Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a whistle that seems to be coming through the sunroof. Is there any adjustment on it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
So I have a whistle that seems to be coming through the sunroof. Is there any adjustment on it??

I have a 2014 Impala 2LTZ with the sunroof.

I live in the Midwest - each Spring and Fall, I pick a warm day and apply silicone dielectric grease to the (opened) sunroof gaskets, using my finger to apply it. After waiting about an hour, I use a cotton cloth to wipe the excess of and smooth any missed areas.

I have never had a leak or a whistle. You may want to try applying the silicone dielectric grease before you try adjusting the panel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I push up on the passenger side it goes away. Also in the Midwest here. Iowa!

May give it a shot. I have never had a sunroof whistle like this!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If I push up on the passenger side it goes away. Also in the Midwest here. Iowa!

May give it a shot. I have never had a sunroof whistle like this!

After thinking - I recall a relative that had a 2006 Saturn Vue with the factory, power sunroof. It made a noise and we examined it. From the outside, the closed sunroof was not flush and seemed to dip slightly on one side.

With the sunshade open, sunroof closed - there were several Torx screws that were visible. One or more (can’t recall) were loose. I had my relative slightly push up the inside of the sunroof, while tightening the screws. That made the sunroof flush on the outside and eliminated the noise.

Here is a link to a GM TSB to repair the sunshade on the 9th generation Impala. It has illustrations that may help you locate fasteners: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10070905-9133.pdf

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here is a short vid of the sound

·
Registered
7 Posts

Here is a short vid of the sound

I just viewed and listened to the video. There is something not sealed. That would bug me too.

Others should Download and Listen. Not sure where it's coming from.

Michael

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is super annoying!!! I think tomorrow I’m going to dig in and see what I can find!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can confirm, I've installed and flushed many sunroof assemblies on the line.

Just loosen the torx screws, adjust the glass in the desired position and retighten the screws. Might help to have someone looking at the top to make sure the glass is still relatively flush.

I also recommend cleaning the gasket and the area the gasket touches in the roof, as well as applying something to keep the gasket from aging.

After thinking - I recall a relative that had a 2006 Saturn Vue with the factory, power sunroof. It made a noise and we examined it. From the outside, the closed sunroof was not flush and seemed to dip slightly on one side.

With the sunshade open, sunroof closed - there were several Torx screws that were visible. One or more (can’t recall) were loose. I had my relative slightly push up the inside of the sunroof, while tightening the screws. That made the sunroof flush on the outside and eliminated the noise.

Here is a link to a GM TSB to repair the sunshade on the 9th generation Impala. It has illustrations that may help you locate fasteners: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/SB-10070905-9133.pdf

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are the toes screws? If this fixes it I will be forever thankful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where are the toes screws? If this fixes it I will be forever thankful!

I just went and looked, these are a little different than the cars we build at my plant, but it should work.

There's a thick foam strip that runs around the inside just beneath the sunroof. It has three small divots in it on both the left and the right. Push the foam down at these divots and you'll see the torx screws behind the foam.

The two outermost screws should be what you're after on each side, the black ones. The center green colored screws aren't on the cars we build so I don't know what those do or if they need to be loosened as well.

Just back the screws off, no need to take them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts