Impala Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,316 Posts
the level of tint depends on what you're looking for. are you looking for something darker than factory but enough that the cops would leave you alone (idk how your police treat tint in your area), or are you looking to make it difficult to see in the car.

my 2010 impala has 18% on the rear doors/windows with 35% on the front doors per what michigan law allowed at the time i lived there. the wifes 2011 cruze has 20% all the way around (we ignored indiana's 35% legal limit and have never had an issue with either of our cars). with that being said during the day you can see into my car a whole lot easier than the cruze (outside lighting makes a big difference on this as brighter days its easier to see in, darker days it's harder to see into the car through the front windshield).

this year i'm getting the front doors redone and will go with the 20% on the front doors this time around for the impala as the difference during the time night driving is negligible (you can't see well from either car at night in a dimly lit area, city driving with lots of lighting it isn't too bad). either car i find myself putting down the front windows to back up at night plus looking around for potential things to avoid before i get into the car.

when we had both of ours done at reputable places i didn't ask about the quality of tint the offer, i just got whatever they sold me (stupid i know but i didn't think about it much). the only reason i am getting the fronts on mine redone is my wife was helping me clean the car and used windex on the front window before i could catch her....now it's getting fish eyes in the tint badly and my ocd is going bonkers looking at it daily now.

a side note, if i get pulled over i just roll down both front windows and have yet to be asked about the tint. i feel like if you make it easier on the cops they just leave you alone for tint (and i've seen waaayyyy darker than mine around town frequently for years lol).

just my two cents though...

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Good point - that is another benefit of the 3M ColorStable tint - it's "Windex safe". That is something that I know 3m specifically mentions. I'm not sure if other brands of tint are also windex-safe or not, but 3M is (at least the ColorStable type - not sure about other 3M tints).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk
yeah on both cars they said specifically don't use ammonia based cleaners on the tint. which is fine as i've found 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mix does a decent job cleaning windows and getting rid of the haze.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.