Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '97 bonneville has been stalling lately and it seems to only happen when my gas gets down to 1/4 tank or less, usually upon initial acceleration. i had this problem once before, and i found a hole in the top of my charcoal canister. i fixed it, and that solved my problem. 2 months later i am having the same problem but my canister appears to be in good condition. I'm thinking the problem is with my fuel lines, or the condition of my fuel tank, or fuel pump. When it stalls, it almost feels like there's a vacuum leak, but all my vacuum lines are in excellent condition. the only vacuum line i can't completely see, is the one that goes from the canister to the gas tank.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An inaccurate fuel level sensor will lead you to believe you have 1/4 tank remaining when in fact the tank is nearly empty. This is an ongoing problem with older Gm vehicles. You need to do a resistance sweep of the fuel level sensor with the fuel module removed from the tank. Use a fuel pressure gauge to determine if fuel pressure is present at the fuel rail when the engine stalls. "Trash in the tank" is not an issue, because contrary to popular belief: the fuel pump ALWAYS pulls fuel from the very bottom of the tank, therefore if there was junk in the tank, you would have this problem much more often, not just when the gauge reads 1/4. Good luck

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just an idea, our taurus did that when we went on a hill cause the gas was too far from the fuel pump

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds as though you have trash in your tank.That would explain why it only happens at 1/4 tank.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The easiest & least expensive way to start trouble-shooting is to replace your gas filter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts