Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm looking to upgrade my braking system. I want to get HAWK HPS brake pads. I have no problem in that decision....This is where it gets complicated: What brand rotors do I get? I've heard great things about the Power Slot rotors with Cryo technology. I was going to get those for the front and just the regular Power Slotted rotors for the rear. Is this ok? I've heard these are even better than Brembo... is that correct? Tirerack.com has the cryo rotors for $132 each for the front and $75 for the rear (non cryo). Has anyone heard of EBC rotors? Those are much cheaper... and I still hear they are good. Another website says Rotora rotors are great...I've called Rotora and they have an answering machine claiming to have phone issues. Can anyone help or recommend something good for me? Also, I want to upgrade my supercharger pulley. I hear going from 3.8" to 3.4" is good? Any comments/ suggestions?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
3.4 is about as small as you can SAFELY go w/o supporting mods, I'd still go w/ atleast cold air intake and 1 range colder plugs + a 180* Tstat and PCM Just to be on the safe side.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. what if I just change the intake? I've been wanting to buy a k&n cold air intake system. I don't really know how to mess with anything else on the car. any comments on the rotors?

·
Registered
416 Posts
ok thanks. what if I just change the intake? I've been wanting to buy a k&n cold air intake system. I don't really know how to mess with anything else on the car. any comments on the rotors?
I went with a JMB performance FWI, it is custom powdercoated and cost me about 100 bucks less than the K&N. It is a sweet intake really brings out the supercharger. Alot of people around have great things to say about R1 Concept rotors thats what I will probably be putting on when I get ready to do mine.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm looking to upgrade my braking system. I want to get HAWK HPS brake pads. I have no problem in that decision....This is where it gets complicated: What brand rotors do I get? I've heard great things about the Power Slot rotors with Cryo technology. I was going to get those for the front and just the regular Power Slotted rotors for the rear. Is this ok? I've heard these are even better than Brembo... is that correct? Tirerack.com has the cryo rotors for $132 each for the front and $75 for the rear (non cryo). Has anyone heard of EBC rotors? Those are much cheaper... and I still hear they are good. Another website says Rotora rotors are great...I've called Rotora and they have an answering machine claiming to have phone issues. Can anyone help or recommend something good for me? Also, I want to upgrade my supercharger pulley. I hear going from 3.8" to 3.4" is good? Any comments/ suggestions?

besides the cold air intake the thermostadt is a very cheap and easy upgrade ( althoughht idk about the install in the fwd cars but in any 350 motor they are easy!!!) ive got either a 180 or 160 i dont remember, and like he said getting ur pcm flashed is cheap and easy also because u leave it to the proffesionals lmao!!!!:cool::eek::biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
besides the cold air intake the thermostadt is a very cheap and easy upgrade ( althoughht idk about the install in the fwd cars but in any 350 motor they are easy!!!) ive got either a 180 or 160 i dont remember, and like he said getting ur pcm flashed is cheap and easy also because u leave it to the proffesionals lmao!!!!:cool::eek::biggrin:

What does PCM stand for exactly? I know I must sound ridiculous but like I said I really don't know much about the engine on my car. I only recently started doing more research on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont need cryo'd rotors.. Powerslots are good rotors. I love the milspec coating. 2yrs and mine look new.
I was told that since I have a lot of weight on my car that Cryo rotors in the front are the best choice especially since its only a 30 dollar difference. Atleast on TireRack.com it is. I also heard Power Stop is great. What do you think? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was told that since I have a lot of weight on my car that Cryo rotors in the front are the best choice especially since its only a 30 dollar difference. Atleast on TireRack.com it is. I also heard Power Stop is great. What do you think? Thanks for your input.
my car weighs more than yours. :) I'd skip the $30 difference and just get the standard powerslot rotors. Follow proper bedin procedure, and you will have good brakes with good pads (like HAWK HPS or ceramics, NOT EBC STUFF)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my car weighs more than yours. :) I'd skip the $30 difference and just get the standard powerslot rotors. Follow proper bedin procedure, and you will have good brakes with good pads (like HAWK HPS or ceramics, NOT EBC STUFF)
lol sounds good. Thanks a lot. I'll stick with the power slots and Hawk HPS pads

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hey, just as I was about to order the Powerslots I came across some rotors called "Royalty Rotors" has anyone ever heard of them? I have seen nothing but good reviews from them. They are drilled and slotted but yet cost $146 for the front pair on AutoAnything.com vs TireRack.com PowerSlot for $101 EACH. Any opinions on these? I saw 2 reviews for impalas that were generally happy with the Royalty Rotors. They will be put with Hawk HPS pads. I can sure use the savings right now! So please HELP!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts