Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick ISS question. When I bought my 2006 Impala, I had the bad ISS problem, and brought it to mechanic for repair. At the time (this was 2009), I didn't know about the white grease solution sprayed into the ISS. Mechanic said I needed to replace it, and charged me over $400 for the new ISS.

This year, I bought a second, 2007 Impala. It had the same ISS problem. This time, however, I learned about the white grease solution, and went ahead and sprayed it in there. AMAZING DIFFERENCE! The steering went from loose, clunky, and all around terrible to super tight, silent, and perfect. Believe it or not, with the grease solution, the steering on my 07 Impala is actually noticeably better than the steering on my 06 Impala that had the ISS replaced. The steering on the 06 Impala with new ISS is acceptable, but definitely you notice it is better on the 07 Impala with white grease solution.

So my question is this: with 06 Impala with the replaced ISS, would it be a good idea to spray the white grease on that one too, in hopes of getting the tightness of the steering on par with the 2007 Impala's ISS? I guess it's possible that the mechanic who put the new ISS in the 2006 Impala didn't tighten it enough or something, in which case the white grease wouldn't make much difference. What do you guys think?

:icon_jook:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. You don't have to remove anything...just lift up the boot covering the ISS beneath the steering column, get some white lithium grease, and spray it in the hole. The hole is a little hard to see...grab a flashlight and you will need a red straw to attach to the grease can so you can spray it in the proper place.

PS - lifting the boot is literally just lifting it up with your hand and exposing the ISS. Search for the issue on Youtube...there is a guy who gives a great demonstration of the fix.

Cool, I guess applying the grease to the new ISS wouldn't hurt anything, so I will try it.

BTW, the check engine light came on today on the 07 Impala, which is just shy of 70k. I haven't checked yet, but bet anything it is the EVAP solenoid again. I had this issue on my 06 Impala, also right around 70-80k. This is another really common issue with 8th generation Impalas and, based on my experience, the EVAP solenoid seems to start to fail right around 70k.

Luckily the EVAP solenoid issue is an easy fix, too.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I don't see a reason not to. No harm will be caused so, go for it. What is this white grease? Must be white lithium?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Amazing how many cars have problems with intermediate shaft tightness. I guess all the manufacturers design them to fail just out of warranty.

White lithium is great. I also spray it on the door hinges and latches too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts