Impala Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I have read mixed reviews about the Peel and Seal stuff at Lowe's... Sound deadening material is stupid expensive for what it is. I scored a great deal on the stuff I bought years ago and still have today. I am praying I have enough to do the Impala with... If not, off to Lowes to see what they have. Don't pay a shop to do the job... I made that mistake a long time ago and I still kick my own ass today for it...

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Actually, I have a roll of that Peel and Seal stuff here that I bought over a year ago to do this exact thing, but then I decided against it. I was too afraid that it would stink after installed (literally!).. :) I'll spring for the real thing - not sure what kind yet though - any suggestions?

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
HushMat, FatMat, and DynaMat all do the same thing so I would shop for the best price. I don't know what the name of the stuff is that I bought, but I bought it back in 2006 from a guy I worked with. A friend of his bought the roll from someone brand new and he had a ton of it left over so I bought it for $20. I still have alot and should have enough for the Impala.

I have read the mixed reviews on Peel and Seal and for every one person that says they can smell it, several others say they can't, so I am not sure what to believe. My biggest thing is eliminating rattle from bass, with road noise and temp being second.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So, the stereo install is underway way, barely. I pulled the A pillars and removed the factory tweeters. I test fit a Polk tweeter from the component set I bought and it fit in the factory holder dam near perfect. I pressed it into place as far as it would go and then ran a thick bead of clear silicone around it and let it cure. Started that this morning so tomorrow morning they will be good to go.

The silicone I used...

The tweeters in place...

I took the time to run my GPS antenna to the top of the dash, under the removable cover. I wanted to unclutter behind the stereo since there will be 3 sets of RCA cables behind it soon. The crossovers will be tucked behind the kick panels and the amps are going under the front seats. So the only thing that will be in the trunk is a single 12" sub.

The next "phase" will be the rear 6x9s swap and some sound deadener on the shelf. I will run the speaker and sub wires up to the seats and clean and treat the leather while the seats are out.

I will keep working on it as time allows and take pics along the way.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Didn't have to work today so I got after it on the rear deck speakers. Ripped out the rear seats, removed the rear shelf and side covers to expose the speakers.

Removed the little 3" speakers and swapped the Polks in. Laid down a fair amount of sound deadener and put it all back together except for the rear seats. I need to run speaker and sub wire and I am eventually going to remove the front seats, console and carpet to put the amps in and run all of the wiring. So the rear seats can stay out for now. With any luck, I may be able to wrap it up this coming weekend, we shall see...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Won't be able to mess with the car until this coming weekend. It is killing me that I cannot devote an entire day to this. So far, taking this car apart has been a complete breeze. I hope that trend continues. The front seats, center console, door panels and carpet all have to come out so I can finish. I am going to sound deaden the doors on the inner and outer skins and do the floor pan in select areas. The back seats are still out and let me tell you... You can hear way more road noise and they are heavy... I can see the rear sitting up a tad higher. I may do some deadener in the trunk too... Have to see if I have any rattle with this Kenwood sub.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Right now, I'm Iooking at either Rockmat or Noico - they are both butyl rubber based deadeners (I want to stay away from the asphalt stuff). One is 80 mil (Noico) and the other is 72 mil (Rockmat) thick. Both seem to get great reviews and are very reasonably priced (at least compared to the big name brands).

Keep in mind that I don't have a "booming system" - just 6.75" door speakers and 6x9" rear deck speakers. With a 45Wx4 RMS amp. So I just need some basic deadener to stop the metallic vibrations from the bass...

Looking forward to watching your install progress!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
If you end up doing the insides of the doors, you'll get that ritzy, high dollar car door close, not our plasticky, cheap feel.

I am going to get up early on Saturday morning and carry on... Gonna look at the Peel and Seal and make a decision on it. Tuesday morning I can hopefully wrap up the install. Sunday is most likely out. Monday I should be working, but if not, then I will commence going boom.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Besides the smell potential (or in addition to, I should say) on peel-n-seal, I was worried that if it does smell, that it would make a crazy mess if I had to remove it... That's was the final nail in the coffin for the peel-n-seal idea for me. :) Typically, if I do something, I try to do it somewhat right. The Rockmat and Noico that I mentioned above aren't very expensive, so I think they are a good choice instead of peel-n-seal...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
What kinda prices did you get on the those 2 you have narrowed down?

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I haven't really "price shopped" them yet, but they are basically somewhere around $60-$70 for 36 sq. ft...

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I actually pulled the trigger on the Noico sound deadener today.... $65 shipped for 80 mil, 36 sq. ft. I honestly don't think I'll need much in order to silence the minor vibrations I get. Don't think I'll need to do the entire door - but we'll see when I get in there I guess.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I actually pulled the trigger on the Noico sound deadener today.... $65 shipped for 80 mil, 36 sq. ft. I honestly don't think I'll need much in order to silence the minor vibrations I get. Don't think I'll need to do the entire door - but we'll see when I get in there I guess.

If you have a fair amount left over and you want to sell it, let me know. I don't think I will have enough of my stuff to finish my car. I went to Lowe's for some screws and washers and I looked at the Peel and Seal... I figure it may work best on the floor pan but not on the doors or trunk lid or roof.

Which brings me to this update...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

I managed to get the Polks installed in the aftermarket speaker brackets and then took off the passenger side door panel and sound deadened the inside and outside skins. I didn't go all out because if I ever have to go inside there and repair something, I don't want to be stuck peeling the shit off. I fished the speaker wire thru the door grommet and zip tied the factory connector out of the way. This was the only picture I took but I have to do the driver side tomorrow so I can get some more pics of anyone wants. Once I get the driver side door done, all that is left to do is run the rear speaker and sub wire to the front, pull my front seats, carpet and console, and run my power cable from the battery to the cabin. And then wire it all up and put it back together. I am going to tackle as much as I can tomorrow.

Reactions: jtrosky and 04Imp38

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Oh wow - so just using small pieces of the sound deadener like that will make a significant difference? I always see pictures where this stuff covers every single inch of the door panel with one big piece - with cutouts and/or "slits" for wires, bolts, etc...

I'm like you - I don't want this stuff to interfere with future repairs, but I didn't realize that installing small pieces like this would actually work. This is why I was looking into professional installation, because I'm sure that it's a *huge* PITA to get complete coverage via large pieces of the deadener like you see in pictures on-line... If I can do it like you've done, using much smaller pieces and only covering the larger areas of bare metal, then I'll feel a lot better about installing it myself. :)

I doubt that I'll do the ceiling (although, headliner rattle has been an issue that I "resolved" by rigging it - as in, I shoved a rag into the headliner to put more downward pressure on it in the area that was vibrating!), but I may seriously consider removing the seats and doing the entire floor pan - I have a feeling that would make a significant difference in road noise - especially since I have no undercoating.

While I was mainly interested in doing this so that I could turn my bass up a little more (without the constant metallic rattles from the rear deck and front doors), I would love to actually silence the interior a little as well (there is a HUGE difference between the interior noise level in my 2012 Impala and my 2005 Buick LaCrosse)... The door and rear deck rattle is really hampering my tunes!! I can't listen with the equalization level I'd really like - I have to turn the bass down way too much at louder volumes... It still sounds good, but could sound so much better.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Most all out car stereo people and shops probably won't agree with how I did my car because the more you can get on, the better the results will be. However, we own GM W Body cars... We WILL be replacing power window motors, the stock speakers will eventually distort and crackle and need replaced, so this will not be the last time the door panels come off. Ask any mechanic that has had to peel this shit off how aggravating it is. What I have done is better than nothing and it sounds like to me that this will work for you too Jim... There is a difference in sound when the doors shut, not substantial, but enough. I did a little more in the Impala than I did my Grand Prix and the GP had a lot of rattles. Took care of almost all of them with the amount of sound deadening I did. Some rattles were just loose screws and shitty work by the previous owner, but it is what it is. So far I can tell my Impala has been apart before... There was a microfiber towel left under the speaker cover in the rear... Betting the rear window was replaced. The driver side front door panel has been off before and the weather panel removed... Betting on a window motor there... I will give credit though... The dealer tech that did the work took it apart and put it back together right, with the exception of the towel being left behind...

Which leads me to this next post...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Got the driver's side door done this morning... Got out there at 645 am and had at it. Also started to dip my wood trim...

This is Rust-Oleum Peel Coat Silver. I had a 20% off coupon and a $20 reward credit for AutoZone. I also cashed a $10 rebate check for 2 gallons of Peak Antifreeze I bought when I flushed the coolant on my wife's Yukon, so I went shopping. Picked up the can of silver Peel Coat, a can of Rust-Oleum Lens Tint, a can of CRC direct injection spray cleaner, a bottle of STP direct injection fuel additive, and 5 quarts of Castrol Transmax Dex 6 trans fluid. $110 plus worth of stuff for $50 and change out of pocket... Score!

Now it is time to run speaker wire, mount crossovers and run the amp power wire. I have to work tomorrow but am off Tuesday like most of the normal country, so I may get to seat removal and finishing on Tuesday... See how much I can get away with today before the wife says WTF...

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
@WickedGoat - so underneath my door panels there is a large mat-like piece covering the big holes in the door. I'm assuming that I would remove that, install the sound deadener and then put it back on (on top of any sound deadener that may be under it)? This way, if I need to remove it in order to repair the window motor or whatever, I could just peel it off like I did before I installed any deadener... Correct?

Here is a picture of the mat-like thing (the dark grey piece)... I've noticed that some Impalas have a different type of material for this piece - mine is like a real thick vinyl.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Yes, that is the factory plastic weather shield. Just remove it carefully because it has a thick bead of sticky silicone around the perimeter. Mine came off really easy. Lay your sound deadener out and when done, just pop the shield back on. Don't worry about sticking it to your deadener, it will be fine. You will be able to remove it in the future if necessary. If you leave it off altogether, you run the risk of moisture getting into the car instead of running to the drain holes at the bottom corners of the door.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Weather was not on my side today... However, I ran my rear speaker wire and sub wire up to front seat. I also ran the tweeter and door speaker wires to the crossovers, mounted them, and ran the amp wires from them to the seats. RCA cables and amp turn on wires are also run. Amp battery cable is run. All I need to do is put the amps under the seats, hook everything up, and put the car back together. Hopefully this coming Sunday I can finish.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts