Impala Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, do any of you run bigger (longer) wiper blades than recommended? Are there any downsides to running larger ones?

The 06 - 10 (I think) Impalas call for 22/22, while the 11 onwards call for 22/21 or something like that. The reason I'm asking is the driver's side wiper leaves a pretty large patch unwiped near the top of the windscreen, and I was considering running 23/22 or even 24/22.

Does anybody have any input?

Also, I've always run RainX and Trico wipers, and I love them. On my old car I used Bosch beam ones a couple of times, and hated them. I strongly recommend Tricos. Expensive, but great. If anybody has a cheaper and just-as-good option, I'd love to hear it as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I run 22A Bosch ICON both sides, did on the '10, and now on the '16 Limited.

I've thought the right side could perhaps be longer, but I'm not persuaded enough to change.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think the stock size is 22" for both. Having said that, I would park the wipers at the top of the windshield and in the middle of the stroke and see if a 23 or 24 could fit and not hit anything.

I run the lower cost blades mostly because good wiper blades shouldn't have to cost $20 a piece. Wipers have become like razor blades, expensive for some ungodly reason, most likely theft. I use Rainx washer fluid and that helps alot to bead the water off the windshield. I also apply Rainx or some of my spray detailer from time to time and that helps alot. At one point, I was buying wiper blades at Menards and getting them free from rebates... Didn't buy wiper blades for both a year or so.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the stock size is 22" for both. Having said that, I would park the wipers at the top of the windshield and in the middle of the stroke and see if a 23 or 24 could fit and not hit anything.

I run the lower cost blades mostly because good wiper blades shouldn't have to cost $20 a piece. Wipers have become like razor blades, expensive for some ungodly reason, most likely theft. I use Rainx washer fluid and that helps alot to bead the water off the windshield. I also apply Rainx or some of my spray detailer from time to time and that helps alot. At one point, I was buying wiper blades at Menards and getting them free from rebates... Didn't buy wiper blades for both a year or so.
RainX washer fluid is a flipping godsend. I love it.

It's a good idea, to park at the top and halfway to see if they hit anything. I'll try that when winter's done in a month or so!

Reactions: WickedGoat

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
I got the Rainx Latitudes the other day from Pepboys for $32, they had a sale where you get $12 off. I figured why not. They last a long time, I put a set on my impala probably 4 or 5 years ago and they're still on there getting the job done lol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm about 90% sure they're still the same ones lol. I should double check when I get off work. The lady at pepboys also said she had the same ones on her car since 2014 and hers are still working great.
5 years does sound like a lot but they've been working great man, I really should double check to make sure they're the same ones so I don't spread any mis-information LOL. I'll try to update if I remember to! My memory isn't the best lol.

·
Registered
699 Posts
It's all good... If one can get really get 3-5 years out of a set of wiper blades, then I would say that is money well spent. I just hate how expensive certain necessities have become, wiper blades being one of them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run what it says to, if you tried to run a longer one on the passenger side it would hang off the windshield most likely.

Also while we are talking wiper blades avoid Bosch like the plague... I put some on 8 days ago, by the second day the clip on the passenger one had broken and on the highway it started scooting back and forth on the rod and stuttering across the windshield.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really like your optimism. :)
Considering it was 60F in Indiana yesterday for this (so far) pathetic excuse of a winter... lol. Watch, now that I've said it we're gonna get -45 windchills and 6 feet of snow. Bahaha.

Also, 5 years on a set of blades is ridiculously awesome. I change mine yearly, almost out of habit instead of necessity. When I used Bosch, back when I was young and naive, I had to change them out every six months because they got so bad, and I thought it was the norm lol. Then I tried RainX and my life was changed. Now I'm using Tricos.

I run what it says to, if you tried to run a longer one on the passenger side it would hang off the windshield most likely.
Yeah, I don't think there's much room for play on the passenger side judging from the streaks. I wonder if I can fit a larger blade on the driver's side. We'll see.

Reactions: Carbide

·
Registered
75 Posts
Considering it was 60F in Indiana yesterday for this (so far) pathetic excuse of a winter... lol. Watch, now that I've said it we're gonna get -45 windchills and 6 feet of snow. Bahaha.

Also, 5 years on a set of blades is ridiculously awesome. I change mine yearly, almost out of habit instead of necessity. When I used Bosch, back when I was young and naive, I had to change them out every six months because they got so bad, and I thought it was the norm lol. Then I tried RainX and my life was changed. Now I'm using Tricos.

Yeah, I don't think there's much room for play on the passenger side judging from the streaks. I wonder if I can fit a larger blade on the driver's side. We'll see.

That day it was -17F a few years ago, I had to come to work. Driving the Impala on the super lumpy ice and snow to get to work felt like I was driving a moon buggy at top speed on the moon.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Also while we are talking wiper blades avoid Bosch like the plague... I put some on 8 days ago, by the second day the clip on the passenger one had broken and on the highway it started scooting back and forth on the rod and stuttering across the windshield.

I LOL'd.

I've run at least 4 sets over the years, on 2 Gen 8 Impalas, and am VERY satisfied.

My 1 way commute is 68 miles, so I'm at about 140 miles a day, with errand side trips a couple times a week, and I am regularly over 90 and over 100 on the highway.

Another LOL.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ok i double checked and my impala currently has a cheap set that I got from RockAuto when they had a blowout sale, I remembered where I got them from after I went and looked at them, but these have been installed for about 2-3 years without any issues so far, they could probably be replaced at this point but I had to use them this past weekend during our storms down here and they weren't horrible by any means. I'll probably pick up another RainX set or go for the cheaper ones again and just use RainX Wiper fluid.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My 2013 calls for 22 driver 21 pass sides.

During the winter I swap the stock blades out for the rubber covered "winter" style blades.
I use the 22 on the drivers side and a 19 on the pass. side.
A 19 because a 21 winter blade doesn't fully contact the right side/edge of the glass.

That combo works great in the frozen NY winters!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Fwiw, my '12/'13's owner manuals call for 21.7" wiper blades on both sides....
This is what the application guides call for as well... Try finding a 21.7" blade...o:beer:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fwiw, my '12/'13's owner manuals call for 21.7" (55cm) wiper blades on both sides....
That's... oddly specific... lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts