Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like GM has a upgrade kit out for some 2016-2018 cars to have your wireless charger work with many other cell phones. I could not find the details of the bulletin but note # 7 as the bottom of the document says "GM Service Bulletin #18‐NA‐153 is available for certain 2015‐2018 model year customers that want to upgrade their wireless charger to have the latest compatibility".

Does anyone have access to this service bulletin and could post the details to see if it applies to the Impala?

The document i am talking about is located at the below website.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes it is available for 2016 - 2018 Impalas.
The kit is a customer pay install and is not covered under warranty and is for the most part a plug and play operation. Please note this just replaces the charging module and if your phone doesn't fit the charging pad now, it won't fit after the upgrade.

The MSRP of the retrofit kit is $99 USD. Labor time to install is up to your dealer and may vary, but GM recommends basing the time on warranty replacement time. So expect labor to be up to one hour.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a part number for the kit or a copy of the bulletin or installation directions? I would look into getting it for my car if I could install it easy myself and get the kit on line for a little cheaper.

John

·
Registered
622 Posts
The kit part number is 84526978.

This kit will not need any modifications in the Impala. To replace
1. Open the front consol compartment door (ahead of the shift lever)
2. Remove the compartment liner (just pulls out)
3. Remove the 4 bolts holding the module in place.
4. Remove the module from the console, unplug it
5. Plug in the new jumper harness and new module in the kit.
6. Install is reverse of removal.
7. Start vehicle and enjoy wireless charging!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just what I wanted to hear, thank you Bart77 for the information.

I have a Galaxy S6 now and works great with the wireless charging in my car but I was going to upgrade to a Galaxy S7 but the GM charging list shows the S7 will only charge in my 2016 LTZ with the upgraded charger.

I am sure I can get the part cheaper on line and it should only take a few minutes to install.

John

·
Registered
209 Posts
I see no advantage from the old chart to the new if one has a Samsung.
Samsung s7 and others are still unusable with old or new charger. IF I read it right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see no advantage from the old chart to the new if one has a Samsung.
Samsung s7 and others are still unusable with old or new charger. IF I read it right.
The way I read the chart is the Samsung Galaxy S7 (and S6/S7 Active and the S8/S9 Plus) will not work in my 2016 Impala now but WILL work if I upgrade to the Gen 2 wireless charging.

John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Note # 7 in the chart listed shows you can upgrade your 2016-2018 to work like a 2019 vehicle. As the S7 (and others listed) will work in a 2019 now, once you install the upgrade the S7 will work in your 2016-2018.

At least that is how I read the chart, maybe other can chime in with a opinion.

John

·
Registered
516 Posts
This is one of the features I wish my car came with, I have a 17 LT without the wireless charging, Does anyone know if the plug is there for me to just simply plug the unit into?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Samsung Note 8 and a 2016 Impala 2LTZ ME. I had to use a razorblade to modify the mat, but the factory 2016 charger charges my Note 8 just fine. It also worked with my S7 Edge and my Note7 before that. I have never had to upgrade anything.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Finally picked one up on Cyber Monday for $59 + shipping. $66.56
I will finally get to try out that flex screwdriver.. lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
In between snow and thaws, I decided to install the updated phone recharger kit.
The kit includes recharger plate and adapter cord. You reuse the rubber pad.
Installation requires the removal of 4 T20 screws. Front screws came out relatively easy.
But the back screws were a PITA. I have big hands and now scunt knuckles. Finally, I made my own
tool with the T20 bit... After all and said is done, it works great for my Samsung. I have yet to try my wife's iphone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you ever find out if you could add thew wireless charging into your 17' Impala? I have a 15' LTZ and would like to know if I can add it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes it is available for 2016 - 2018 impalas.
The kit is a customer pay install and is not covered under warranty and is for the most part a plug and play operation. Please note this just replaces the charging module and if your phone doesn't fit the charging pad now, it won't fit after the upgrade.

The msrp of the retrofit kit is $99 usd. Labor time to install is up to your dealer and may vary, but gm recommends basing the time on warranty replacement time. So expect labor to be up to one hour.

Sent from my sm-g930r4 using tapatalk
hello. I have a impala 2016 with the charging pad in it but like most of you have been unsuccessful with charging my iphone 8 with a qi compatible wireless charging case. This upgrade you are referring to; does it replace what i have ??
Shelley h.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts