Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off im news to the Impala forums and i wanted to join to learn more about the Chevy Impala.

I want to know which Impala from 2006-2011 is better the 3.5L OR 3.9L??? I want a car that is pretty fast and gets good MPG, the 3.9L looks good at 233HP and gets like 19city almost 20Hwy. I the impala looks good and i want a car that is easy to work on and familiar, since it is a W-Body n i have owned a 07 Grand Prix Base before till we had to sell. I like the Impala cause 1. its chevy, 2. easy to work on (I think), and 3. affordable.

I rented the 2013 Impala and found out that it had a new 3.6 VVT Direct injected 300HP engine and that car hauled ass. Raced it against a new Mini cooper S and beat the crap out of it. So i want the 2012-2013 Impala since they all come with the same engine, only problem its a little too much like 15-16k and i was look for a car under 11k. So the older impala's looked better but not when i looked at its specs. Why is it that the 08 Impala with 3.5 211 HP can do 0-60 in 7.8 while it says (I use Aol autos for the specs and times) the 08 Impala 3.9 233 HP can do it in 8.3? Does the .4L make a difference in weight? Also i saw the 2006 Impala LTZ had 242 HP and then after they went down to 233. So would the 242 HP 3.9 be better? If so its good cause the older car should be cheaper right?

I want to get an Impala SS or the older S/C SS but cant find any around here within 200miles of my location, plus i know the SS LS4 has a weak azz transmission so i kinds don't want it that much as the new V6 300hp. Plus i like the V6 because of better MPG over the V8. So if i cant find the 012,013 Impala with the 3.6 V6 for a cheaper price later on, which Impala should be better the 3.5L or the 3.9? Which one has better Aftermarket Support, which one can i mod to be say as fast as the S/C Impala/Grand Prix or even to keep up with the new Impala. Also is the mods easy to install like the bolt ons and tune and are they worth the price or what? Are there lots of mods and if anything can i T/C it? BTW the Impala will be a DD, so i hope with mods it still can be and good MPG. And are these engines reliable and wont brake on me every day or get leaks and etc.

Sorry if its too long i may have more questions later on but for now i hope you guys can answer all these, and sorry again for the longevity of my ? and Thank you guys in advance. Also i will take care of this car really well, no doubt i want abuse it other than racing it from time to time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been in all 3 (both 6 cylinders and the V8). Best mileage is the 3.5, best power is the V8. 3.9 is in the middle, which I own 2 of, and get about 25 MPG combined on both of them. I can get 30 MPG at the right pace, so your mileage figures will vary with your terrain and right foot.

I had a 08 Grand Prix before the Impala's which my son took care of for us. The 3800 is a fantastic engine. My 3.9 will outrun it, but I have seen some 3.9's act sluggish for some reason. The 3.8 has an initial punch that is not always present in the 3.9, but that may just be engine management.

The Grand Prix hugged the road, the Impala is more luxury and softer. Both are easy to work on in my opinion. I purchased mostly Pontiac's until they went away, now it is Chevy and Ford, so market share for the GM team was lost. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, so you know for sure the 3.9 is faster than the Base Grand prix? I see the only impala i find to be good is the 2012 n 2013 with the 3.6 300HP 6 speed. I think if i cant get one of them ill get the 3.9 LTZ but only the 2006 since i believe thats the only one i see that had 242 HP wheres the new ones got less. People say the 3.9 is still pretty slow and i want to know how slow. Like can it at least do a sprint from 0-60 in like 7.5 secs or lower and do the quarter mile in 15.5 secs or lower?

Also how about aftermarket support? People say tune, exhaust, and intake will really wake up the car, how so? Like can it be faster than a Impala SS S/C or GTP? I really would like to start off with a pretty quick car and im looking for one that can stock already do 0-60 in low 7 sec range or lower, and low 15 sec range in the quart-mile. Could the 3.9 Impala do that?

Also forgot to mention that when buying the impala, used obv, if its a rental should i stay away or take a look and find out if it has been maintained well? We had a GP base that had too many problems since it was a rental:bang:. It was a 2007 n brought it in 08, has dealers inspections changed on rental cars and gotten better now? If i buy impala that was a rental will it be worth it and last me way past 150k miles? Or will it give me problems, and they are pretty cheap on parts right?

Thanks again in advance

Thanks in advance.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
If you can afford, I would go for a 3.6 Impala

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Buy my car lol

honestly if you want fast and reliable i wouldnt look at a 06-11 impala

and the 06 doesnt have more horsepower they just changed the hp rating to certified ones after 06

and my 3.5l impala has gone threw 2 trannys in 95k miles

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
@ Sf9777: I will just advise this to you... I wouldn't beat on these too much, as they are known to have transmission issues - even the older 3800's. The 06-13 (and the 06-09 with the LS4 V8...) all use the same transmission. And even though my '07 has only had 1 previous owner, I just found out Saturday morning (while at the dealer having the oil change done...) that the transmission had bee replaced in my car. Thankfully, the tech was able to recognize it as a GM Certified rebuild and not and aftermarket/junkyard transmission. So while the power on these cars - even the V6's - is decent and can be more with certain mods (exhaust, intake, ect...), you need to keep in mind that it's a lot of pressure on a front-wheel drive system that wasn't built to be hot-rodded and raced with. And not to mention, the torque steer on these FWD's is a bitch and will scare you if your not expecting it. Keep in mind, that more pwoer on these FWD's is more wear and tear on everything in the front end - CV joints, wheel bearings, suspension, you name it.

I was looking at doing some mods to my LS4 V8 like the new cat and exhaust with resonator delete, Doug Thorley headers, CAI, new ECM/TCM, but have decided against a lot of it. For one, it's going to be expensive not only for the parts, but also the labor at getting them in (exhaust heads anyway...). And the 300HP the V8 came with out of the box is more than enough for it to get up out of it's own way and plenty for what I'll ever need. So if your looking for something decent, I'd probably try and find either an older S/C'd 3800 SS, or I'd look at the 3.9 and do a few mods to it to push your HP and power up more.

And since you will be looking to spend decent money on it (and granted, I don't know IF you plan on buying siad car outright or making payments on it...), this would be another reason to not really be beating on it. Like any car, the lower the mileage, the better. But just keep in mind that it has been owned before, and you won't know if the last owner beat the balls off it or not. So if you don't know what to look for when checking out used cars, bring someone who does with you. Taking the car for a little ride will be the initial indicator as to what problems the car may have or will have, so be listening to the car, engine and suspension itself and not cranking the radio. Before you even drive it, check the oil and make sure it don't look like a milkshake (coolant leaking into the oil, bad head gaskets...). Make sure nothing is leaking. Make sure there's no major rot on the farme or that the frame isn't bent anywhere (in an accident before...).

Otherwise, if your looking for something that's more of a hot-rod, I'd look into an older '94-'96 Impala SS with the LT1 and a rear-wheel drive. But if you insist on a newer Impala, then I'd try for either a newer (06 and up...) with the 3.9 in decent shape, fairly low(er) miles. Otherwise, I'd say wait it out and keep an eye out for the S/C'd SS. Again, for what your looking to spend, I'd look for something with as little mileage as possible and in great shape.

IMPORTANT NOTE:Please, do not think that what I'm trying to tell you is coming of as snotty, arrogant or being a dick because I'm not trying to be... I'm simply giving you some insight coming from someone who's made a few bad vehicle mistakes before in the past. DON'T rush into the first thing you come across either. If it's right and meant to be, you'll know it and it'll wind up being the car you'll wind up going home with. I wasn't even looking for my Impala and was looking for another S10. But I found this Impala, it spoke to me, was the right deal, really low miles and a 1-owner car. it was the right one and it was meant to be. So PLEASE again, take this as some freindly advice from someone who's been there and has spent more than enough money on repairs to my past vehicles as a result of said past mistakes.

If it gives you any help and insight, I paid $13,500 for my '07 SS with 59K original on it. And it's in great shape other than the typical parking lot scratches on it - which you'd have to be on top of the car to see them.

Good luck in your search, and post up the new ride when you get it and let us know what you wound up with!
:eek:k3::beer:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Sf9777: I will just advise this to you... I wouldn't beat on these too much, as they are known to have transmission issues - even the older 3800's. The 06-13 (and the 06-09 with the LS4 V8...) all use the same transmission. And even though my '07 has only had 1 previous owner, I just found out Saturday morning (while at the dealer having the oil change done...) that the transmission had bee replaced in my car. Thankfully, the tech was able to recognize it as a GM Certified rebuild and not and aftermarket/junkyard transmission. So while the power on these cars - even the V6's - is decent and can be more with certain mods (exhaust, intake, ect...), you need to keep in mind that it's a lot of pressure on a front-wheel drive system that wasn't built to be hot-rodded and raced with. And not to mention, the torque steer on these FWD's is a bitch and will scare you if your not expecting it. Keep in mind, that more pwoer on these FWD's is more wear and tear on everything in the front end - CV joints, wheel bearings, suspension, you name it.

I was looking at doing some mods to my LS4 V8 like the new cat and exhaust with resonator delete, Doug Thorley headers, CAI, new ECM/TCM, but have decided against a lot of it. For one, it's going to be expensive not only for the parts, but also the labor at getting them in (exhaust heads anyway...). And the 300HP the V8 came with out of the box is more than enough for it to get up out of it's own way and plenty for what I'll ever need. So if your looking for something decent, I'd probably try and find either an older S/C'd 3800 SS, or I'd look at the 3.9 and do a few mods to it to push your HP and power up more.

And since you will be looking to spend decent money on it (and granted, I don't know IF you plan on buying siad car outright or making payments on it...), this would be another reason to not really be beating on it. Like any car, the lower the mileage, the better. But just keep in mind that it has been owned before, and you won't know if the last owner beat the balls off it or not. So if you don't know what to look for when checking out used cars, bring someone who does with you. Taking the car for a little ride will be the initial indicator as to what problems the car may have or will have, so be listening to the car, engine and suspension itself and not cranking the radio. Before you even drive it, check the oil and make sure it don't look like a milkshake (coolant leaking into the oil, bad head gaskets...). Make sure nothing is leaking. Make sure there's no major rot on the farme or that the frame isn't bent anywhere (in an accident before...).

Otherwise, if your looking for something that's more of a hot-rod, I'd look into an older '94-'96 Impala SS with the LT1 and a rear-wheel drive. But if you insist on a newer Impala, then I'd try for either a newer (06 and up...) with the 3.9 in decent shape, fairly low(er) miles. Otherwise, I'd say wait it out and keep an eye out for the S/C'd SS. Again, for what your looking to spend, I'd look for something with as little mileage as possible and in great shape.

IMPORTANT NOTE:Please, do not think that what I'm trying to tell you is coming of as snotty, arrogant or being a dick because I'm not trying to be... I'm simply giving you some insight coming from someone who's made a few bad vehicle mistakes before in the past. DON'T rush into the first thing you come across either. If it's right and meant to be, you'll know it and it'll wind up being the car you'll wind up going home with. I wasn't even looking for my Impala and was looking for another S10. But I found this Impala, it spoke to me, was the right deal, really low miles and a 1-owner car. it was the right one and it was meant to be. So PLEASE again, take this as some freindly advice from someone who's been there and has spent more than enough money on repairs to my past vehicles as a result of said past mistakes.

If it gives you any help and insight, I paid $13,500 for my '07 SS with 59K original on it. And it's in great shape other than the typical parking lot scratches on it - which you'd have to be on top of the car to see them.

Good luck in your search, and post up the new ride when you get it and let us know what you wound up with!
:eek:k3::beer:
2012 and 2013 have a different better 6 speed transmission and the 3.6l 300hp v6

Other than that great info josh!

Yes indeed thanks for all that info, i do know of the weak tranny on these cars and thats why im not wanting the V8 SS or GP GXP. If anything if i find one in really good condition then i will buy it but, im looking for the V6 model for some better MPG. The only time i would "Beat on it" the trany and the car is from time to time like putting on half throttle on the free way to pass or racing someone at the light. BUT NOT ALL THE TIME and not every single second. Only like from time to time every other day, and on some days just cruising and letting the trans run normal and not putting pressure on it. You seem to know a lot on the impala and i am glad to have found you cause if i ever need any help i can ask you. Anyone really on here but since you have gotten through experience on these cars so ya. also the newer 2012-2013 impala has a new 6 speed Auto that i think is stronger than the week Tranny on the other W-Bodys.

SO if i cant find the 3.6 Impala with the newer trans it would be great. The 3.9 seems to be a gerat cars as you guys say, and i want know can it beat a car like say a 06 Mustang V6? Not the older one or the new one i mean like the one in that year that my friend says can do 0-60 in like 7secs and quarter-mile in like 15.5 or low 15s. The reason why i mention this car is cause i would like something that can beat that car which my buddy has with an Intake, i want to beat it with something stock and something that is as fast as the GTP/SS S/C. I set the power of a car i look for after that mustang cause it seems to be pretty quick at those times but its just what i think i go by. Also i look for a sedan cause people around here dont think there as faster or faster than coupes.

But ya im just wanting to know can that 3.9 Impala beat it or come close to it, and with all the bolt on mods i can do to it can it really make the impala quicker than the S/C SS or almost as fast as the V8?

Thanks again for all the advice and no your not being dick or anything just trying to warn me of things that may happen with the car which i like to here so i know to be careful. And i diffidently will take care of this car really really well. Also most of the Impalas around here the 06+ have been rental cars, are those ok to buy as long as i look at everything and its fine?

Thanks again guys you gave me great info on the impala and know a lot.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
A v6 mustang would smoke a impala.

If you absolutely have to get one get a 12 or 13

And like I said my v6 3.5l went through two transmissions in 95k miles it's not just the ss with problems.

This isn't the car for the occasional stop light race at all.

Just trying to save yourself some regret down the road that I'm having now.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Have u seen a turbo focus run?? Those things are way faster than the impala and there is already an aftermarket quickly building.for them :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya im think of just sticking with the 12 or 13 impala, 300HP and a better transmission. If i have to ill maybe get the 3.9 Impala IF i have to, but the new impala seems better and way faster. As for the focus id take a Cobalt SS/TC over that crap ford. The Cobalt SS/TC will kill that focus, i would get one but i cant drive shift.

The cars i was thinking of before the impala was the GTP/SS S/C or the Cobalt SS/NA since its a Auto but the impala seems to be better(The new one). If i ever get the 3.9, would bolt on mods make it pretty quick or just a waste? The tranny could hold or could go out anytime on the impala, at 40k 10k or even 150k. Its just time. But i will i think just stick with the new 3.6

BTW is the news 3.6 impala pretty reliable and strong engine and car? Also if you guys say the impala is not that good what other 4 door pretty quick good MPG auto cars can you think of to get that's pretty cheap and easy to work on? Right know i like the impala since the rental i had of the new 3.6

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Sf9777, it's great that you're considering an Impala! I just wanted to jump on this thread quickly to let you know that if you have your eye on a particular Impala, I can always provide its build sheet. Just private message anytime me with the last eight of its VIN, and I can send you those details.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

1 - 20 of 221 Posts