Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where is the power steering on a 2000 chevy impala V6 3.8 I need to check the level because i think is low does any one knows where is located thank you

·
Registered
358 Posts
its on the passenger side right near the firewall, its pretty far down in there with a picture of a steering wheel on the cap..

·
Registered
8 Posts
all the way down there u need a long neck funnel just to add fluid and a flashlight would be handy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

mounted really low on the bock to, so its kind of a pain to find. Flashlight will help, but just follw the belt to the bottom left corner (if standing @ pass side fender) it will be the lowest and last thing you hit ;) You can see it in this pic, right above the oil filter

·
Registered
12 Posts
power steering

it's best to get at it from the front. wait till your car cools down and place a towel over the engine. ther is a bar that you have to get past to reach it. it's best to your first two fingrs and your thumb to get it off. also use the long neck funnel from the front too just over wires and it will slide right in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
just so you know

this does not ever come up when you search the site...

I found this 4 hours later in a bing search...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know, I know. This is a really old thread but if someone comes across it via a Google search like I did, here is what I picked up from a 2 minute YouTube video today:

Get the coolant reservoir out of the way for more access without a lot of trouble >>>

Remove the two nuts on the strut tower that hold down the tubular cross member that runs from strut to strut. Lift the cross member up and over to the firewall.
Remove the two bolts for the reservoir and ease the container up and to the front of the engine.
Should be able to get a hand down there with room to shine a light.

http://youtu.be/lLi4-cOXsTw

I guess that would help a bunch with handling the serpentine belt replacement too. I have a groaning whine that I think is power steering related. Certainly more pronounced noise at cold temps and when turning out of my parking spot in the mornings in the winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts