Impala Forums banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Looking forward to you finishing your audio install!! Can't wait to see some pics and hear your impressions!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I officially have a pile of spaghetti on the passenger floor... Every bit of wire is run and awaiting seat removal so I can get it all routed, hooked up, and neatly bundled and zip tied under the carpet. Tomorrow morning will hopefully be the final day of this install. Really wish I had a whole day to this from start to finish, but that's how it goes sometimes. Been without a radio for 2 weeks now...

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Just think of how nice it will be when it's all done though! It'll be well worth the wait, I'm sure!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Well, it is hooked up and running. Initial impressions are good. The speakers need time to break in. I finished it up just before 10:00 tonight so I didn't have much time to play with it. After my debacle of having bad amp turn on wires and troubleshooting that, it killed my day. I need to put the back seats back in and clean the seats really good. I need to dip the wood trim around the radio and shifter some more before they go back on. I will play with the radio before I leave for work in the morning and fiddle some more when I leave work to come home.

@jtrosky... I have noticed you did some tweeking on the 1210... Looks different than the one I am about to send back to you. I like it so far. I will test everything out and let you know how it is. So far so good though.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
@jtrosky... I have noticed you did some tweeking on the 1210... Looks different than the one I am about to send back to you. I like it so far. I will test everything out and let you know how it is. So far so good though.
Yeah, really, all that I did was to enable a skin in the GPS app. You can always go back to the stock skin through the menus, but once you get used to the skin, I think you'll really like it. It's an earlier version of the skin that I use on the GM1010 (can't use the latest version of the skin because I have to used an older version of Primo on the GM1210 than I use on the GM1010). But it's still a lot better than the stock skin. You should also have a few more TTS-related settings now as well... You'll have to explore it a little when you have more time.

Glad to hear that all is well though!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
And the stereo system project is finally done, for now... Car is back together and it sounds great, but I still have to tweek the settings in the Rosen to fine tune it. I would like to buy a processor in the future to really clean it up and get more RCA voltage to the amps, since the Rosen is only good for 2 volts. I have zero regrets on the Rosen because it looks so factory. With my amps hidden under my front seats and all of the wiring nicely tucked away, you can't tell there is a system in the car until you turn it up. It took longer than it should have to do this but my work hours and family time have to fit in there somewhere. That said, I need to tint my tail lights, dip the bowties and finish dipping the wood trim. Then I need to save some coin for the Overkill package....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Here are a couple of pics of the trim pieces I dipped. I think the silver dip is a little too bright...

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Another potential option if you don't like the woodgrain (or the silver) - they sell these "dash kits" on Ebay, which are basically like decals that you put over all of the woodgrain pieces. They have TONS of different colors/finishes/patterns to choose from. Plus they also cover some of the other area that are normally just black. Here is a link as a "for example" - these ones in particular are very reasonably priced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352036618471

This particular one is Burlwood, but like I said that have a lot of different options... Haven't seen them in person, but... Gives you a lot to choose from and would also be a lot easier than dipping (I would think).

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That is definitely a good idea for the pieces on the door. I am dreading dipping those 2 pieces because I didn't want to try and remove them from the door panels and break one... Figured I'd mask off as much as possible and do it. Let's see how daring I feel...

On another note, the stereo kicked ass today. I am going to run the GPS to work tomorrow and see how that does. I will most likely shipping the old Rosen back by the end of the week.

Reactions: 09_Impala_SS

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I am going to run the GPS to work tomorrow and see how that does.
Hey Matt - did you get a chance to test the GPS system? If so, did everything work ok? Any questions about the interface of the new skin? Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Everything seems to be good with it... Only 1 small issue I have... Just replied to your PM and gave you the details there... Don't think it is a Rosen issue...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Time for a review of the stereo system... Flat out, it sounds great. I can't speak highly enough about the Polk Audio speakers... Great bang for the buck. They haven't broken in yet but they will sound better when they do. The Pioneer amp is feeding them 100 watts RMS each and is doing fine for a budget amp. The whole system is actually a budget install and it sounds great. I am going to buy a sound processor and most likely it will be the Kicker Front Row. The price is good, $190-$250 is where I have seen it. It is a 6 channel and will push 8 volts to the amps. The tuning features are good enough for an amateur such as myself and will really wake up what I feel is a good system.

I need to add some sound deadening to the license plate and the trunk lid... Noticed a little rattle when I filled it up with gas on Friday night. I will do the rear doors eventually just to get the same feel the front doors now have.

The Rosen is just a great stereo for the system. It does have its quirks, and it is just a few tweaks away from being perfect, but since Rosen is pretty much done with these stereos, it is what it is. The 1210 has a fair amount of tuning built into it and gets it done. Still happy I made the choice to buy it and not another brand.

I am on the fence with wanting more bass. The Kenwood sub and amp does well, but sometimes I feel like I want more. I may sell it and go after a 12", 500 watt RMS Kicker 2 ohm sub and supporting box. The Kenwood amp I have now will push 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms so it will work fine. Overall, I am happy with it and now the commute to work is even more enjoyable. So if anyone is looking for a budget upgrade, $350 will get you 2 pair of Polk speakers and a Pioneer amp to run them. You can add some bass for another $350, add your amp wiring and upgrade your stereo and you should come in under a grand doing the work yourself and not spending too much on a new head unit. The Impala is very easy to take apart and run wiring and both my amps fit under the front seats. So the only thing in the trunk is the box and while it is highly unlikely, I can take it out if I need the space. Also, not sure if many people are aware of this, in our trunks, under the carpet close to the back seat, is an access cover for the fuel pump. The fuel tank does not have to be dropped to replace the fuel pump. Just pull back the carpet, unscrew the access cover and bam... You can get right at the pump and replace it quickly. This was something I thought of when deciding to torture myself putting the amps under the front seats.

Lastly, buy a good amp install kit. I thought Stinger was decent but they apparently are falling apart. KnuKoncepts is the way to go. I chased a problem longer than I should have and it came down to a faulty, brand new fuse. Anything can be new or rebuilt and be faulty, but be diligent when chasing problems and buy good stuff in the first place.

Next up on the mod list is tail lights and bowties. I have trans fluid ready and awaiting, oil change is due shortly. Need to check the air filter and I think I am going to change the spark plugs in 5,000 miles which will be 50,000 on the car. I get the whole 100,000 mile plug change concept. But since these plugs can be removed without pulling the intake, why not? It won't hurt anything other than my wallet for a brief moment. Eight months of ownership and I am still happy with my decision to buy this Impala... Fits the bill perfectly for my needs as a commuter.

Reactions: jtrosky

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Changed the oil and trans fluid yesterday. Went with a Mobil 1 extended filter and Mobil 1 synthetic. I used the Castrol Transmax Dex 6 again. It came out pretty good color wise, so I will push the trans drain and fill out to maybe a once a year deal, doing it twice at 5 quarts at a time. Seems reasonable to me and gives me good piece of mind. I still have nightmares over 2 Grand Prix trans rebuilds... Still makes me throw up in my mouth a little, not that y'all really needed to know that...

I am waiting for a good weekend to do my bowties and tail lights. My daughter has a swim meet this coming weekend, regional championship, so this one is out. Maybe the following weekend.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Nothing much to write about today. Haven't had much time to do anything other than a recent oil and trans fluid change. In fact, it is due for oil again soon. Other than wash it a couple of times, no new mods or changes. I am going to change the spark plugs soon as I am getting close to 50,000 miles. No way I am waiting to 100,000. $40 or $50 on spark plugs and my time is worth it to me.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Boring update... Just an oil change, along with air filter and cabin air filter changes. Like I said, boring... I think mods are going to wait until spring, although I have been looking at LED headlamp and foglamp replacements. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Farting around with picture uploading, you know, since PhotoBucket f$#ked us all over... F you PhotoBucket...

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
That was my day one purchase pic, still sitting at the dealership, bone stock... Now that I got this picture uploading thing kinda sorta figured out, I can post pics of stuff again.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Not too much to update... I dipped the Bowtie emblems black finally. I also started the woodgrain to techno steel interior trim swap. The dash piece is swapped and I am awaiting the stereo and console surrounds to arrive. I know it will be hell finding the door panel pieces by themselves so if I can't find them I will do something with mine.

I will be replacing the tires soon and I want to go to 245/45-18 so that will necessitate a wheel swap. If I can pull the trigger on new wheels, my stock LTZ 18s will be for sale.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I got the stereo surround and console trim pieces installed a couple of weeks ago. Only thing left to do is the door panel pieces. Looks so much better with the techno steel.

Did an oil change and switched over to E85 to see if it will help or hinder me... Thread started in 8th gen forum.

Lastly, replaced my front bumper on Saturday because someone decided to back into it a few weeks ago. I ordered one already painted and ready to install. Install was really simple, aside from the foglamp mount rings... they were a b*tch to remove. Paint match was spot on.

Time for tires and possibly wheels. If I do get wheels, there will be a set of near mint LTZ 18s for sale shortly.

Reactions: 04Imp38
81 - 100 of 115 Posts