Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, any help on this is appreciated.

Ive moved to the middle east in Dubai just recently and bought an Impala SS 96. Im 99% sure its an impala and not a converted 9c1 since all the impala emblems are in the right place. For instance the impala signs on the sides, the rare, the backseats,etc. However, im still confused about the Caprice SS mentioned on the fenders. I have checked various impala 96 and they all have Impala SS on their fenders. How come?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
The "Impala" logo is supposedly considered taboo or some sort of bad thing there that is why we supplied them "Caprice ss" instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "Impala" logo is supposedly considered taboo or some sort of bad thing there that is why we supplied them "Caprice ss" instead.
Thats the oddest taboo ive ever heard. Infact the group of people here that do own an Impala prefer to call it an Impala and not a Caprice. No offense to anyone who owns a 9c1 but telling people that i drive a Caprice 96 is sorta like an embarassment. Not sure why but i guess its because of the NY yellow cabs. Mhhh might consider removing the Caprice SS and replace it with Impala SS. And other than the Caprice logo is there any other changes before they were shipped?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. A badge is just a badge. I personally have raced many a 9c1 stock against a ss stock and the 9c1 pulled ahead everytime..... Mind you I have seen more B-bodies than most people have as well as worked on more than most people have. Again to each his own, my car is badged Caprice-SS and I would never badge it impala-SS.

Many of the remaining impala's left on the road owe it to the caprice that donated the parts GM no longer makes. Ponder that a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. A badge is just a badge. I personally have raced many a 9c1 stock against a ss stock and the 9c1 pulled ahead everytime..... Mind you I have seen more B-bodies than most people have as well as worked on more than most people have. Again to each his own, my car is badged Caprice-SS and I would never badge it impala-SS.

Many of the remaining impala's left on the road owe it to the caprice that donated the parts GM no longer makes. Ponder that a while.
its not that i have anything against a caprice. Even though the impala ss do owe it to the caprice.Id say Impalas are more like improved versions. They even look better specially with the 17''wheels and the spoilers and the other modifications. And since the SS are most wanted and most of all rare its one of the reason i prefer to call it an Impala SS. I didnt just buy it for the ride i bought it for the name too. Like you said everyone has their own opinion. :smile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
its because IMPALA sounds too similiar to ALLAH, and in the muslim religion they do not use religious symbols or figures or something like that so instead of not selling any cars in the middle east GM rebadged them Caprice SS's

on the other topic, there's nothing wrong with a 9c1, they might be faster hell maybe even handle better, but id rather have leather seats, carpet, 17's, grill, spoiler, cd player ect. And I do get offended when some one calls my Impala a caprice

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
almost ALL of which were factory options for a Caprice. Again its just a matter of opinion and preference. Happy holidays all

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
owned a couple of caprices ..... and would never call my caprices impalas 1st impalas were way more expensive and 9c1s werent aloud to the public for multiple reasons....... every real caprice / impala owner gives much respect to a real impala and not a clone ......... i would never discrace an impala and call it a caprice lmao ...... although i wouldnt mind having the caprice ss badging on my 9c1 :biggrin:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im joining this conversation and Im on the side of an ImpalaSS. I think there is 2 reasons for calling a Caprice SS. 1ft I think its a code for GM. If you go on Mitchell1 you can see when you select 1995 year model CapriceImpalaSS and I already heard from a retired mechanic of GM saying a Caprice SS to identify an Impala SS. It think Its just the way to describe an Impala: It is a Caprice High Performance... They'Re saying Caprice because they got sold in a lot more quantity than impalas...

On the other hand I would't spit on a 9C1... One of my teacher at school told me that I already talked with an undercover cop 'Cause they took the 9C1 to the dealer 'cause the car had a problem at high speed... And the cop told my teacher back then: ''The only bunch of cars that have the 5.7L engines are the undercover, all the regulars police cars are 4.3L... because the cops would get killed or seriously injured with those machines, they're to powerful!!! So I do respect 9c1 'cause even the cops today says that the Crown Victorias Police Interceptors are not even close from the performances of a Caprice 9C1...

But still, I like better to hear that i drive an Impala SS, and the SS is really important here, rather than a Caprice SS... I paid for an Impala and I would have been really disapointed to know that i would have bought a clone Impala based on a Caprice... I think that is another fact of the Caprice SS calling... throught years many people have dressed up Caprices into Impalas and reselling them twice the price they bought them... So today how can you be sure you buy a true Impala SS? If you buy it directly from the first owner, youre fine, but if you're the seventh owner... make a lot of research... a trick: CALL A GM DEALER... you give the the VIN and they know if its an original Impala SS or Caprice... again, if the VIN is the original one... :S

I SAY B-BODIES LONG LIVE!!! But i think The Impala SS caries an image so important for people than the Caprice does... Thats why Impala SS worth more than 9C1...

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The "Impala" name had no brand history in the middle east so they sold the SAME EXACT FRIGGIN CAR as a Caprice SS. Simple as that. The Caprice SS sold in the middle east had all the deer logos too just was called Caprice SS.

Those of you up on high horses over the Impala vs. Caprice thing, go straight to hell, you are the scum ruining this country with your "image is everything substance means nothing" attitude. It is the same car get over it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I second that... I own a 95 caprice and there's nothing I can't stand more is a caprice impala wanna b.. I drive the lesser car and I don't mind saying that.LMAO. But it is what it is...

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
9c1s werent aloud to the public for multiple reasons.......
Where did you hear that? Back in 93 I knew an officer that was driving a 9C1 and he told me I could order one from the local Chevy dealer. I have read where many people did order the 9C1 version of the Caprice.

Only recently have I heard that GM does not plan on selling a newer version of their cop type fleet to the general public.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ya ya

Image is every thing for some.To each his owne.I like them in either configuration.I chose a 9C1
GVW=SS 4400 LBS.
GVW=9C1 3860 LBS.
Dont get me wrong I like to have pretty toys.But on a drivers standpoint the caprice is were its at.Tires are cheaper, the weight differance is with out dout the winner on the road miles wise.
Ins. is cheaper.
I really did not want to by some thing I was afraid to drive.
So as most Impala owners stare at their cars in the garage and drive them on acations.I roll my bbody out EVERY DAY.The way its supossed to be,when you owne cars that are as road worthy as owers (B-Bodys).
And like Mr.Bates said a 9C1 will walk an Impala SS every time stock for stock.
The CORE of your Impala is a caprice.......Visualy your Impala appeals to a larger crowd.......Thats why I dont like crowds!
And for the record,my title says (Caprice/Impala SS)<<I say Caprice...80% of the peeps that see it say nice IMPALA bro go figure.There are so many Impala owners out there that DRIVE Caprices and dont know it roflmao.Dont hate...educate!

95 9C1 020.JPG

·
Registered
22 Posts
GVW on the door states 3860.From the factory.Must have been a fat dude in the cars you seen.
MINE IS NOT STOCK
When I whent to register it in mass,The tester said there was a problem........The gas mileage was to high.GVW was off and it makes far more HP than a stock LT-1.
I had to block a vaccum hose or two to pass.
And it was not easy getting my car to 3680.
I have seen 9C1s with a GVW of up to 4200 LBS. 1994-1996.
Because you have never see it means ("YOU" HAVE NEVER SEEN IT)

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Here are a few example of the problems my 9C1 will never have that the impala TRIM PACKAGE WILL have...

I will never have:

A car that wont start due to a "pass key" malfunction.

A problem with my headlights or tail lights because the "Twilight Sentinel" module decided to take a dump.

My long lasting cloth interior will never crack and split like the cheap leather in the impala.

I will never have to worry about a power antenna not working and staying stuck in the up/down position.

I will never have to reach into my glove box to open the trunk or try to use a key fob that falls apart over time and has little to no original replacement left.

I will never have to worry about the courtesy lights at the edge of the door panel breaking/melting or falling off.

I will never have to pay over $100 for a single 17" tire.

I willl never have to worry about my 17" wheels looking like crap when the clear coat peels or when the center caps get lost or stolen.

I will never have to slow at a speed bump or dip driving into my driveway.

If I have to I can go off road,hop a curb or do pretty much whatever is needed to avoid an obstacle without worrying too much about clearance.

For the price of a beat up impala, I can highly modify a caprice and not worry about someone stealing it because it can be a total sleeper......you guys remember the true meaning of a sleeper? If your local we can set up a run and prove some of my theories:biggrin:

Before you guys start yapping all the hate, these are just MY reasons for always choosing a 9C1 over a impala trim package. They are both comfortable,fast and reliable. Every car has issues, but to me and my way of life personally, the 9C1 is more useful. Let the hazing begin....

·
Registered
22 Posts
All bow to the SS option.LOL.
Like I said,I like them in any configuration.Even the L99 cars.
And clearly the true SS optioned cars are more desirerable.
Im not here to hate.
But when people say they get offended cause some one call your Impala a Caprice.......Get over it!Or at least educate,read the story behind the first Darth Vader 1994 Impala SS that was made......its an optioned caprice.
That is fact.....+++ George choice is every thing and true sleepers rule in my book.
When a ricer and an Impala pull up to a light,the ricer says to them self Im gonna give him a run for the money...then gets smoked......When a ricer pulls up to light and sees my caprice they say Im gonna.......and the sentance never gets finished as they watch my chevy violantly catch 2nd lol and put 100 feet between us.I have seen many imports smashing their steering wheel in despear and disbelife.Te He He.And the fact that their $30,000 import just got spanked by a 1995 caprice makes it even sweeter........Scrip flip.Lets go back to 1996.Take a 9C1 and an Impala SS off the line in Texas.Now remove the body and interiorer of both and pop off the steering wheels and all four rims from both....The only way to tell them apart at that point was to count the body mounts.The 9C1 has two more than the SS!

Sorry for rantin,I know this is the "Impala SS" fourum.
Ill delete my profile now...and just go to the other site.
:lurk:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts