Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the few modifications I have made to the car so far include winter wipers. However, in heavy snow the cowl area still build up with snow and the wipers soon freeze to the windshield.

I think all cars with the wipers that park below the defroster have this problem. If the car makers really did test in cold climates, they would have realized this would happen.

Some car makers, such as Subaru, put an electric defroster where the wipers park. That seems to cure the problem.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
GM expects us to free the wipers when we remove the snow/ice off of the windshield.

·
Banned
748 Posts
GM expects us to free the wipers when we remove the snow/ice off of the windshield.
Not a wise idea because if they are frozen stuck to the window you will end up removing the rubber off the wiper blade.

Hate the fact that wipers freeze that's another impact of cold weather on cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Out of 22 years of driving I have only done that once and that was this year on my van.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
take and place a foam coffee cub under the arms of the wipers and it will hold the blades off the windshield. Works every time and they are cheap and reusable. :eek:k3: anything plastic can be put under the wiper arms really.

·
Banned
748 Posts
take and place a foam coffee cub under the arms of the wipers and it will hold the blades off the windshield. Works every time and they are cheap and reusable. :eek:k3: anything plastic can be put under the wiper arms really.
Coffee what now ? a Cub ? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
i messed up my left wiper at the left edge, was very annoying on my 3 hour trip. i was think of a way to keep the wipers up on mine. im gonna use the cup idea. i suppose you could even cut the cup down a few inches instead of folding it

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
i messed up my left wiper at the left edge, was very annoying on my 3 hour trip. i was think of a way to keep the wipers up on mine. im gonna use the cup idea. i suppose you could even cut the cup down a few inches instead of folding it
or a plastic spray paint can lid?

·
Banned
748 Posts
I think you guys are going to ruin the pressure of wiper blades on the window because cups will add to the thickness of the blades and overtime your springs will adjust to have pressure with the cup and not without the cups.

I think best bet is to just lift the blades up complete when parking if that worried about sticky arms.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
Just poor some hot water on the glass when it freezes. Instant defrost. Guarantee you wont have to worry about the wipers freezing again.:eek:k3:

Reactions: SCOTTYINWV

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I think you guys are going to ruin the pressure of wiper blades on the window because cups will add to the thickness of the blades and overtime your springs will adjust to have pressure with the cup and not without the cups.

I think best bet is to just lift the blades up complete when parking if that worried about sticky arms.
7th gen arms don't lift up :eek:k3:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

yea the 7th gen arms will not lift more than a few inches. makes it a little tough.

·
Banned
748 Posts
yea the 7th gen arms will not lift more than a few inches. makes it a little tough.
Well sucks to be the owner of 7th gens than.. so how the hell you change wiper blades on those :biggrin:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Well sucks to be the owner of 7th gens than.. so how the hell you change wiper blades on those :biggrin:
with your hands :beer:

·
Banned
748 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,791 Posts
Guess you you should have gone with the heated wipers option :idea:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
turn off the motor when the wipers are in the up position .
they still don't fold all the way out and stick out off the windshield

1 - 20 of 52 Posts