Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 with a 3.4 ohv engine, and I'm trying to bleed the cooling system, but the only bleeder I can find isn't like the one I hear described (or illustrated on parts pages). There's no little hole on the side with a screw to open it, just a hex-head screw that comes completely out, releasing a fountain of coolant that drenches the engine. And I have to turn the motor off to put it back in! The hole isn't big enough to install the replacement parts I see. I'm stumped big time! :gaah:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bleed

I know on my brothers lincoln, it has the hex head for the bleeder. Did you try just cracking it so air can escape, not take it all the way off.

Jeff

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It should vent as soon as you loosen it, if not, it's probably clogged. Worst case scenario, somebody broke it and replaced it with a regular screw.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
There are other methods of bleeding the cooling system other than the valve. This is not the preferred way but, I have never used a bleeder valve and have never had issues with this method:

1. Start car with cap off or take off after car is started
2. Squeeze each radiator hose with both hands and try to work the coolant around
3. Refill rad and overflow to appropriate mark
4. Let warm up to 180-200deg or so (when thermostat opens)
5. Squeeze radiator hoses again
6. Refill if necessary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts