Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys (& gals?), it is I, Me! Long time no chat... (~6 months) I know you missed me and my inane questions =)

So I've got a 06 Imp SS, stock SS wheels w/ 50% tread all seasons on them... I got this car in February and had the "joy" of getting to drive the car in a few snowfalls (hint: it was awful and I don't want to die)

So I figure I will buy a set of Winter rims & tires, or just tires... rims & tires would be easier to swap out myself - obviously... will have to see what I can find on Craigslist.

I'm no car-expert... in case that wasn't abundantly obvious... the wheels on these cars are "GM 5-bolt" ? So I assume I could use rims from any other car that has this bolt pattern?

Additionally, I live in/near Syracuse, NY - Golden Snowball winner many years, we get snow... not the half-inch that shuts down the Carolina's... but feet and feet of snow, driving in snow is unavoidable. What snow tires do you guys have experience with and recommend? The tires on the car now terrified my going ~35mph in a straight line so I want to make sure I get something known to work well.

My car is 12 years old, from Texas... barely any rust on anything underneath... is it not too late to get it undercoated? Fluid film?

Any other winterization tips to protect my baby?

Thank you all in advance!

Kind Regards,

-JDT

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't think you can use any old GM 5-bolt. The bolt pattern on our Impalas are 5x115mm, high offset. So you can't just stick any 5 lug, 115mm rim on there either! There are a few online calculators that will tell you if your new rim will fit, and what the speedo error will be or if there is any rubbing on the wheel wells.

My personal recommendation would be to go on RockAuto or eBay and find a set of cheap 16 inch steelies off of an Impala LS and then get a set of tires for them. Unfortunately I can't help you with winter tire recommendations as I've never really used any, but I have heard great really good things about the Blizzak line from Bridgestone. TireRack.com has a wealth of info you might find extremely useful.

Hope this helps!

Edited to add, for me, the biggest tip I have for winter care is to wash the underbody of your car more often than you would during the other seasons. Salt accumulation is very, very, VERY bad for exposed metal parts.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i believe other guys on the forums have found a 17 inch steel wheel that fit to keep the wheel sizes as close as possible to your current size (maybe the police package wheels would work for a winter set). i'd stick with impala factory wheels to avoid offset issues as TeeRev mentioned.

or just find a set of junkyard rims and try those. personally i just get a good set of all seasons (i currently run the bfg advantage T/A sports and they did ok on both cars in the minimal snow northeast indiana received last year. if you were to buy a set, i'd go blizzaks though, they seem to be a very popular winter dedicated brand. keep in mind they have increased tire wear/less tire life due to the soft compound needed for the snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got winter tires for mine. It came with 255-55-17's on it so after lots of searching around I got 16" rims off of a Saturn from a junk yard. Hard to find a junkyard that was still open. I got General altimax snow tires 225-60-16 from tire buyer that were on sale with a $50 rebate. They ride great with no tire sound that I can hear. This will be my 1st winter with the car so time will tell. Had General snow tires on my wife's Subaru and it drve up our bad driveway with 6" of snow.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hello, If you have a 00-13 the bolt pattern is 5x115. There are many many cars that use this so they are easy to find on craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. As far as tires goes I have had great luck with both Blizzaks and Hankook tires. I've ran 215/60/17's on 2 of my cars and more recently on my 06 I have 18" wheels so I used 235/50/18.

I would suggest fluid film. I re apply it every year in all the seems and door sills. Take your time. There is no magic formula to prevent rust but this will certainly slow it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts