.

You can always save up and custom build an engine for this 86 car latter and drop it in when you think the time is right. Hang around here long enough and you might even consider up grading to a LT1 or even an LSx series engines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i would stay with a roller motor,they just recently removed zinc and phosphorus from all gasoline motor oils.that will increase wear on flat lifters.the factory roller cams started in late 86-87 (centerbolt valve cover) on b and f body motors.the trucks should be all flat tappit but have roller provisions. mid to early 80's gm had serious problems with the cam lobes wearing flat. i have replaced a few recently.i know this is an old post .

·
Registered
828 Posts
I never knew GM introduced roller lifters on Caprice 305's.

Am I missing something? I've been using SB GM V8's for 35 years and never had a roller lifter engine that I know of.

Do my '92 305's have them?

·
Registered
828 Posts
my caprice has regular flat lifters and that has 226,000 miles on it, all original. They can't be that bad.
Yes but how can you be sure that at 227K one of them won't fly off, go right through the valve cover and poke your eye out?

My 92's have centerbolt valve covers so it would appear that mine have rollers... I haven't tried looking through the oil filler hole. It's hard for me to imagine it would make a big difference in my cars. I'm not sure I buy into it personally, but who knows maybe it's an improvement and saves engine wear.

I am generally of the mind that the least amount of parts a machine has the more reliable it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
roller lifters not rockers,makes the motor more efficient,less resistance,frees up some power,and on high mileage motors it means your cam should still have lobes left on it unlike most of the 80's 305's.............

only downside is a aftermarket roller cam will run you about $300

there's nothing wrong with a flat hyd cam setup.just, the roller is better for street cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the hydraulic portion can go bad like any other lifter but the roller portion that rides the cam is not likely to fail,at least before the rest of the motor.it is great for helping the motor last,but that also has to do with good maintance and oil changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts