Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Chevy Impala, every morning when I start my car, my Low Coolant Light comes on and stays on until the engine warms up. It only comes on when the engine is cold. What could be wrong?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one of two things...the easy one can be if recovery tank is low...then radiator has all the coolant in it when you start it so you need to fill recovery tank to the full when cold line on tank...the other possible problem is the low coolant sensor is bad...but they usually come on and off at different times or stay on....when recovery tank is low however...the radiator has all the coolant in it on cold start as it has returned to it from tank whilee engine cooled from last use...then as radiator heats up the coolant expands causing the radiator cap to adjust the level by allowing enough to escape into recovery tank to relieve pressure..that is why cap has a specific pressure rating to it.....the fluid from radiator then satisfies the low tank and turns light out...worst case on them is if it is not either one of these...then the BCM...or body control module is bad...not wanting it to be that..they are expensive

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check coolant level and consider replacing thermostat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts