Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Chevy Impala 3.4L. It currently has a blown intake manifold gasket and is undrivable. I cannot drive it out of the driveway before it trys to over heat. However, when I was driving it, it made a REALLY loud squeeling sound. It almost sounded like a belt but it isn't. It does it during take off and sometimes if revved while in park.:WTF: Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I have notice black stuff in my water. It doesn't look like oil though. The water is crystal clear. It is only on the walls of where you put the water into the radiator. One last thing there is now no heat or air conditioning? :bang:
All of this started happening at the same time. :gaah: I am ready to drive it off a cliff at the moment.

If anyone has any suggestions for anything please help!!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Sounds like major things going on. If it is not driveable then, why are you starting it? Starting and revving it is going to cause just as much if not more damage then casually driving it. Sounds like it needs:

1. Full top end rebuild (UIM, LIM gasket, Valve cover gaskets, the fricken works)
2. Coolant flush, replace coolant and t-stat along with coolant temp sensor

Squeeling is likely the power steering pump (air in system or low on fluid), tensioner pulley, water pump, alternator, or possibly just the belt.

First, get the top end done and then worry about squeeling.

Maint is key and if it was done: You wouldn't have black crap in you cooling system/radiator.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The squeal could be a number of things, could be the belt slipping because coolant leaked on it, or it could be a bad idler. Right now your primary focus needs to be replacing the LIM gasket, flushing the cooling system, and changing the oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts