Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chevy caprice classic 83 and i need to replace the belts, but i am a visual person so i need to see what i am doing.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if you have a napa auto parts store go there they still sell Chilton's manuals

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to the auto parts store and purchase a Manuel on Chevrolet cars with the caprice, if they don't have the one you need ask one of the sales people if it can be ordered for you.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The Hayes Manual I have cover the 69 through 90 series and does not show the belts. It shows how to check them. It does say to look under the hood that there should be a sticker that tells you the placement of the belts. If yours is gone might try a salvage yard.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
For some reason - two things are impossible to find online: Belt routing and vaccuum routing. Haynes wont help you with more than lighten Your wallet. Its an mostly useless book.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have both the Haynes and Chilton's and I do prefer the Chilton's hands down.

Chilton's manuals do have the vacuum routing, just don't have the belt routing.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Why do you need it? It's not a serpentine, it should be pretty obvious where they go. Worst case, take a picture before you take the belts off to reference. But I really can't see how you could do it wrong...

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
The belt for my AC werent connected and AutoZone gave me the wrong belt three times. They aswell as other stores have no idea on how the routing should be. And since You have to install them in a correct order its time consuming and really annoying to have to try over and over again. And as I wrote earlier, Ive gotten the wrong belt several times. Chevrolet here have no idea, dont think the´ve sold (or seen) a Caprice since the early 80´s. Also to make it even funnier some Caprices have airpump and some dont, and on some models it seems like the AC and the alternator are on totally different positions from mine.
Mine has NO aiprump, only PS, AC, Gen, waterpump and then the crank ofcourse.
Also, its possible to make the belt from my AC and Gen to fit either of the tracks in the water and crank pulley.:gaah::biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts