Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting some new rims for my 2004 Chevrolet impala, I am either thinking of 18" or 20". If I go with 20" will these do any damage to the car possibly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The extra weight of big rimZ can create some extra strain on your transmission- being that the 4T65E isn't exactly known as being bulletproof, this may be something to think about. Those big blingin' chrome Giavannas you want might end up costing you a new trans. LOL

I've heard it can cause a little extra strain on the steering gear too. Never seen this personally though.

If it were my car...I'd probably go with 18s.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
18s max IMO. Driving style and road conditions will play a huge factor in on your transmission. As stated these transmissions aren't the best to begin with. Your transmission isn't the only piece to the puzzle either. The added weight will also put a strain on cv axles and all other suspension components. Research will also show that the ride quality and comfort will suffer from running 20s. I would also look for a drop in power and mpgs with the extra rotating mass. Tires will also be more expensive, and brakes will wear out sooner too.

That being said its your car and your preference. Some people have had no issues with them, some have. Best of luck, scotty.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Look up RYD SLO, he's running 8th gen wheels on his silver 7th gen :eek:k3:

Reactions: RYD SLO

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
They fit great! I'm running 235/50-18s and 1/4" spacers on the rear. If you want to run spacers, make sure you get ones that are hub-centric. Mine are not and I get vibrations at 55-65mph

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
For your viewing pleasure:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
18s max IMO. Driving style and road conditions will play a huge factor in on your transmission. As stated these transmissions aren't the best to begin with. Your transmission isn't the only piece to the puzzle either. The added weight will also put a strain on cv axles and all other suspension components. Research will also show that the ride quality and comfort will suffer from running 20s. I would also look for a drop in power and mpgs with the extra rotating mass. Tires will also be more expensive, and brakes will wear out sooner too.

That being said its your car and your preference. Some people have had no issues with them, some have. Best of luck, scotty.
All legit and very true :eek:k3:

18's at max. A nice look without sacrificing ride quality, overpaying for less rubber, or putting components (brakes, suspension, and drivetrain) at risk

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
yeah I want those ss wheels but out here in Canada you don't see them for sale often and when you do they go for $1000.
They can be hard to find for sale. My best suggestion is to check Craigslist in US cities that are close to the border, and if/when you see a set pop up for sale at a reasonable price, take the trip down

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Its funny, the 8th gen SS rims look 100x better on the 7th gen.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
17" 5x127mm

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Ok then.

·
Super Moderator
10,793 Posts
Ya I'm old school , but it just don't look cool

·
The F*** Killer
1,592 Posts
I like bigger wheels not just on the Impala's..... Biggest wheels I have ever own was when I had my 97 Chevy Blazer it had 22's.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts