Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 80s G Body tailpipes fit 80's Caprice? I found some really nice Monte Carlo SS pipes with stainless tips.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Good question, I want to know too. I was told a lot of G-body parts fit on the caprice. I have a 2 door caprice that I'd like to get parts for too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good question, I want to know too. I was told a lot of G-body parts fit on the caprice. I have a 2 door caprice that I'd like to get parts for too.
What size are the tailpipes for monte? You could always have a exhaust shop weld on a piece of metal that is caprice size to monte size to tailpipes to make it fit, if you get what im saying

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am still wondering if these pipes will fit Caprices and Impalas.
Seems like no one knows for sure, so I will wade in...

My recollection is that the Monte Carlo has the mufflers in the same place as the full-size cars (unlike the Cutlass which had the muffler tucked tranversely behind the rear axle). These mid-sze cars were setup similar to the full-size cars, but on a slightly smaller scale.

If your question is whether you can put the tailpipes on WITHOUT MODIFICATION and have them fit right, I would bet that the answer is NO.

If you are asking whether you can put them on WITH A LITTLE MODIFICATION and have fit right, then I would say "most likely yes". The key as to whether or not it is a good decision cost-wise is whether you have a good muffler shop around that is not a chain shop (Midas, etc.). Most of these smaller shops will take little projects like this and not charge an arm and a leg to do it.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! It would be good to know from someone who has one of each. It would be hard to believe that GM would them very different, other than the wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
most good small muffler shops will mod any of exhaust for u im sure thay can make it fit let us know ( but like eh said there has to be a small amount of customization done let us know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fargo

Is there anyone in the Fargo, ND area that wants to try this? I have a bunch of the Monte pipes with stainless tips if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
most good small muffler shops will mod any of exhaust for u im sure thay can make it fit let us know ( but like eh said there has to be a small amount of customization done let us know
Po pimpin is correct you can also use tailpipes off a 94-96 impalas when the exhaust shop did me caprice they did a custom 2 1/2 exhaust with xpipe and mandrel bent tails that were actually dynomax tailpipes i dont remember the part number anymore because it was about 3yrs ago

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Monte carlo and cutlass were the same car, the exhaust is the same on both. I don't think that a G body exhaust will work on a caprice from what I have seen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont think they wanted to use the whole exhaust just the tailpipe and if you modify the tilpipes they would probably work the biggest question is it worth the money ?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
But that is where the biggest difference is. The G-body has a transverse muffler that goes behind the gas tank, the B-body doesn't have a space there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
your partially correct mostly on the 6cyl have that. montes and gns had a a sinle exhaust that spit into a dual with two mufflers those were the ones i was refering to

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Ah, I was unaware. My friend has an 84 monte that had a factory 305, it was single exhaust but now has an F-body flowmaster that goes transverse behind the tank like I was saying. I did not know they did a dual system the way you said.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts