Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question about the wheels & tires on my 2015 impala Ltz. It has the 245/45-19 Goodyear tires on 19” x 8.5” aluminum rims. They are terrible in the snow here to say the very least ! Plenty of tread on them.

so my thoughts are to buy another set of the same rims and put snow tires on it, at least the front, so will there be a problem of any kind with the tire pressure system ? Anything else I should be concerned with on this ? Thx, in advance

·
Registered
202 Posts
So I have a question about the wheels & tires on my 2015 impala Ltz. It has the 245/45-19 Goodyear tires on 19” x 8.5” aluminum rims. They are terrible in the snow here to say the very least ! Plenty of tread on them.

so my thoughts are to buy another set of the same rims and put snow tires on it, at least the front, so will there be a problem of any kind with the tire pressure system ? Anything else I should be concerned with on this ? Thx, in advance
As long as you buy TPMS sensors for the new rims you'll be fine. The tire shop will be able to learn the sensors to your vehicle. When you swap from the winter set to the summer set, you may have to have the summer set relearned to your vehicle, but otherwise should be a straight forward swap. There are even TPMS learn tools you can buy on Amazon to do it yourself.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You will need to buy some more TPMS sensors. They can be found on ebay pretty cheap. I've bought a couple of sets of them with no problems. Try to get some with fairly recent build dates, so the batteries are fresh. The winter tire manufacturers say only put them on all 4 corners, due to different handling characteristics than regular tires. I've used the Bridgestone Blizzacks on 2 different cars with good results.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
^+1. You can get the orange EL-50448 tpms relearn tool on Amazon for cheap. Probably Ebay too. Works great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You will need to buy some more TPMS sensors. They can be found on ebay pretty cheap. I've bought a couple of sets of them with no problems. Try to get some with fairly recent build dates, so the batteries are fresh. The winter tire manufacturers say only put them on all 4 corners, due to different handling characteristics than regular tires. I've used the Bridgestone Blizzacks on 2 different cars with good results.
+1^

The blizzaks are pricey, but they are absolutely a night and day difference compared to even the best all season tires, especially in Michigan. I live on a STEEP incline. When I rock all seasons during winter and there's any snow on the driveway, I have to get a running start to make it all the way up my hill and hope I don't go off the side. With the blizzaks, my car crawls up no problem, without a running start.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys ! I appreciate the responses. I pretty much figured it would not be a problem because I rotate tires every 5k at oil changes and haven’t had a problem but that’s the same 4 sensors.
also thanks for the blizzaks tip, that may be what I’m looking for. I love my car but to say the Goodyear’s are bad in the snow is a huge understatement, got it stuck in the driveway yesterday and spent an hour getting it out. This was after I snowblowed it out, it just slid of to the side into the really deep stuff, my wife wanted to call a tow truck which just aggravated me. Another question I have is that there appears to be no place to hook a “tow strap” anywhere on this car. Any of you had that experience ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks guys ! I appreciate the responses. I pretty much figured it would not be a problem because I rotate tires every 5k at oil changes and haven’t had a problem but that’s the same 4 sensors.
also thanks for the blizzaks tip, that may be what I’m looking for. I love my car but to say the Goodyear’s are bad in the snow is a huge understatement, got it stuck in the driveway yesterday and spent an hour getting it out. This was after I snowblowed it out, it just slid of to the side into the really deep stuff, my wife wanted to call a tow truck which just aggravated me. Another question I have is that there appears to be no place to hook a “tow strap” anywhere on this car. Any of you had that experience ?
I dont even like the Goodyears on dry pavement lol.

As far as tow strap goes, on very front there isn't much, but there's a nice piece of the frame right behind each front tire that's good to hook onto, a bit of a pain in the ass but it works

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Rob, I guess I would have had to dig to get to the tow points because it was down to the hard pack, not much ground clearance under these !

as far as the Goodyear’s go in the dry they seem to work ok but are quite noisey imho, funny thing or surprising thing to me is that a lower speed kick down this thing seems to light the tires up, a little fun for this old gear head but I don’t care for the torque steer at all. Damn nice car though except in the snow, my first Chevy in about 50yrs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks Rob, I guess I would have had to dig to get to the tow points because it was down to the hard pack, not much ground clearance under these !

as far as the Goodyear’s go in the dry they seem to work ok but are quite noisey imho, funny thing or surprising thing to me is that a lower speed kick down this thing seems to light the tires up, a little fun for this old gear head but I don’t care for the torque steer at all. Damn nice car though except in the snow, my first Chevy in about 50yrs.
Yea these things can be a pain in the snow, I plan on relocating to warmer weather soon. After getting a foot of snow a couple days ago I'm all set lol.

I really like my Vogue Signature Vs for summer time, they have a nice aggressive tread pattern and still have a 60k tread warranty. Very quiet too, and they don't break the bank.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Blizzacks are going to be noisier than any all season tire, but all of the winter tire brands are noisy. I put some Altimax Artics on my wife's '06 VW Beetle convertible about 12 years ago that took it from not being able to move in the least bit of snow or ice, to just about go anywhere she needed it to. The were really noisy, but it was worth it, and they were cheaper than the Blizzacks. You can compare the costs of the different brands on tirerack.com.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're rotating the tires and don't do a sensor relearn your car will be telling you that the left front is low and it's really the right rear. As long as the car sees the right four sensors it won't see a problem except that it still thinks it knows which wheel is where. Relearn tools are cheap on Amazon.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have 4 TPMS sensors for sale.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have an orange TPMS relearn tool coming, I ended up buying (Ordering) a set of Michelin X-Ice tires, all the reviews I seen on them put them right up there with the Blizzacks which are basically considered to be the bench mark!

now the next thing that happened today is almost allthe tire shops in the area would sell me tires but refused to install them on the front unless I put them on all 4 corners, stupidest thing I ever heard and after questioning them why they had such an ignorant policy it ultimately came down to them saying “it’s company policy”. I could have bought a set of aggressive all weather tires and put them on the front no questions asked, just not a set of snow rated tires, all under the guise of some supposed stability issue,,,, we are surrounded by idiots !

So let me ask you, how many of you if any have/had to install snows on all 4 corners ? Inquiring minds wanna know.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, I have an orange TPMS relearn tool coming, I ended up buying (Ordering) a set of Michelin X-Ice tires, all the reviews I seen on them put them right up there with the Blizzacks which are basically considered to be the bench mark!

now the next thing that happened today is almost allthe tire shops in the area would sell me tires but refused to install them on the front unless I put them on all 4 corners, stupidest thing I ever heard and after questioning them why they had such an ignorant policy it ultimately came down to them saying “it’s company policy”. I could have bought a set of aggressive all weather tires and put them on the front no questions asked, just not a set of snow rated tires, all under the guise of some supposed stability issue,,,, we are surrounded by idiots !

So let me ask you, how many of you if any have/had to install snows on all 4 corners ? Inquiring minds wanna know.
I've only had it said to me once, I told them it's my fucking car and I'm the fucking the customer. Tires got put on the front. Their reasoning is because they say the rear can slide off to the side in a braking situation, but they're too stupid to realize that the front tires do all the work including most of the braking. No grip on the front leaves you dead in the water.

Reactions: Passx

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you can swing it money wise ... Get 4 wheels and winter tires of your choice but change the profile of the winter tires! My 2014 LTZ has 245/45-19 tires that SUCK in snow. I bought new wheels from Summit 16" and Winter Command Good Year 225/60/16 from Tire Rack and 4 sensors from amazon and I'm OK. I think Bizzaks would be a better choice, but I get 3+ years service out winter tires and I don't care about cost when I'm on bad winter roads!

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are several outstanding 60-80k warrantied 4 season tires on the market and they are every bit as good in the snow as winter tires...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a ‘17 and bought a set of 17” rims and Blizzacks. So far they’re great in the Pennsylvania winter weather. Outside diameter is the same as the original tires but they’re a little narrower for better winter traction. I found a set of discontinued aluminium rims on tire rack that were the correct size and offset.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There are several outstanding 60-80k warrantied 4 season tires on the market and they are every bit as good in the snow as winter tires...
No they aren't, period. I got a driveway with a 30-40⁰ incline if you want to test your theory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rob, totally agree, my car, my money ! I worked in the lab for one of the biggest oe brake suppliers and have driven in many different scenarios for them. Now I will agree that because of the extra bite of the snow tires that if the rear steps out a bit when you let off with a front drive vehicle it will probably snap around but that would happen no matter what.

I do believe that their entire argument was simply in the interest of selling more tires, but in my case they sold nothing, my car, my money !

·
Registered
202 Posts
Rob, totally agree, my car, my money ! I worked in the lab for one of the biggest oe brake suppliers and have driven in many different scenarios for them. Now I will agree that because of the extra bite of the snow tires that if the rear steps out a bit when you let off with a front drive vehicle it will probably snap around but that would happen no matter what.

I do believe that their entire argument was simply in the interest of selling more tires, but in my case they sold nothing, my car, my money !
A lot of people don't seem to realize that the rear tires have to follow the front tires. I understand what they're talking about as well, but if my rear end feels like it's starting to get away, giving a little throttle will pull it right back in line. And like you said, if I have to brake that hard in the snow, the rear is going to slide anyways. But if those fronts are bald, youre not stopping at all.

Now I don't even have to deal with the tire shop. Bought my own changer and a bubble balancer. Worth every penny.

Reactions: Passx
1 - 20 of 38 Posts