41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Like my tips?

:biggrin:

Got them welded on today...

They could be a little bigger, but since I got these for free 3 years ago and paid $20 to install them, why not? Looks better than the boring stock look.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looking mighty sharp! May just have to get mine done!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Looking mighty sharp! May just have to get mine done!
Do it to it!! The inside diameter on mine is 2.5" and the outer is 3". I would definitely go bigger, within reason to fill the gap better.

Reactions: David3800

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Looks great! Another simple, inexpensive upgrade to these cars. You can even get these things at walmart for like $12 each. I've had my Walmart versions on my car for a few years now and they still look good.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm going to do the tips after seeing how great they look on this thread but I think I'm going to add a set of Flowmaster series 44 mufflers for a little punch out back.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm going to do the tips after seeing how great they look on this thread but I think I'm going to add a set of Flowmaster series 44 mufflers for a little punch out back.
The shop that put these on for me deals with Flowmaster and Magnaflow. He told me the Magnaflows sounded better on our cars and quoted me $300 installed for a pair of mufflers and the resonator removed with a pipe put in place. Now this is his opinion so take it for what it is worth. I won't be indulging in exhaust anytime soon but if I do, I would leave the resonator in place at first.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I seem to feel the urge to spend more money after seeing reading this!

Welding seems like the better method, I was told some tips clamp on or secure in some similar fashion but I don't know about that. Just seems like an exercise in cost cutting I want to avoid. Can anyone reading this vouch for this method?

Just thought I'd throw this in too as it was on my mind V :dunno:
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/Fastest32/08f138d7.jpg

That is all :eek:k3:

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I seem to feel the urge to spend more money after seeing reading this!

Welding seems like the better method, I was told some tips clamp on or secure in some similar fashion but I don't know about that. Just seems like an exercise in cost cutting I want to avoid. Can anyone reading this vouch for this method?

Just thought I'd throw this in too as it was on my mind V :dunno:
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu22/Fastest32/08f138d7.jpg

That is all :eek:k3:
I only have experience with the one set of tips that I put on my 2012 (the ones from Walmart - they are "Pilot" brand). They are the "bolt on" type and I've not had a single issue with them and they've been on for a few years. However, I have the smaller diameter versions. I do that people were having issues with the larger diameter versions from Walmart becoming loose.

So I guess the answer is "it depends". :) Some are obviously better than others at staying put. Size and weight probably has something to do with it to. A lot of factors.

Also, the ones that I got from Walmart had ugly "frankenstein" bolts that looked bad. Another member found replacement bolts that are completely invisible and those are what I used (were under 50 cents each). So you definitely do have to be careful with the bolt-on versions - but they can be very secure.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I only have experience with the one set of tips that I put on my 2012 (the ones from Walmart - they are "Pilot" brand). They are the "bolt on" type and I've not had a single issue with them and they've been on for a few years. However, I have the smaller diameter versions. I do that people were having issues with the larger diameter versions from Walmart becoming loose.

So I guess the answer is "it depends". :) Some are obviously better than others at staying put. Size and weight probably has something to do with it to. A lot of factors.

Also, the ones that I got from Walmart had ugly "frankenstein" bolts that looked bad. Another member found replacement bolts that are completely invisible and those are what I used (were under 50 cents each). So you definitely do have to be careful with the bolt-on versions - but they can be very secure.

Right, Just wanted to keep it brief to avoid hijacking WickedGoat's thread, lol. Now I see how generic the question was. But yeah, I can't believe I never thought about how the bolts might look (Ref. your Frankenstein bolt comment). Especially considering how much I care about how my car looks to me, I know I'm not alone with this but even if I am the only one who will ever see something visually wrong with my car it still bothers me.

I looked up the bolt-on type and found ones probably similar to what you have, Not bad! definitely a method I'll consider. The price will be the deciding factor as to weather I get them welded or not. I have four exhaust tips so I'd be curious to see how much it would cost, shouldn't be too crazy. Oh well cross that bridge when I come to it I guess.

Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Don't worry about thread jacking... Ask all the questions you want...

As far as clamp on versus welded on goes... With welding, you have to get the alignment right the first time. The guy doing mine had me back there guiding and approving the final position. With clamp ons you can adjust it infinitely to your heart's content. With the bolts, you can always buy a slip on tip and then buy a lap joint band clamp to secure it. You can spin the clamp so the bolt is at the top and it should be fairly hidden.

Even if I didn't have a pair of tips sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I would have gone and bought some. I always manage to look at them at the parts stores. My local Walmart just started carrying the tips that @jtrosky mentions. Sadly, I have caught myself walking to the back of my car for no other reason than to admire them... Pathetic, I know...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Don't worry about thread jacking... Ask all the questions you want...

As far as clamp on versus welded on goes... With welding, you have to get the alignment right the first time. The guy doing mine had me back there guiding and approving the final position. With clamp ons you can adjust it infinitely to your heart's content. With the bolts, you can always buy a slip on tip and then buy a lap joint band clamp to secure it. You can spin the clamp so the bolt is at the top and it should be fairly hidden.

Even if I didn't have a pair of tips sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I would have gone and bought some. I always manage to look at them at the parts stores. My local Walmart just started carrying the tips that @jtrosky mentions. Sadly, I have caught myself walking to the back of my car for no other reason than to admire them... Pathetic, I know...
No, not pathetic at all, it's just natural! I still do the exact same thing even this long after I got my new exhaust system. I've even went a step further! Here's a quote from one of my threads about my car: "I have spent time keeling on the ground behind my car to listen to it. (holding my breath of course!) I wonder how many people have walked by me wondering why I smell like car exhaust". Me and 04Imp38 have done the same thing! Every time I see my car that's the first place I look! I practically stare at it. And the amount of pictures I've taken...I don't think there's another angle I could take of the exhaust without positioning myself under the body of the car.

Anyways thanks for the advice about the tips, this will be good to keep in mind for the future. Come to think about it the guys that installed my exhaust told me they had a selection of tips I could look at! I love the work they did so I'll have to see what they have to offer. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So today was maintenance day... Changed the oil and did a transmission drain and fill. AutoZone had a good sale on oil and filter combos and Castrol synthetic blend Dex 6 was a $1 off on quart bottles.... So I bought 6 quarts of Dex 6 and 6 quarts of STP full synthetic Dexos oil and am STP extended service filter... Hey, I'm on a budget right now and I have used the STP in my Yukon with no problems. At $33 for a filter and 6 qts of synthetic, I'm good. The Castrol was $7.17 a bottle and I bought 6.

I did the oil first and then the trans. Drained almost 6 qts of oil and just over 5 on the trans. At first I had my car on ramps when I drained the trans... Only 4 qts came out. Backed it down off the ramps and got the additional out. Took it for a quick run afterwards and it felt good. It'll get 450 miles on it this week so we'll see how it feels.

One thing to note... I removed the oil cap and there was some white "stuff" around the cap area... Not alot, but enough that I may move the catch can up on the priority list. The oil was fairly dirty for having low miles on it and it was changed at the dealership before I bought it. I am assuming it was synthetic blend oil as they haven't switched over to Delco full synthetic. We'll see what the STP does for the next 4-5000 highway miles.

I may turn around and do the trans drain and fill again in a month and then let the dealer service it at 60,000 miles. I'm at 35,692 on it now. Hopefully in the next couple of months I can tint the tail lights, dip or paint the Chevy bow ties black and order my speakers, wiring and back up cam and get the ball rolling on that. I'd like to clean the undercarriage real good one day as well.

Reactions: 04Imp38

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maintenance day is coming for me soon. Needs a oil change and I'll probably change the plugs and wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have to change my oil too. I'm at 28% right now.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So I've got a week and a day on the fluid changes... Car feels smoother, got 451 miles out of this tank of gas, and MPG seems to have inched up a tad. Don't know if this unusually warm weather has had any effect on that or not but I'll take it. Definitely gonna do the trans again in a few weeks to get more of the old fluid out. I need to check the trans fluid again when I get to work tomorrow just to make sure it is filled right.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Been a while since I have done anything to the car... Fear not for I have a couple of things in the pipeline... Ordered my Polk Audio DB6502 front components and DB692 rear 6x9s. Due for another oil change which I will get to this weekend as I have a road trip to St. Louis coming up. Got PlastiDip for the bowties and I need to get some sandpaper, VHT or Rust-Oleum and have at it with the tail lights. I need to order amp wiring and a sound processor but I got the ball rolling.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Update... Did a Mobil 1 oil change not too long ago... Almost ready for the next scheduled oil change. I am going to buy another 5 quarts of Castrol Dex 6 trans fluid and do another drain and fill. I still have 2/3s of a bottle left from the last drain so no need to blow $8 on another bottle. Will rotate the tires this time around.

Stereo system install is going to start shortly. I have amp wiring and the only thing I need is a back up cam... Will order that next week. I am mounting the amps under the front seats so I am going to this in stages. Probably pull the rear seat and get the 6x9s in and some sound mat... Run the speaker wires and sub wire to the front seats and put it back together. Then I am going to remove the front seats and mount the amps, distribution block, run RCA cables, yada yada... I am going to pull the A pillars and figure out what I want to do with mounting the tweeters... Hide them behind the grill or expose them. It will come together slowly.

I have Plasti dip and need to buy lens tint for those projects... I need TIME!!!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Forgot... I need to get my strut tower braces over to the shop to get blasted and coated so I can install them. They have been sitting forever collecting dust and need to get done.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Typical problem - if you have the money to do things, you don't have the time. If you have the time, you don't have the money... :)

FYI - I called a local stereo shop a week or two ago to get some ballpark pricing on sound-deadener installation (just front doors and rear deck). They wanted $80/hr + materials. It would cost me $500 plus!!! Guess I'm just going to have to do it myself - I refuse to pay someone $80/hr to install deadener - especially since you need to remove the rear seat to get to the rear deck. The labor charges would be crazy...

But man do I want to get it done. I really like the way the "Rock" preset sounds on the Rosen 1010, but at anything above low volumes, my Pioneer D-Series just cause too many vibrations - especially on the rear deck!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 115 Posts