Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1987 chevy caprice 305 v8 5.0 carbuetor and if its cold or hot i have to give it a lil gas then turn the key for it to start? also when it does start the engine idles really high and after a 4min i have to press down on the gas pedal and release it so the idle goes back to normal and the engine sounds ok i really hate doin that what do u think the problem is?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is how old-fashioned carbuerated engines work. The high idle is the spring-choke . Pressing down on the gas the first time sets it and the second time releases it. Modern cars have com-puter controlled fuel injection with solenoids that take care of all of this stuff you have to do with your foot

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not a problem. it's not fuel injection, so you'll have to give it a little gas to start, and then the choke comes on. It's sounds perfectly normal to me for a non injected car.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this isnt a problem. pushing the gas down sets the choke for a cold start and gives a shot of gas into the carb. this is how the old skools work! when it is idling high that's because the choke is on, when you give the gas a push it releases it and goes back to normal rpm's

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this isnt a problem. pushing the gas down sets the choke for a cold start and gives a shot of gas into the carb. this is how the old skools work! when it is idling high that's because the choke is on, when you give the gas a push it releases it and goes back to normal rpm's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regards to your Car

Hello I am from Mora,Mn and I believe you are dealing with an high idle issue,where it's going to have to be adjusted,and I work on cars for people on the side. Feel free to call me at 1-320-209-2167 Brendan

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Hello I am from Mora,Mn and I believe you are dealing with an high idle issue,where it's going to have to be adjusted,and I work on cars for people on the side. Feel free to call me at 1-320-209-2167 Brendan
Brendan, you do realize this thread is over 2 and 1/2 years old? BTW welcome to the community.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont have a problem with traveling,ps also cold starts with these old cars require you to press the pedal to reset the idle,once it starts to warm up. my cell is also 612-369-8434 Brendan

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
So.....are you going to travel back in time 2 1/2 years....?...lol

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Please post a write-up for this time machine as I think all of us would LOVE to drop one into our Imps.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
If anybody in MI has already built one, I would gladly pay for your gas, or titananium fuel expense, to time travel to my home and help me build one too. There is a decent spot nearby where you can easily achieve the required 88 MPH ignite.

Todd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts