Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this newer 2012 Imp. Lt for few more days and been driving it on icy roads and intersection and am finding the Traction control to be a painful to the engine, it seems to be always there at intersections and the car tries to go out of control so have to correct its path. Maybe that's normal but my 07 imp. without traction control i find behaves better at intersections it slips a lot but i do not have to apply correction to steering with TC on there seems to be loss of control is it just me or that's just a feature of TC ?

How many of you guys with TC option actually have TC turned on for winters (where it snows/has ice). I doubt you need TC in rain.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
is it TC or big foot

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure i wear size 8 shoes so it aint (bigfoot) me :dizzy:. TC i am wanting to ask about the driving style and experiences with TC.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
lead foot maybe, I have not had a problem with it on or off. Off allows more tire spin if you punch it hard.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lead foot maybe, I have not had a problem with it on or off. Off allows more tire spin if you punch it hard.
Is that not more fun though over lighting to engine growl back at you with TC on ?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I normally cut off the traction control before pulling off. I only leave it on in snowy/icy weather.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I leave mine on all the time. Damn thing wont move on ice or thick snow without it. I did find that when i got stuck in a snowbank two weeks ago turning it off helped out a lot. With normal driving on ice and snow i just use less pedal with the TC on. But i also have the V8 with gobs of torque, that could be a slight difference.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
well it seems counter intuitive, but I left it on most of the time but I shut it off under extremely snowy conditions.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But i also have the V8 with gobs of torque, that could be a slight difference.
What SS is a V8 ? Darn i should have bought a SS not a LS :bang: it drinks almost same amount of gas as a bmw would .. TC i guess comes in handy only at intersections i do not think i want tc to kick in at highway speeds when it hits a small section of black ice. I find that it does not only throttle engine but i think it also uses engine to slow down or basically act as engine braking (same concept as downshifting that i used to do on my previous car)

·
Banned
667 Posts
What SS is a V8 ? Darn i should have bought a SS not a LS :bang: it drinks almost same amount of gas as a bmw would .. TC i guess comes in handy only at intersections i do not think i want tc to kick in at highway speeds when it hits a small section of black ice. I find that it does not only throttle engine but i think it also uses engine to slow down or basically act as engine braking (same concept as downshifting that i used to do on my previous car)
LS is the base model for 06+ LT & LTZ is mid and SS trim is highest,
LS is the mid trim* (*all the way to ss trim without super charger option)

+ or - sunroof option

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Traction Control... :giggle:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, another one of that there new fangled contraptions :yikes:
Hey you drive a 2012, you should have it right ? I drive a 07 that does not come with Traction control :bang:. But i just had traction control kick in today while i tried to overtake someone.. kinda lame could cause serious injury if the car cuts power while trying to change lanes !!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Hey you drive a 2012, you should have it right ? I drive a 07 that does not come with Traction control :bang:. But i just had traction control kick in today while i tried to overtake someone.. kinda lame could cause serious injury if the car cuts power while trying to change lanes !!
Why yes that is correct, does not mean it is on. If I could it would not be on car, limits some of the stuff you can do, but for most people it helps them because they can not controll the gas with their foot.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
What SS is a V8 ? Darn i should have bought a SS not a LS :bang: it drinks almost same amount of gas as a bmw would
06-09 SS had the 5.3L V8, same peak HP as the 2012 V6, but unlike the 2012 it still has power below that peak.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Numbers shmumbers. Drive an 06-09 SS and then a 2012. You will know what I mean. Numbers Shmumbers.......

·
Registered
545 Posts
The 08 lt i had didnt have traction control but then again it did have the power to spinn unless it was snowing.

The SS will light the tires from roll which is so cool, but you also have to turn right or left when wide open so it will go straight.. or at least with mine it torque steered like a crazy..

The 12 does have the same peak hp but it has nothing on the SS tq.. Performace wise my two where close to the same in terms of real world drag stip testing. the SS best past was a 15.2 @98 traction limited, and the 12 best so far was been a [email protected]

The SS just goes when you hit it.. granted im in the mountains and the roads arnt the best but anything under 30 mph with traction off it would light the tires. The 12 with the V 6 runs good for sure, but its more like vetc on honda.. it gets to 5K rpms and from 5K to 7K its on a mission. the 12 also makes you think your going faster becuse it shifts more.. I dont remember now but im pretty sure the SS would do over 100 mph in 2nd gear vs 75 ish in the 12 model.

here is a 0-60 in the 12, you can see the new cam difference.

what would have sick, would be a 12 SS, V8, vvt and the 6 speed auto !

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yeah, you can see how it picks up when it hits the powerband, the SS was probably a bit more smooth in its delivery...

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I miss my SS' ability to light them up from a 25 mph roll. It was fun. With that said, 2012 is really the logical way to go for a better balance of speed, transmission reliability, and gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts