Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The few times there was snow on the roads last winter the stock tires were horrendous. So taking a new job over the summer with a 70 mile country road round trip makes me nervous. So I'm getting a winter wheel set up. I checked with the local tire shop today and was quoted around $1200 for 17" steels and blizzaks. While I'd much prefer to buy locally the price I found online I couldn't pass up. Here's what I ordered from Discount Tire.

After $100 Rebate it's $875, pretty good for mounted balanced wheels shipped to your door with lug nuts.
Any reason I messed up, other than looking ugly, let me know so I can cancel it.
The $100 rebate offer expires tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes I know I will be without TPMS, not sure what the consequences of that are other than maybe an annoying light. In my honda you could not turn off the traction control if a tire was low.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have about the same package on my 2015. Same wheels, same size tire, only I used Nokian tires. I did have TPMS put in as the wife is the primary driver. Before the sensors calibrated themselves, a message came up on the dash. It could be deleted with the check button on the steering wheel. I think a light or symbol came on, but it was not obtrusive. If you would happen to get enough snow to need chains, I don't think there is enough room for even cable chains. I can't even get my finger between the tire and strut mount. Haven't noticed any rubbing though. Where I live in Washington State, we do get snow and ice. It is frightening to look at tires on vehicles in parking lots in the winter. I wish there were more people like you that consider their safety and the safety of others during the winter months and run dedicated snow tires. Several years ago, the Washington State Patrol said the most dangerous vehicle on the road in the winter was a front wheel drive with all season radials.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For my winter setup I went cheap and easy. Found a set of Camaro 18's for sale on the local buysell with the sensors in them for cheap and found a very lightly used set of Michelin Xice 235/55/18 tires to go on them. No ugly steels and no hassle lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For my winter setup I went cheap and easy. Found a set of Camaro 18's for sale on the local buysell with the sensors in them for cheap and found a very lightly used set of Michelin Xice 235/55/18 tires to go on them. No ugly steels and no hassle lol.
sounds like a nice find on the wheels, I looked through a lot of alloy wheels that would have only added a few hundred to the price. at 17" to keep cost down any would look bad. While steels look bad too I think they clearly put across having a purpose not a fashion statement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have about the same package on my 2015. Same wheels, same size tire, only I used Nokian tires. I did have TPMS put in as the wife is the primary driver. Before the sensors calibrated themselves, a message came up on the dash. It could be deleted with the check button on the steering wheel. I think a light or symbol came on, but it was not obtrusive. If you would happen to get enough snow to need chains, I don't think there is enough room for even cable chains. I can't even get my finger between the tire and strut mount. Haven't noticed any rubbing though. Where I live in Washington State, we do get snow and ice. It is frightening to look at tires on vehicles in parking lots in the winter. I wish there were more people like you that consider their safety and the safety of others during the winter months and run dedicated snow tires. Several years ago, the Washington State Patrol said the most dangerous vehicle on the road in the winter was a front wheel drive with all season radials.
By my math these tires, while obviously narrower, are exactly the same diameter. So as far as chains I would never need or use they should have the same or better clearance as stock.

And thanks, I'll have to stay aware that the car behind me probably can't stop as fast as me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheels should come in soon, but I probably won't mount until the first sign of snow. Will post pics of my poor molested LTZ when I mount them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nova scotia canada here, snowing as i type lol.... 225/60/17s on steelies for me. Hankook ice pike studded. 1100-1200 after everthing installed on my car. Tires+studs+balace/mount+install on car....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got my wheels on just in time for some snow. Found a unsalted snow covered backroad to try them out. Holy shit the difference snow tires make! Took some pretty hard braking and gas to get the ABS to kick on or any wheel spin.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I love the way black steel wheels look and snow tires are bad-ass, all seasons are a sick joke if it actually snows where you live.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think they look horrible but if you get a lot of snow then you gotta do what you gotta do. Thankfully I've never had to switch out wheels and or tires for winter where I've lived in Oklahoma, Illinois and Virginia.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think they look horrible but if you get a lot of snow then you gotta do what you gotta do. Thankfully I've never had to switch out wheels and or tires for winter where I've lived in Oklahoma, Illinois and Virginia.
Yeah they look pretty bad. It wasn't that the weather around here is so bad I need dedicated snow tires. It was more that the factory tires are downright dangerous on slick roads. They still have plenty of tread left and work perfectly fine in the summer. So trashing them and spending $800-$1000 on better all seasons seemed like a waste.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As good as these preformed on the way to work this morning I wonder how much better they will work now that all 4 are turning the right direction instead of 2. Yeah...I had no idea they were uni directional. Noticed the rotation arrow when I was pumping gas.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
haha don't worry even Spider-Man has had face palm incidents before...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got the factory 16's and am running Mastercraft MC 440s. Not bad gas milage and the tire is awesome.

The factory 16s aren't as nice as my factory 17s but hey it keeps the salt and corrosion off my nice ones :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am putting some miles on my Michelin X ice III's now and have no complaints. They seem every bit as quiet as the Firestones and grip very well. It's quite cold here (-20f and lower) and it doesn't seem to affect their performance. I will be putting on 800 or more miles over the next couple days and that should be a good run to see how they truly are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts