Impala Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody successfully done, or know of someone who has blacked out the plastic chrome around the windows on an 8th gen? What products and techniques do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
^^ That is sick!

I am wondering how it compares to Plastidip in terms of time/difficulty.... I am going to try it soon, just for the heck of it.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, 2 questions:

1) What is this Plastidip I keep hearing about?

2) Unrelated, are the badges on the grille and the trunk the same? I plan on doing some painting tomorrow, and if they are the same, I will experiment with the one already off the car first

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Bowtie badges on front and rear are the same.

Plastidip is a rubberized coating that comes in a spray can. Needs almost no prep to adhere and overspray can simply be pulled off. It works on rims and grills, it will certainly work on window trim.

http://www.plastidip.com/

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm...can you take the window trim off? If so would definitely try that

·
Registered
913 Posts
No you can't take it off without seriously f*ing it up.

A guy did the plasti-did job on his chrome on NAIOA and it "looks" like it turned out ok. I've been thinking about doing the plasti-dip till I take it to a shop and get it painted correctly.

Oh and the black out tape takes some time and patients to do. The back small window is the hardest part to do since the tape doesn't "bend" that well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
im gunna have a shop do mine, Painting them, they do all my shit for decent prices, They blacked out my tail lights and bowties for 80 bucks and they look amazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts