Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 77 impala that I owned for a year now. It's a 305 But ever since I had it I always press the pedal one or two times most to start it. It would start up without doing that alot of times though. So yesterday I drove while it was snowing and my hoodscoop was open. But I put it on after about 10mins of driving.. And had no problems at all. So then this morning I goto my car and I tried to start it. But it didn't start so pressed the pedal and it started. I noticed while driving it was idling low but figured it was still cold so kept driving but when I pressed the pedal it stuttered to go. It felt like it was about to die out but it didnt. So I kept driving and it happened about 2 more times. I pulled over and shut off my car for about 10 mins but when It wouldn't start back up. I got a jump that did nothing. So I checked my wires and plugs and my plugs look rusty from getting wet.i then went to start car up again and it started but wen I put it in drive it stuttered and died out. This happened more times so I called tow truck to get towed.. What should I start with checking I was thinkin the fuel pump was bad. Any ideas or has this happened to anyone before???

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Hello and welcome to the community. First we need to figure out if this is ignition (spark) or fuel related. Here is what I would do, first take off the air cleaner and with the key off and put a screw driver in the top of the carb to hold the choke open move the throttle by hand. While doing that look into the carb and see if it squirts fuel, do this one or two times. Now pull out the screw driver and see if the choke plates close up almost all the way, if it does both then that is great. If not then you may have low fuel pressure or a carb that is worn out. Now also after you put the air cleaner back on pull one of the plug wires and attach an old plug on it, or new if needed and lay the plug on top of the engine where the threads are touching metal,and have a helper crank the engine while you look to see if a spark jumps across the gap. If no spark jumps after a few tries then remove the distributor cap and rotor bug and you will see the ignition module. Remove it and have your local auto parts store check and see if it has failed on you.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask more questions for several of us here on this forum either have these series of Impalas or have general knowledge that will be of value to you.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Cheap gas, dirty fuel filter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts