Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with the wipers on my 2003. When I had them on today during a heavy rain today, the drivers side blade would gradually get to the point that half of it would hang off the end of the windshield as the wipers moved. What could be the problem? Hasn't done this till today

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Having a problem with the wipers on my 2003. When I had them on today during a heavy rain today, the drivers side blade would gradually get to the point that half of it would hang off the end of the windshield as the wipers moved. What could be the problem? Hasn't done this till today

The windshield wiper transmission assembly mounted under the cowl could be going bad (it is replaced as an assembly), or the wiper blade could be loose on the wiper transmission stud.

With the wipers turned off, grab the wiper arm and see if it will move, or is rigid on its mount.

If it is loose, you may be able to remove the plastic cap and tighten the nut holding the arm onto the stud.

If tightening the nut does not fix the loose arm, it will have to be replaced. The wiper arm is a press-fit onto the stud, with the wiper arm having a softer metal which cuts its own threads when the new arm is installed (by positioning it correctly, then tightening the nut).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The windshield wiper transmission assembly mounted under the cowl could be going bad (it is replaced as an assembly), or the wiper blade could be loose on the wiper transmission stud.

With the wipers turned off, grab the wiper arm and see if it will move, or is rigid on its mount.

If it is loose, you may be able to remove the plastic cap and tighten the nut holding the arm onto the stud.

If tightening the nut does not fix the loose arm, it will have to be replaced. The wiper arm is a press-fit onto the stud, with the wiper arm having a softer metal which cuts its own threads when the new arm is installed (by positioning it correctly, then tightening the nut).

I will check it out, thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts