Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run winter tires? Living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where last year average temperatures were around 20 degrees and lower and yearly snow average is above 10 feet, while commuting to college daily. Winters are a must. Talk to my local walmart where I usually buy my tires. I had General Altimax Arctics on my car last year briefly before being sold and just seeing if any runs winters, if so what kind and how they are. The arctics were really good. Just hope my car can drive good in the winter, which I haven't done yet but as of today it has already snowed 3 times! Wal-Mart also has the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT. Both around $450 out the door with taxes and life time balance and rotation. Suggest road hazard warranty also or no?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Ice+WRT&partnum=26SR6UGIWRT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Impala LS Sedan&autoModClar=With Rubber Valve Stems

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic&partnum=26QR6AMAXA&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Impala LS Sedan&autoModClar=With Rubber Valve Stems

·
Registered
651 Posts
those look like some awesome tires, I don't think they sell them down here in Maryland we just use our M+S tires but then again everything shuts down here when the first snow flakes fall and it makes the pavement wet. I am sure you laugh at us.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to my cousin up here who is a mechanic and he said that the Blizzaks are not nearly as good as they used to be. So I decided on going with the General Altimax Arctic's. Had them on my car last year and they were a beast. And yeah, some people freak out about snow up here, but were in a snow belt so its just another winter haha.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used too, then after running all season at the beginning of winter last year, Goodyear Assurance Tripletred, they were terrible. Was sliding everywhere. Went and got winter tires mounted two days later and night and day. Was passing trucks on the highway. Really helpful, when coming home from work at 4 am often and the roads are unplowed, pushing 4-6 inches of snow plus, they were amazing. Unless I could find an amazing all season tire, like the Nokian WRG2, ill be going with winters. And an excuse to need new rims for summer!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright. Thanks bud. I think I'll just stick with the full winters.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at them. Woke up to three inches of snow this morning. I went to WalMart and decided on the General's. Just had better reviews. Will be getting them installed on Thursday!

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
All season tires are a compromise , beside the tread pattern winter tires are made of a softer rubber to give better grip in cold temperatures whereas summer or all season become hard in the cold and have less traction.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly! I never had winter tires until last year and they were mind blowing compared to all seasons!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I talked to my cousin up here who is a mechanic and he said that the Blizzaks are not nearly as good as they used to be. So I decided on going with the General Altimax Arctic's. Had them on my car last year and they were a beast. And yeah, some people freak out about snow up here, but were in a snow belt so its just another winter haha.

I have the Michelin X-Ice winter tires for winter and just bought General Tire Altimax RT43s for the summer, because the OEM Goodyear Eagle crap tires were almost worn out. The General Tires are really good for an all season tire and feel almost as soft as the Michelin X-Ice winter tires. I'm surprised how high the quality of General Tires are. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts