Impala Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2010 Impala that wont stop cranking over until you unhook the battery. As soon as you turn the key to accessory it starts cranking and doesn't start. I pulled the starter relay to run codes and I'm getting a fuel pump code. Everything was working fine 20 minutes before this happened. I put a new ignition switch in it and tried starting it without the tumbler in it and it still does it. I pulled the starter and bench tested it and it seems to work fine. I have been researching it and all I can come up with is welded contacts in the starter or stuck tumbler. I'm starting to think it could be the computer because its giving a fuel pump code. If you push the valve the fuel has lots of pressure. Any input would be appreciated. I'm about to put in a new starter but I really don't think its going to help.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ignition switch "start" connects to the BCM then the signal goes to the ECM then to the starter. Trouble shooting with the starter solenoid wire unplugged will at least let you test without it cranking.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you've have a situation where the STARTER MOTOR is cranking away until the Battery's disconnected. Don't blame the STARTER. That's basically a Y/N troubleshoot. Takes High Amps to have the STARTER spinning.
What was it that led to the SOLENOID closing to send the High Amps making the Starter twirl.
Did the Ignition Switch or wiring appear tampered with.
Did you closely examine the IGN Switch and surrounding wiring for any obvious signs of being monkeyed with?
Maybe somebody tried to boost the car left a jumper behind when it wouldnt fire-up!

Reactions: BigG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Similar issue....

06 Impala, 3.5.

A little recent history.... Bought a cheap replacement work truck and decided to drive it until I got all the bugs worked out of it.

I parked my daily driver, the impala, in the mean time.

3 months later and I still don't have all the problems fixed on the truck but I thought the impala's been parked way too long; I'd better start using it.

Opened the door and the battery is completely dead. Tried boosting it with my booster and all I got was a single click, sometimes it would be a slow, repeating click.

I just remembered that, shortly before parking it there was an occasional similar problem as the OP here. I'd go to start the car, the starter would continuously crank .... but here's the difference... until I turned the ignition off. Then it would start normally.

I'm thinking the click may just be a corroded contact on the starter and I'll check that out today. But what about the starter sticking on until I shut off the key completely?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Make sure all the contacts are perfectly clean. Spray the whole works. Get the stuff that cleans and evaporates away.
If your plan is to work-out a NO START. You need a Battery Charger, troubleshoot guide, wiring diagram, Multimeter, Test lights, patience of a Saint and a fifth of Jack Daniels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you've have a situation where the STARTER MOTOR is cranking away until the Battery's disconnected. Don't blame the STARTER. That's basically a Y/N troubleshoot. Takes High Amps to have the STARTER spinning.
What was it that led to the SOLENOID closing to send the High Amps making the Starter twirl.
Did the Ignition Switch or wiring appear tampered with.
Did you closely examine the IGN Switch and surrounding wiring for any obvious signs of being monkeyed with?
Maybe somebody tried to boost the car left a jumper behind when it wouldnt fire-up!
Everything in the column looks fine. I'm getting an open circuit code now (p0651) that leads me to believe its the ecm or bad wiring. I went to the junkyard today and got a ecm and bcm for $20. I'm not sure what led to this because it was working fine 20 minutes before. My wife went to leave and I heard her screaming help. I went out there and it was cranking away with the key out of the ignition so I popped the hood and unhooked the battery. I was panicking and in a rush because we were taking the car on vacation the next day so I googled it and started throwing money at it. Whatever it is also threw the fuel pump code so I believe it is the ecm. Hopefully I know more tomorrow when I hook up the junkyard ecm and my multimeter shows up from Amazon.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Same problem with different symptoms. Eric O. is a outstanding tech. He looked for shorted/open sensors and wiring problems.
The ecm and bcm need to be programed to your car so you may cause more problems than you fix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, my no start problem is fixed.

Pulled and charged the battery. Cleaned and sprayed contacts (battery, front of engine, etc) with contact spray.

Plunked battery back in, gave it a boost (as I had my booster there anyway) and away it went!

Time will tell if that solved the constant cranking issue.

I'll let you know...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same problem with different symptoms. Eric O. is a outstanding tech. He looked for shorted/open sensors and wiring problems.
The ecm and bcm need to be programed to your car so you may cause more problems than you fix.

I found Eric O when I was trying to figure out my 08 Impala no crank no start problem. He is fantastic. I just wish I lived in NY I would not still be having to leave my car run at the store!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts