Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2003 Impala LS and when I got them they worked fine; going into the little slot afterwards and everything. Then some snow and ice came and I had to get it off the car to drive of course and I got most of it off.

When I was on my way back from school (where I went) there was some ice I hadn't really noticed that was under my wipers and I tried to start it up again and this forced the motors of the wipers to go against the ice and therefore not function 'normally'.

After that and all the snow and ice was gone; great. I had to use the wipers again and it worked fine...until I tried to stop them and have them retract. It went to the bottom of the windshield, then came back up and stopped right in the middle and stayed there; that's the problem.

The only way I've found to 'compensate' is to start the wipers moving and then quickly hit the retract switch half-way into them moving and this makes them go to the bottom and stay there. It still doesn't go back into the slot like it's supposed to.

I'm not really a 'car guy', so please don't throw stuff at me you think I might not understand. Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
haha, whippers....awesome.:laughing7:

anyways, heres what you do:
1. turn on the car, and make sure the wipers are OFF. it doesnt matter where they are on the windshield, just make sure they are turned off via the switch.
2. turn the car off.
3. pop the covers off the base of the wiper, revealing the nut to hold them onto the wiper drive shaft.
4. loosen that nut you see there.
5. position wipers to proper "stop" position (where they are SUPPOSED to be)
6. tighten the nut back down to 20 ft lbs.
7. put the cover back on the nut.
8. pat yourself on the back because you are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I had suggested that to someone else about a year back and on his when he went to test the repair the wipers went towards the hood and he broke one of the wiper arms.

It seems that one of the gears in the motor had jumped the timing and even though he reset the wiper arms the motor problem was not fixed. On his he had to replace the wiper motor itself.

When you try this repair make sure to have one hand on the key so you can quickly kill the power IF the wiper blades start to go towards the hood instead of up the windshield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, whippers....awesome.:laughing7:

anyways, heres what you do:
1. turn on the car, and make sure the wipers are OFF. it doesnt matter where they are on the windshield, just make sure they are turned off via the switch.
2. turn the car off.
3. pop the covers off the base of the wiper, revealing the nut to hold them onto the wiper drive shaft.
4. loosen that nut you see there.
5. position wipers to proper "stop" position (where they are SUPPOSED to be)
6. tighten the nut back down to 20 ft lbs.
7. put the cover back on the nut.
8. pat yourself on the back because you are awesome.
Hmm, thanks for the help. Although...when you say set the wipers to the proper "stop" position what do you mean by that? I mean there's the place where it stops when it's actually in use and, like I said, the "stop" position of back in the little hole it goes in once you hit the button to stop. It'd be easier to get it into the first position, but the second one might be more challenging.

That last step is nice too XD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had suggested that to someone else about a year back and on his when he went to test the repair the wipers went towards the hood and he broke one of the wiper arms.

It seems that one of the gears in the motor had jumped the timing and even though he reset the wiper arms the motor problem was not fixed. On his he had to replace the wiper motor itself.

When you try this repair make sure to have one hand on the key so you can quickly kill the power IF the wiper blades start to go towards the hood instead of up the windshield.
I'll see if I can make this a 'two-man' job so that I won't have to worry as much. Thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
nothing about this is a two man job. what i mean by the proper stop position is get it seated in the wiper stop, like fully off, then just tighten the nut back down. its very easy to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts