Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I always have a full tank of gas? (most of the time)
My fuel guage is broken. It has worked once since I bought the car, the second tank of gas. The car is an '04 LS w/40k. It sat in a garage for a little while before I bought it. Any suggestions? I purchased a warranty when I bought the car, but is has a $100 deductible. Is this an easy fix? I tired of using the trip setting on the odometer so I dont run out of gas......:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
It may be worth paying the 100 to let the dealer chase this one out. It may be the sending unit in the tank or a short in the wire to the fuel gage. Either way inorder to test you would have to drop the fuel tank unless there is a panel in the trunk to access the pump unit. How good with a DVM are you? If you can use one and have the time to chase this you can do it yourself. If you have to drop the fuel tank that normally is not fun if it has more than 1/4 of fuel in it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
floating gas tank? I have the same problem. If im going up hill then I got a full tank, but if im going down hill I have an empty tank (pending how much gas is in the tank). Its a pain in the ass and I only know how much gas I have when I start the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah i have the same prob it started like 4 months ago. once i get passed half a tank the gauge just starts floatin all over the place. when i start the car or come to a complete stop it gives me a good gas reading, so i haven't run outta gas yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im actually having the same exact problem on my 02 ls. you would think if this happens to so many of us that chevy would make it a recall or something. i just hope its not an expensive fix

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why do I always have a full tank of gas? (most of the time)
My fuel guage is broken. It has worked once since I bought the car, the second tank of gas. The car is an '04 LS w/40k. It sat in a garage for a little while before I bought it. Any suggestions? I purchased a warranty when I bought the car, but is has a $100 deductible. Is this an easy fix? I tired of using the trip setting on the odometer so I dont run out of gas......:confused:
IIRC , the fuel level sensor unit is over $100, so i'd say pay the deductible and let them fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts