Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas I need some help...:confused: I have 95 Chevy Impala SS and I just changed my Opti spark distributor cap and now she won't turn over. I can't smell any fuel while trying to start it. However before I changed it I just had my fuel pump and fuel filter changed at the dealership about two weeks ago and had a tune up about 3 months ago. Reason for the change was the dealer recommended that I change it because I was having a hard time getting it started. Once it started I could smell fuel and smoke came from pipes. It only did that after it sat for a while. Once it started I could turn in off and she fires right up. Also while I was changing it I had to take the harmonic balancer off...while doing that I turned it about twice while trying to get the bolts. Could I have knocked the timing off? Any suggestions or thoughts would really help me out. Thanks!

Will (95 BB)

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Won't turn over, do you mean the starter will not rotate? Or the engine won't catch and run? If no starter motor action check that the battery is hooked up and corrision free, that the headlamps will work. If those are correct look at the starter motor as possibly gone bad. If motor turns but won't catch and run then see if the PCM has any codes.

As long as you did not remove the distributer while rotating the engine then the timeing should still be correct. Did you put the Rotor Bug back in, if not then it can not fire the plugs. Did you remove and reconnect the Crank Position Sensor? If it is not connected the PCM will not fire the engine or send fuel to the injectors.

On your hard startin problem I would look at the fuel pressure regulator or injectors for a "leak down" that is where the fuel pressure leaks down after it has not ran for awhile.

Hope this helps, Kenny.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
A little better explaination would help. Will crank but not start? Will not crank? Check all connections...twice ! If it is cranking (turningover) Do you have your intake system sealed up tight? Mine wouldn't run when the plug I put in place of Homeplate popped out one day.

FYI...the '95 does not have a CPS, thats '96.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts